Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was the Nats being in Vegas one of the reason you went?

ProGunGuy

More and more international shooters are attending the Nationals when the Nationals are in Vegas.. Just like someone have said... better airfare, food, lodging, shopping, bring the family, gun friendly, no rain, etc.

about st. george, i have not gone there yet.. so i do not know if it can handle the amount of shooters... not talking about the range but lodging, etc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More and more international shooters are attending the Nationals when the Nationals are in Vegas.. Just like someone have said... better airfare, food, lodging, shopping, bring the family, gun friendly, no rain, etc.

about st. george, i have not gone there yet.. so i do not know if it can handle the amount of shooters... not talking about the range but lodging, etc.

looking at these stats, LV is in the top 10 of foreign visitors.

http://www.travelersdigest.com/visited_us_cities.htm

I doubt they would hold the nats at any other of the place other than Fla.

I wondered the same thing. But the week before Area 1 next year St. George is hosting an Ironman that brings about an extra 5000 people into town. If they can easily handle events with 10 times the number of people a Nationals brings in I think they can handle us.

Desert Sportsmans in Vegas is a Great facility. You don't have to drink, gamble, or chase women if you don't want to.

As Racer said Vegas is alot more enticing to spouses than most other venues.As with anything else it's what you make of it that counts.If you can have a good time in St. George, Tulsa, Vegas , or Timbuktu thats whats important.

It gets really difficult to hold Nationals in the same venue for several years in a row. Compound that when you are running three Nationals in the same venue. On top of that you have a volunteer staff trying to build three National matches a year. At some point you are very quickly going to reach burnout. I'm not saying Vegas was there. I would be if I was them. Out of curiousity, what about the range in Vegas is so great? Not the surrounding area but that actual range. I've been shooting there for a lot of years and while it's great that they made a lot of changes and added bays I still see someone bleeding every year from rounds kicked off of big gravel, the range surface is mediocre at best for shooting on, and the place is a dust bowl. The bays on the main range face the west so in the afternoon it's dang near impossible to see the targets because the sun is in your face. On top of that, every time I go to DSRPC I feel like I'm a barely tolerated guest. They've gotten much better in the last couple years but it's the feeling that at any minute they could just kick us out. Don't get me wrong. I like Vegas, a lot. I enjoy the town but between three Nationals, and SHOT I'm there almost 4 weeks a year. I'm good with having a change.

St. George is a very welcoming range. The club and town was extremely welcoming. Very friendly. The range is still fairly new and they are making some changes as well. They have 24 bays there (I think) more than enough for our little Nationals. In fact during Area 1 they had a public shoot on the outside bays that drew almost a 1000 folks from the area for demo shoots and to watch. Didn't impact the match at all.

Bottom line is if you want to shoot a Nationals in Vegas for the next couple years, bring a rifle and shotgun with you. If you want to shoot the pistol Nats it's going to be in St. George and Tulsa for 2013 and... If you really want to come to Vegas, nothing says you can't come in a day or two early, hang out in Vegas and drive the 90 minutes to St. George. Heck if you wanted you could even stay in Vegas and still shoot St. George (I wouldn't but clearly there must be some serious Vegas junkies out there). I do find it telling that the people complaining about St. George (on this board and others) have never been there. The ones that seem to be fine with the move are the ones who have shot there. That's probably a clue.

SNIP

I do find it telling that the people complaining about St. George (on this board and others) have never been there. The ones that seem to be fine with the move are the ones who have shot there. That's probably a clue.

I've never been to the St. George range, have been to DSRPC, and I think the move is great!

i've never shot at st george, but i've stayed there on a mtn biking trip, and it's certainly not a cow town. It's a popular resort destination with hotels, restaurants, golf courses, hiking and biking trails, nearby national parks, beautiful scenery, etc... Way fewer hookers tho.

Considering you live only 90 minutes away, maybe you ought to check the local USPSA club's schedule and plan an overnight or weekend trip there. It would give you a chance to check the range, city, and surrounding area.

Edited by remoandiris

I do find it telling that the people complaining about St. George (on this board and others) have never been there.

My only complaint with St. George is the location. For most of the people shooting the Nationals, from a travel standpoint, there is no difference in St. George and Vegas.

I know there are a bunch of factors that go into chosing a location for Nationals, but it would be great to have it east of the Mississippi again someday.

For me, the Las Vegas location offered me better (cheaper) travel options (airfare; hotel; food) coming from the middle of the ocean. I don't go there for the gambling or free drinks.

There are many choices for shows; restaurants and other types of entertainment (went go carting on this last trip) and my wife did a lot of her Christmas shopping at the malls.

The LV range reminds me of our home range, dirty, dusty, hot so it did not bother me. Didn't get hit with any ricochets so all is good.

The St. Geo. range had a bad smell for one of the days I was there but I guess the wind direction changed and it went away. It too was dusty, dirty but not rocky. There was one snake on the road heading away from the parking lot.

St. Geo. had a Village Inn with great pie.

It's close to Vegas so my travel choices will still be good for 2013.

Been to Tulsa when they first opened there, impressed by the range hostesses and the $3 Coke's and the sod on the range made it look really nice.

I'll consider going to Nationals in the mid-west, not so much on the east coast (due to the higher cost of traveling there and time it takes).

For me the travel to Vegas is not any cheaper and I hate the town. I went to enjoy the Nationals in spite of it being in Vegas. It was better this year since the match hotel was more out on the west side of town and was much nicer than the previous hotel.

I would like to see it back in Tulsa, I go to shoot so I'm not concerned with gambling or dancing girls. Someone mentioned cow tipping in Tulsa, that would be better than the Vegas entertainment. :goof:

Someone mentioned cow tipping in Tulsa, that would be better than the Vegas entertainment. :goof:

Cow tipping is probably pretty sophisticated and cosmopolitan stuff for texans.

(disclaimer, i was born in houston, and my son was born in san angelo, and my wife was born in amarillo)

Considering you live only 90 minutes away, maybe you ought to check the local USPSA club's schedule and plan an overnight or weekend trip there. It would give you a chance to check the range, city, and surrounding area.

I wish i can. nonetheless, Im reserving my trip there when i attend the area 1 next year...

...Bottom line is if you want to shoot a Nationals in Vegas for the next couple years, bring a rifle and shotgun with you...

Is that official?

That the MG Nats will be there or that the Handgun won't? Phil has publicly said several times that the MG Nats will remain in Vegas for at least the duration of his first term. I don't know if he has a signed contract in hand to that effect or not. He has also said that for the next two years he plans on the L/O being in St. George. Who knows what's going on with Tulsa. This is a one time deal as far as I know, If it works it will probably continue if not the Production will probably move somewhere else.

• 1 month later...

As a foreigner (Canadian) I did like that your Nationals were in Vegas. I have only shot one USPSA Nationals in 2011 as i didn't get a spot in 2012. It was easy to get to for me by either air or road ( I live along the eastern slope of the Rockies.) I like the prices of the hotel rooms, the options of places to eat and if a person was so motivated the entertainment.

I shot the Area 1's in 2012 in St. George and i like ST George. while the rooms weren't as cheap as Vegas they were still reasonable (under $100.night is my definition of reasonable.) About my only complaint was i found the food choices lacking. Mainly chain restaurants and i much prefer local type restaurants to a chain any day of the week. Whither flying or driving i don't find St. George hard to get to as the 90 minutes to drive there from Vegas is not a big deal (Frostproof is about 70 from Orlando if my memory serves me correctly.)

For me both locations are great and i have booked holiday time off to attend both the Area 1's and the Nationals.

Vegas is a great venue for a national championship event. There is no place on Earth with more entertainment options. And if you just feel like relaxing, you can ignore all the traditional Vegas stuff and simply stay at a decent motel near the range. The last two years I stayed at the Best Western on Sahara just a few minutes from the range, and it worked out great. You don't have to drink and gamble if you don't want to!

I see no point in St. George, Utah. If you're going to move the match away from all the entertainment options that Las Vegas offers, put it in another part of the country altogether.

So when did having options start being a bad thing? I loved having it in Vegas, most major matches are far from civilization and boring as hell, off the range.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked the last 3 nats in Vegas as an RO. The only reason I could was the cheap air fares to Vegas from the small airline market I live in. I might work the match in St. G since I can still fly cheap to LV. The lowest I can fly to Tulsa is about $500 and since reimbursement is $375 I cant do it. St G is also close enough to drive to for a reasonable cost. I don't really like Vegas much since I dont gamble and my wife wont let me chase chorus girls (and I probably couldnt catch one anyway).