Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most disliked phrases and sayings and why

wadrew

Here they are:

"that's death on a relationship" -- The only thing that kill a relationship is what we choose to or allow to bring any degree of ruin into a relationship.

"I'm okay" -- There are differing degrees of okay. I wish people would awnser the question instead of avoiding it. Be freaking real.... how someone is doing is not like a 0% or 100% light switch. If you don't want to awnser, then say something like...."could I think about it?" or "let me get back to you on that" or "Could I not awnser that right now?"

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, like this one:

"How are you?"

"Fine and you?"

"Fine. You, know I have this splitting headache, my back is killing me, my wife's in bed with the gardener, my dog bit my son and when I shot the dog I shot a hole into my boss's car..."

If you are not fine - DO NOT SAY SO OR SAY NOTHING! :angry:

Most people who ask you "how are you?" really don't care one way or another. We have come to use that phrase as a greeting rather than, "hello" or "good morning."

I mean, if you really don't care how I am doing, don't ask.

Or how about the multiple meanings of "nothing" as in:

"Honey, what's wrong"

"Nothing"

That word used at that point could mean nothing is wrong, or "I'm searching for the combination to your gun safe" or anything in between. That is usually a good time to lay low for a little while and see which way the wind is blowing.

FWIW

dj

I know these are not strictly phrases or sayings, but...

"e.g." vs. "i.e."-The former means "for example." Example: "Red sauces (e.g., marinara) contain ripe tomatoes." The latter, "i.e.," introduces a restatement, preferably to clarify what precedes it. Example: "Shoot the stage the way it was intended, i.e., through the ports."

"Like"-Use it properly or don't use it. "Like" is used to introduce a simile. IT IS NOT PUNCTUATION!!! :angry:

There are more, but these are the two big ones.

L

I frequently negotiate business transactions. In that context, I hate the phrase: "the fact of the matter is . . . [inject opinion here]. "

This phrase is usually used as in introduction to an opinion or subjective viewpoint. Opinions and subjective viewpoints are anything but "the fact of the matter."

There's nothing wrong with having and expressing an opinion or subjective viewpoint, but asserting them as a fact, IMO, belies the credibility of the speaker.

This is my opinion and NOT the fact of the matter. :rolleyes:

In spoken English, hearing, "You know," over and over again makes me want to put my head in a vise and crank the handle.

Another is the apparent inability to incorporate either "I" for "me" properly. When I hear someone say, "Just between you and I," I wan't grind my teeth to powder using only jaw power.

"I'm sorry" or "I'm sorry to hear that" from people who don't know you, and quite honestly wouldn't give a S*^T it you were hit by a truck in the next five minutes. No, your not sorry, and on the same line of how much you mean to me, "Have a nice day."

I hate the use of;

"it's the indian and not the arrow"

and

"my (insert gun type here) shoots better than I can do anyway."

Everytime I read those I just seize up a little bit. People who use these phrases should be beaten with a large pointy object until they change their ways!

-ld

Hi, like how are you? Sorry to hear that, you know.

Okay, you know, the fact or the matter is, you know, I just basically wish that you and me will have a very unique day (i.e., like finding free money-kind of day), you know?

"I hate the use of "their" to refer to an individual of indeterminate gender. I even saw it in an online personal ad: "I'm looking for someone who is confident with themselves""
Perhaps he's seeking an employee with multiple personalities..... One isn't 'confident with oneself' anyway; one is either simply confident or NOT. Not "with", for pete's sake.
"Can I get back to you on that...?" ("How are you..?")
Now THAT one I like. ;)

Maybe a bit off topic, but I hate "dude-speak"; specifically certain terms misused to describe firearms. For example: (terms italicized)

"Dude! I found a cherry Hi Point 9mm at da gunshow! Tag on it said used but I think its virgin! Seller told me a secret - its the rare dual tone & its a collector's item but he'd let it go at the regular retail price; whata deal! Even came with 2 clips! To shoot it, I got a little stash of +p bullets loaded with hollow tips! Them hollow tips explode if you hit somebody ya know & I think they got banned or something but I still got my stash!"

It must be the use of illicit drug and sex lingo that bothers me.

I am SOOOOOOO sick and tired of "Have a nice day!" or "Have a great day!" that I have almost no words for it!! Why--why??!!!--do people persist in continually saying this utterly meaningless, idiotic phrase????!!! It's about as meaningful as a yellow smiley-face, for cryin' out loud!!

Whenever the subject of skydiving comes up, someone without fail will say, "I just can't see jumping out of a perfectly good airplane." Then they will laugh and look at you for approval and agknowlegement that they are sooooo clever. Yea, they might be if they made it up!

"Tell us how you really feel." Said just after someone else has ranted (as above). Not creative and just stupid. Everyone should be able to rant to someone else every once in a while without their rant being nulified by a idiotic saying like that. Here's a basic humor rule - Things that are meant to be funny - should be.

Last but not least, "Sounds like a personal problem." Still thought to be funny by some though I can't figure out why. Not creative and just plain stupid. People who think that is funny also tend to laugh at any take off of "Truth, truth, you can't handle the truth." Basic humor rule # 2 If every english speaking person on the planet has heard the statement before at least ten times, it's probably not going to be funny. Think old Saturday night live, much of what made the skits so funny was the unexpected.