Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is more important to you, overall finish or division finish

ProGunGuy

I look for overall, not there yet but consistently top 10, sometimes 5. I think of ssp and esp the same. For the good shooters that shoot CDP, I spot them 3 seconds on the stages where they need the 2nd reload. Gives me an idea of how I'm doing.

Overall. Especially on idpa since everything other than revolver isn't different enough to matter b

I do, in fact, shoot a revolver (SSR). At local level matches, there still isn't enough difference, IMO, to matter that much, so I look to overall. I'm under no illusions at larger sanctioned matches, though. Besides, my goal there is to take DC, so I keep my focus.

Tom

Overall. Especially on idpa since everything other than revolver isn't different enough to matter b

I do, in fact, shoot a revolver (SSR). At local level matches, there still isn't enough difference, IMO, to matter that much, so I look to overall. I'm under no illusions at larger sanctioned matches, though. Besides, my goal there is to take DC, so I keep my focus.

Tom

I did finish second overall once shooting ESR lol.

I look for overall, not there yet but consistently top 10, sometimes 5. I think of ssp and esp the same. For the good shooters that shoot CDP, I spot them 3 seconds on the stages where they need the 2nd reload. Gives me an idea of how I'm doing.

Same here.

Tom

I did finish second overall once shooting ESR lol.

^^^ I managed to finish 3rd out of 17 at a local mid week practice match shooting ESR. Its fun thinking that I make auto loaders feel bad....

I like to look at overall. I'm under no illusion that I'm going to beat any of the master level shooters now so I try to look at how I placed relative to shooters in my classification or skill level. I'm now classified as MM but my scores at local matches are at the high side of SS or low side of EX. As long as I'm having fun and improving I don't really care about the exact number I place in. It does feel good to get in the top ten but it's all relative to the competition. Getting in the top ten if there is only 11 people is still coming in next to last.

what sperman and koski said.

class is almost totally irrelevant to me. I see it as a special-olympics ego stroking device.The exception is regarding people I don't know, I at least get an idea of what their skill level is.

Division is slightly more interesting, but like most, I consider esp and ssp the same.

Overall gives a better idea of how I shot, but even better than that is comparing to individuals that I know are better than me. If I am closer to a few of them (or even beat a few of them), then I figure I must have done ok. If I do better on certain stage, but worse on others, then I try to figure out what it is about the bad stages that I can improve on.

looks likes lots of votes to get rid of arbitrary divisions based on trigger type. Always found it odd that IDPA which presents itself as a civilian concealed carry type game, makes a rule set that makes carry guns non competitive, Guns should be separated by size and weight not triggers.

Division finish. you should be shooting against your division and classification. that is why there are different times for classifier in each division. some division is just faster than the other. SSR vs ESP for example. I have not seen an SSR shooter win overall in any matches I have been to... duh

What Sperman said mostly (how well I did compared to my ability).

Around here there usually isn't enough competition in my division, so I look at overall numbers first.

Ya smoked everyone at Idaho. :bow::cheers:

yeah, if koski wants more competition, he needs to shoot uspsa.

I start with division, but overall is is more important to me. It seems to be a better indicator because of the larger sample size. We might have 5-10 in the division, and not always the same people. But we normally have 80-100 shooters.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Overall for me as well, especially in smaller, local matches. But for large matches, overall is nice but I'm not in that top tier to really compete for overall, so a top 3 finish in my division is preferable.