Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 in 9mm and why

Red Ryder

The best 1911 is the one you can afford and that personally you enjoy.

The "best" is very subjective...you HAVE to provide more information. You're going to get everything from a Taurus to an Heirloom to a Singer.

FO Front with adjustable rear is the best sight combo for competition imo.

Slim grips, checkered front strap, No front cocking serrations. Nice trigger 4lb or less, good fit and finish. Reliable! Hard chrome or blued? I used to have a colt officer's model in 45. I will NeVer own another colt. Jam-o-matic even after it was worked over by famous gunsmith. I have interest in the STI Trojan or Sentry. I wonder what the Kimbers are like? I have a Les Baer 45 and I am not sure I want to pay that much for a game gun.

Edited by Red Ryder

The best 1911 is the one you can afford and that personally you enjoy.

The "best" is very subjective...you HAVE to provide more information. You're going to get everything from a Taurus to an Heirloom to a Singer.

FO Front with adjustable rear is the best sight combo for competition imo.

I believe it's a John Harrison worked over EMP. :goof:

"Best" would probably something custom built from a bare frame. I think the best gun to get into shooting competitively for a reasonable price is an STI Spartan. Has most of the features I want (except an ambi safety, mag well, and checkering) and only runs about $625.

I believe it's a John Harrison worked over EMP. :goof:

:D Yea but it's not very competition-friendly.

OP, I'm a huge fan of STI, I shoot a Spartan. Can't go wrong with STI, the Trojan would be a great choice, or just use your Baer.

I have enjoyed my STI Trojan. Had it four years took a little tuning springs, trigger job, Dawson front sight and an aftec extractor to get it to run 100%.

Tried several magazines and settled on Wilson. Needed to remove two coils from the magazine springs to get them to run but I like the heavier body and they polish up nice. Added an Ed Brown magazine release and mag well. Once completed had it Hard Chromed by Tripp, don't think he does that work any more. Put enough rounds through it that I replaced the barrel with a Kart this year.

Just a ball to shoot, 9mm ammo is cheap to build and I like the heavier bullets with Solo 1000 and run light springs, 10lb recoil and a 15lb mainspring.

I'd like to build a 2011 Eagle in 9mm would run a little more on cost but it a good way to go in IDPA ESP along with Limited minor in USPSA.

Which pistol you select expect to spend a little getting it just the way you want it.

Edited by Bob DuBois

I have several Wilson's , STI USPSA Edition, custon 1911 on STI Forged frame and a Trojan. If I was going to buy another 1911 and price was no object it would be another Trojan. It is an excellent gun right out of the box. Mine has adjustable sights/FO front and an ambi safety. The only thing I have done to it was lightening the trigger to 2 lbs.

When I saw a lightly used Les Baer custom 5" 9mm on Gunbroker, I decided I better buy it because I would probably never see another one.

My gun has a correct two-tone finish, 20-lpi checkering on the front strap, 1-1/2" guarantee at 50 yards, and it runs perfectly. I installed a FO front sight and tuned the trigger.

I cannot imagine how a 1911 in 9mm could be any better.