Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti edge: Dawson or brazo

cookiemonster

I once owned a Brazos tuned Edge; with the exception of an extractor (STI standard extractor) that needed to be re-tensioned after about 4-5k rounds the gun was well fit, accurate and ran and ran. Had another Brazos limited gun that I regret parting with. I think it boils down to personal preference as both smiths do excellent work.

Both guns will run for you. I have a Brazos and the only reasons were $100 cheaper and they had them in stock. If you do go with the Brazos, get a 4-pack of tuned magazines. Its some cash up front, but they are worth it.

Both guns will run for you. I have a Brazos and the only reasons were $100 cheaper and they had them in stock. If you do go with the Brazos, get a 4-pack of tuned magazines. Its some cash up front, but they are worth it.

Will they test the mags with the gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will they test the mags with the gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but you will need to buy the gun with the mags at the same time or send the gun back for the mags to be tested, if you buy them later.

I just received my edge and four tuned mags from Dawson two weeks ago. They did there super tuned stuff to both. I only have about 500 rounds through it but so far so good....no issues. I don't think you can go wrong with either, both get great reviews.

This thread sparked my curiosity so I asked my friend that spends a lot of time in Dawsons shop, he works on their CNC machines about what Dawson does on the guns. He said that the Edge and Eagle packages (HPF or Tuned) they actually make sure the gun runs. But those are the only two. Now he said the benefit of buying from Dawson otherwise is if the gun has problems it first goes back to STI, and if they don't fix it then it can be sent to Dawson and he will fix it. He also added that when buying another gun like a open gun you could ask to have it tuned at extra cost.

I have the HPF Edge that came from Dawson, I bough it used unfired, and it has run from day one, its a tank eats anything never upchuks or chokes, even with my old untuned mags.

I bought my 6 " Eagle from Dawson, but didnt pay any extra for "tuning". My deal was with STI, Id expect STI to make it run. I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on a product, then pay a third party to get it to work. SOrry aint happening. I wouldnt do it on a $25 toaster, wont do it on a $2000 gun.

Dawson did put a magwell and front sight on for me, gun was dead on zeroed, and basically ran like a top and super accurate on American Eagle ammo. SHot it for a couple years in ten round land like that, I did tune and build better mags when I moved to VA and could have full capacity. But the gun ran fine on the factory 10 rounders.

I started running the Dawson Super-Tuned CRP Edge this year in April. I've only got 5k rounds through it, but it has never had any issues. Mainly reloads for ammo, but I put a couple hundred factory .40S&W through it with no issues. I really like it.

I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on a product, then pay a third party to get it to work. SOrry aint happening. I wouldnt do it on a $25 toaster, wont do it on a $2000 gun.

This I agree 100%

But In my neck of woods, in a land far far away, we are at the mercy of the third party :(

Edited by BoyGlock

I would just prefer to pay Dawson so it runs right the first time without having to pay multiple trips back to STI to get them to fix it. Case in point my friend purchased a 45 Tactical from STI direct and it took 4 trips at $75 a trip in shipping to get the gun to run. I purchased a Edge from Dawson with the reliability tune for $300 at the time and its ran fine and no hassle in shipping.

I bought my 6 " Eagle from Dawson, but didnt pay any extra for "tuning". My deal was with STI, Id expect STI to make it run. I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on a product, then pay a third party to get it to work.

Agreed, but I don't look at the "tuning" as getting it to work. It is getting it to work smoother, faster, more reliably. Edges don't come from the factory so out of whack they won't shoot, but both Dawson & Brazos perform some fine tuning to their CRP Tuned & HP guns to make them a little more tuned for competition.

This thread sparked my curiosity so I asked my friend that spends a lot of time in Dawsons shop, he works on their CNC machines about what Dawson does on the guns. He said that the Edge and Eagle packages (HPF or Tuned) they actually make sure the gun runs. But those are the only two. Now he said the benefit of buying from Dawson otherwise is if the gun has problems it first goes back to STI, and if they don't fix it then it can be sent to Dawson and he will fix it. He also added that when buying another gun like a open gun you could ask to have it tuned at extra cost.

I have the HPF Edge that came from Dawson, I bough it used unfired, and it has run from day one, its a tank eats anything never upchuks or chokes, even with my old untuned mags.

When I had issues from day one and called, the answer given to me was to send it to STI, eventhough I'd paid extra to have it gone though/tuned.

I know of 3 other shooters that had issues, and were told the same thing.

When I called STI, they sent me a call tag,and paid all of the shipping. They asked me why I didn't send it back to Dawson, and I told them. They apparently weren't happy about it, because they called Dawson, and a V.P. from Dawson called me and asked if I remembered who I'd talked to that told me to send it to STI, and said if I wasn't happy when the pistol came back, to contact him personally, and he would take care of it.

The good news is that the pistol runs perfect NOW, like it SHOULD have from day one.

I myself have been in this same boat and I have been wondering what the differences are between a Dawson CRP Edge, Dawson Super Tuned Edge, and a Brazos High Performance Edge. Also of the 3 what would be the better choice for someone that will end up running factory ammo much more often than reloads from Atlanta or DC.

My CRP Edge has been a runner from day 1 - over 95% reliable through the first 1,000 rounds of mixed factory ammo and absolutely solid with the long-loaded stuff I'm pressing myself. All with untuned factory STI mags... Mine was pretty much good-to-go right from Dawson.

Between my own experience and what I've seen with Brazos guns at local matches, you really can't go wrong!!

I myself have been in this same boat and I have been wondering what the differences are between a Dawson CRP Edge, Dawson Super Tuned Edge, and a Brazos High Performance Edge. Also of the 3 what would be the better choice for someone that will end up running factory ammo much more often than reloads from Atlanta or DC.

My CRP Edge has only hiccuped 4-5 times on factory ammo in its first 1,250 rounds (barely even broken in!) and absolutely loves 1.180" loads. I think AA&A and others Precision Delta (?) sell long-loaded ammunition for USPSA competition that makes Major.

So, if my "lowly" CRP Edge will eat the factory stuff, any of the three options should work extremely well.

FYI, you might want to test a LOT of different factory ammo in 165 and 180 gr that is listed to make Major PF - I found a HUGE difference between manufacturers in both the force and impulse characteristics felt during recoil.

I have the Brazos HP Edge, and at the time of purchase I mentioned to Bob that I would only be shooting factory ammo. My gun has never hiccupped. I guess that is just part of the reliability tune that he performs.