Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most disliked phrases and sayings and why

wadrew

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is it that them folks over in them south have to start every sentence with, "I tell you what..."

Just flip to Outdoor channel and pick any hunting show. Every other sentence starts with "I tell you what..."

Any time someone uses that a lot, the moment they say that, I answer with "What?"

Certain people out there speak from their collection of dumb verbal crutches full-time rather than from the heart or from god-given imagination. I drove up to the teller window at the bank a month or so ago and executed a simple transaction... the young guy (new at that branch, I noted) uttered a total of about four responses, ALL of which were crutchy cliches of a very stupid nature, including: "No problem.", "How's it goin'?" and (my all time freakin'-hate-it fave) "Have a good one...!" If he ever does it to me again I'm reporting him. I nearly did the first time. It's not only bad breeding it's atrocious customer service! :angry:

Any sort of repetitive "filler" is annoying to just about everyone, whether it be "uh," "um," "y'know," "seewhutI'msayin'," or a variety of other similar insertions.

The use of f*ck'n is really prevlent around the local high schools, or for the nicer kids heck'a. I even hear some adult neighbors who use f'n almost every other word, its terrible.

Every time mine daughter slips and says that (heck'a, if she used the other she would be blowing bubbles) in the house I make her repeat whatever she was saying to me.

• 1 month later...

When I was coaching college radio students (or, for that matter, when I was being coached and reviewed by my own Program Directors at commercial stations) we regularly conducted what we called "airchecks" where we plopped a cassette into a recorder that was mike-actuated on the broadcast system, then later listened back and reviewed what we did during our shift.

Well, airchecks are great for learning. And it was really great getting to tell the college kids how many times they said (insert abominable cliche here) in a 15-minute period or some such. They were forced to face the reality of their on-air 'crutches' with firm, solid evidence... on tape. Gotcha. The rest of the term was usually spent getting them to try and break their bad habits. :rolleyes:

This same 'gotcha' method was applied to commercial radio jocks, too, who had dumb-ass crutches they were sometimes using... sometimes they didn't even fully realize they were doing it. But they did when the PD threatened to fire them (or move them to the graveyard shift) if they didn't knock it off. <_<

Aircheck = Gotcha

Like it or not, like is here to stay. A study was done a year or two ago about speach habits and trends. Among other things one of the findings was how prevelant the use of "like" was in all english speaking countries. They found that "like" was being used very specificly, excessively but still specificly, which ment that it had now become a part of the english language. I saw it on a CBC show about the difference between Canadian, American, and British english today and from the past. It was very interesting. So like, deal with it :P

As for another hated saying, "you can see it visually" is often said by my shops engineers. It drives me nutz, how the hell else are you supposed to see something?

"Irregardless" is also a word, though not one that is widely accepted.

A guy at work used to correct anyone that used this term until one day in a meeting someone brought a dictionary and advised him that it is really a word...

Other annoyances:

"priceless" :wacko:

"yeah, no" when answering a question - which is it you confused bung-hole :angry: ? Once you start noticing people saying this it will drive you insane because it has become the new "like, ya know"

"kick-ass" as in, I have a "kick-ass" stereo...dude <_<

"WIN - WIN" = I don't want to make a decision either way so neither of you is going to get what you want or deserve.

"Pick your battles" - usually this one is thrown out by someone that has never stood up for a single issue in their life. <_<

A guy at work used to correct anyone that used this term until one day in a meeting someone brought a dictionary and advised him that it is really a word...

"Ain't" is in the dictionary too, but it ain't a proper word, irregardless of its appearance in dictionaries.

repetitive fillers in speech are used most by people who attempt to speak before they know what they want to say and how they want to say it..and most of all by those who lack the skill to form logical complete sentences that express their thoughts in a concise manner.. :P

repetitive fillers in speech are used most by people who attempt to speak before they know what they want to say and how they want to say it..and most of all by those who lack the skill to form logical complete sentences that express their thoughts in a concise manner.. :P

Reminds me of - Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate Moth&&*$%^@#! ;):D:D

• 1 month later...
I was reminded today how I am irritated by white kids from privileged backgrounds attempting to speak as if they are black kids from depressed, inner city areas.  I find it especially objectionable when they affect the combination of the Ebonic speech patterns, vocabulary and unique phrases, and a pseudo-urban youth accent.  It's beyond revolting.:

I work in a jail, and I see/hear this all day long. I don't understand it!

----------------------

I also can't stand seeing the word "yeah" and "yea" used incorrectly. "Yeah" is what you say when you agree with someone. "Yea" is what you say when you're cheering for someone.

I also can't stand people who misspell words, and then make the excuse, "I'm not good at spelling." I would rather they say, "I'm lazy." Learn how to spell a word, and write it correctly!!!

traxman