Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most disliked phrases and sayings and why

wadrew

I was reminded today how I am irritated by white kids from privileged backgrounds attempting to speak as if they are black kids from depressed, inner city areas. I find it especially objectionable when they affect the combination of the Ebonic speech patterns, vocabulary and unique phrases, and a pseudo-urban youth accent. It's beyond revolting.

I find it even more irritating when kids who share my Filipino heritage do the same. Why pick and choose only negative elements from another culture?!!! ARGH! :angry:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dude, I hope you have a nice day after you jump out of a perfectly good f*#kin airplane. If you dont step off though Im gonna put a cap in yo'ass! And you had best be a nimble mo'fo bailin out. But to be honest I hope you land on your feet and that I will be watchin you 24/7. However the fact of the matter is, like, I hope you feel better dude after you bottem out. Do you know what I mean? Peace Love.

I know that someone here can do better than that!!!

I was reminded today how I am irritated by white kids from privileged backgrounds attempting to speak as if they are black kids from depressed, inner city areas. I find it especially objectionable when they affect the combination of the Ebonic speech patterns, vocabulary and unique phrases, and a pseudo-urban youth accent. It's beyond revolting.

I completely agree with that one!

We have a DJ on the radio who does that same thing. He's white and the son of a vicar, yet speaks as though he's a member of the "Compton Posse".

I can just imagine his father in church:

"Yo yo yo people, and me man J, say to 'dem deeesiples 'one of you bro's is going to diss me big time'"

I really hate the following that often come from senior management at my company:

That's where the rubber meets the road

At the end of the day it is what it is

Right, wrong or indifferent

It's a one off

Katie bar the door

Front burner

Now that I think about it I hate the term senior management, the only people that use it are "senior managers" to try to impress everyone else or make it sound like everyhting they meet about is top secret or super important. The only other time you hear it is when it is bad news. Senior management decided bonuses will not be paid this year.

When handling someone else's firearm, I always ask for permission before dry firing the thing. I *hate* it when they reply: "Sure, it won't hurt it."

Duh. Look... I know it won't hurt it. Quit insulting my intelligence. It won't hurt my Harley for you to sit on it or my wife for you to dance with her, but you sure better ask permission before attempting either.

Celt out.

Looks as if there is enough material here for a book but it has already been done.

The Dimwit's Dictionary

5,000 Overused Words and Phrases

The Dictionary of Concise Writing

The Plain English Campaign Awards http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/awards.html

I really dislike “just a second” because I know that you can’t get back to me, or find that information for me or take care of my problem in a second. You’re already late.

geezer

I really dislike “just a second” because I know that you can’t get back to me, or find that information for me or take care of my problem in a second. You’re already late.

geezer

I always counter that one with, "OK, Time's up"

How about those answering telephones with "Can you hold please?" Click without waiting for an answer........No, I can not hold I am just as important as the other person and I will call someone who wants my business :ph34r: If you couldn't talk to me why did you answer the telephone???????

Maybe this is what the English hate so much of us Americans. How we use so many colloquialisms ( is that even in the dictionary?) is I think a part of our multi-ethnic society but let me "...axe you dis..., can't we all just get along?" You know, you know, you know... I try to just learn to appreciate all the regional quotes and take them for what they are, regional. Don't mean to "...diss you..." but some times this is irritating. I myself don't appreciate those who use lingo that excludes others present from understanding. Just like foreigners using their language when they don't want you to hear... If they only knew...

Not a phrase, but a pseudo-word....

WALLA

The first time I saw it in a forum, I had no idea what was meant. I now believe people who type "walla" mean to say "voila". Or, they just hate French, and want a shorthand way to say, "whoop, dere it is".

You know? :P

Lee

My pet peeve is: "I could care less."

It's supposed to be "I couldn't care less."

The former indicates it is possible for you to be less concerned about a particular topic.

The latter indicates that you care so little about a particular topic that it would be impossible for you to be any less concerned.

"Walla" ...I can't stand that one, either...sometimes I see "Wa-La", too.

It's actually: "voila."

There is no "w" to be found anywhere.

And while we're at it, I can't stand people who speak French, but who can't really speak it. I'll clue in all the morons at OLN. It's pronounced "Toor duh Frahce". NOT "Tour day France." (Where are the phonetic symbols on the keyboard when you really need them)

If you can't handle that, say "Tour of France" with the proper English pronunciation. Franglais just doesn't cut it among educated people.