Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger job for M&P

jason237m

I'm looking for a gunsmith that will actually answer email (I won't name names) that can do trigger work on an M&P pro. I'm looking to use it for both IDPA and USPSA production so there are limits to what I can do.

Any suggestions?

If you're looking for a local gunsmith, I'm sure posting your location will get some replies. Other than that, I just use all drop in parts from APEX. You can get as low as 2 pounds depending on what you mix and match and most of their stuff is polished already, so it gets rid of that gritty take up.

I don't know of one including mine. But I sympathize. I fail to understand how anyone in business would publish an email address then just ignore it. Yet it is all too common. Busy is not an excuse. My take it is rude and or stupid but either way a good signal for me to go elsewhere. I have learned through experience not to beg anyone to take my money. Nothing good comes of that.

I too never got a reply from Burwell after several emails and PM to him. Very unprofessional.

So after several months I ordered the kit from Apex. I am glad I did it myself because it taught me about the innerworkings of the M&P. Now if something breaks or needs replacing, I can do it and not have to send my gun away and be without it for a week or more.

Trust me. Get the parts from Apex, watch the youtube videos, and you will be very happy.

The competition kit I installed works great, really improved the trigger and is legal for IPSC, IDPA and everything else.

Good luck.

I too never got a reply from Burwell after several emails and PM to him. Very unprofessional.

So after several months I ordered the kit from Apex. I am glad I did it myself because it taught me about the innerworkings of the M&P. Now if something breaks or needs replacing, I can do it and not have to send my gun away and be without it for a week or more.

Trust me. Get the parts from Apex, watch the youtube videos, and you will be very happy.

The competition kit I installed works great, really improved the trigger and is legal for IPSC, IDPA and everything else.

Good luck.

+1. I never got a reply from him either. Went with Apex and couldn't be happier.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of one including mine. But I sympathize. I fail to understand how anyone in business would publish an email address then just ignore it. Yet it is all too common. Busy is not an excuse. My take it is rude and or stupid but either way a good signal for me to go elsewhere. I have learned through experience not to beg anyone to take my money. Nothing good comes of that.

Actually before you hang a person for not answering your very special email. Dan runs a doctors office and runs USPS matches at his club on top of shooting for smith and Wesson. He tinkers with guns on the side of all that. Find me another gunsmith that gives you a PDF. On how to do the exact trigger job yourself? Anybody?

SDM, I was not addressing Dan just any professional that does answer emails. To me it is just like someone ignoring you when you speak or not returning a phone call. It is simply rude and unprofessional. I have known many people who are as busy as anyone who found time to answer their mail. The fix is simple if you can't manage your time so that you can see that your emails are answered just don't publish one.

Also, I do not appreciate your sarcasm in reference to my "very special email's". This is not arfcom.

I have the Burwell competition trigger job on my pro. I started out with the apex comp kit because I was not able to get in touch with him. I finally got the pistol to him, and his trigger job was worth the wait! It made my m&p trigger very similar to a 1911. He really did a great job. I like it better than the apex comp kit , but I have not tried the forward set sear.

Dan Burwell is the very best at M&P work, especially triggers.

I need a smith that will respond to email and/or messages.

try facebook, he is a victum of his sucess, works a real job, shoots, etc. but worth the wait be sure to ask for the pretravel/over travel work

Ditto on the APEX kit! I installed one in my M&P Pro, including the new trigger, and it was the best $180 dollars I have ever spent on a trigger job. As for stipling, have you thought about grip tape? Dawsons Precision has pre-cut tape for the M&Ps.

Doug

With some elbow grease and a few common tools (Files, Drill, Dremel, etc), you can make an M&P trigger really smooth and crisp trigger pull/break by using all of the existing parts/springs. The only "Upgrades" that I recommend when doing a competition trigger job is the APEX Competition Spring Kit ($25) and APEX RAM ($22) if you want a low 2lb trigger pull weight with a nice reset feel/sound. If all you want is a 2.75 - 3lb trigger pull then that can be done with all of the existing parts.

I have probably done 25+ trigger jobs on M&P pistols and tried all of the trick APEX drop in parts verses the stock parts. The APEX drop in parts are good, but you still need to work on them to fully optimize the parts. The way I see it, if I have to screw around with modifying the parts to optimize it why waste the money on the drop in parts? You can do the exact same modifications to the stock parts and achieve the same results.

I also don't want to make it sound like I am fishing for M&P Trigger Job business, that is not my intent. I don't have an FFL and don't want everyone and their brother shipping me their M&P's to do trigger jobs. I am just pointing out the facts of it being possible without a lot of specialized tools or parts.

Edited by CHA-LEE