Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your idea of the "ultimate" Limited gun?

kcobean

I've been banging away with my bone stock XDm 5.25 now and after today's match, I think I've finally made B class. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 1911 style gun and man there are a LOT of options out there!!!

I'm curious what you guys with some of the nice 1911 Limited guns think the best platform is or mods that are "must have's". i.e. if you could put any Limited gun or mod item on your wish list, what would it be?

It's kinda up to you as to what works for you, I would get intouch with a gunsmith ( Dan Bedell ) talk to him, he will ask questions.... if you have big or small hands ( to know how to do the grip and trigger ),( if you like to see alot of light on each side of your front sight blade while looking through the rear sight )..ect...ect..Then it is as simple as sending a down payment to get the ball rolln

try as many different types of Limited guns as you can before you dump money into a custom build. many questions to be asked such as light vs. heavy, 5" vs. 6", STI frame/Caspian frame or SV, etc. I started this madness with a stock Glock 22, moved to a Kimber 1911, then to a Para P14, to a couple of heavy 5" STIs and finally ended up with a light 6" STI. Nothing wrong with buying a lightly used gun, shoot it for a bit to decide what you really want, then dive into a full custom.

My Ultimate Limited gun never misses, even when I don't aim, has an endless supply of ammo and never needs mag changes, and has a secret button that transforms it into a Ducati to ride home when I'm done. :goof: .

Edited by Lifeislarge

Start with a new or lightly used STI Edge and get a feel for it. If you like it and decide to move into a custom or semi-custom gun you will get a pretty good chunk of money back out of your Edge. Brazos offers a tuned Edge. Shooters connection is a good vendor and probably has what you need in stock. Good luck! :cheers:

Start with a new or lightly used STI Edge and get a feel for it. If you like it and decide to move into a custom or semi-custom gun you will get a pretty good chunk of money back out of your Edge. Brazos offers a tuned Edge. Shooters connection is a good vendor and probably has what you need in stock. Good luck! :cheers:

+1 This. As an alternative, see if one of your range bud's has one that you can use for a match or two. Ask him/her how/why they chose what they did and you'll see if you like that particular setup.

The absolute requirements for me in the "ultimate" gun:

• goes bang every time (assuming good ammo)
  • is reasonably accurate (assuming I do my part)

I also like:

• FO front / dog earred adjustable rear sights
  • ~43-44oz (e.g.5" SV w/ steel grip and LDC)
  • disabled grip safety, no speed bump
  • wide ambis
  • 1.5# trigger

If you're in the beginning stages of defining a build, check out this thread in the Freedom Gunworks vendor forum.

I would recommend picking up a used one that you think meets most of your wants/requirements. After trying different things or seeing them, you'll get a good idea of exactly what you want. That is when I would go custom and build your own.

For me? I think a 5" SVI sight tracker lightened would be nice. If only I had the money!!!

+1 on one that goes bang every time. I have been running the XDm 4.5 in .40 for awhile and it works well. I recently picked up a XDM 5.25 and am running that upper as my limited gun now. I like the extra sight radius, velocity and weight. It all depends on what works for you. I have purchased and built 2 limited guns for what a custom S I would cost me.

Funny how this goes.

I made the cut to GM in 1997 (top 20 even) with a Para P-14 45 THEN I HAD to reward myself with the latest uber

cool 2011. Briley got the nod and built me a 5" linkless unit with all the bells and whistles. I shot the heck out of that

pistol for 4 months and could shoot it rather well, then SOLD IT a few weeks before the Area 1 match. I borrowed a friends G24

and some mags and shot the match using a IWB Milt Sparks Ex holster. I won a couple stages and came in 4th

Limited. I have been a Glock guy ever since…that is until the 2011 bug bit again, and that time I owned the pistol for 6 weeks

and sold it! It was the COOLEST 2011 I have ever held!!! A Dettelhouser (sp?) Canyon Creek 6" lightweight slide gun. Man that gun

was IT!!!! Now it's gone and I am back to Glocks.

Bottom line…don't be in a BIG hurry to buy a better score.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I had a similar experience as Pat. Started with a Glock 22, moved to a 35. Shot it till I made M then bought an awesome SV 2011 built by EGW. The gun was great but I'm still an M in limited. I had went to Production after a few years, played around with a couple platforms but I keep coming back to Glock anytime I shoot minor. I still prefer a 2011 for shooting major ( I'm weird). This year I'm going to try Limited again. I'm going to try a 6" with a Tribrid barrel. Shot it last weekend on Open since its not legal yet. I really really like it. But I'm way too fast with it. Need to slow down a bit and actually hit what I'm aiming at.

As others have said, you certainly don't need a 2011 to progress to the next level. But they are great guns, and many folks (myself included) prefer them to any other platform. So if you want to move forward with a new Limited gun, here are my thoughts:

1) Check out a bunch of 2011s here on the forums, and at the next few matches to get an idea of what you like. (You've probably already done this ; ) I've found that most shooters are proud to show off their pistols to those who are interested in checking them out. You may even get to test fire a couple, which is a great way to get an idea of not only what feels good in your hand, but what tracks/cycles the way you like.

2) Get in touch with a good gunsmith. You can go full-custom, where the gun will be built from scratch with the parts and look that you want... or semi-custom, where there are some standard build options that you get to choose from. You may save a little money going the semi-custom route, but the extra personal attention of a full-custom build will result in a truly amazing finished product.

There are many great custom gunsmiths - most of whom have a presence here on the forums. It's no secret that I personally prefer Bobby at Freedom Gunworks; the quality of his work is simply amazing, and his prices and lead times are VERY reasonable.

3) Discuss your wants/needs with your gunsmith of choice to finalize your options for the build. Many gunsmiths have prefered "go-to" setups, which are never a bad way to go - they have become go-to setups because they have proven to work really well!

If you're coming from an XD now, you are used to a fairly light gun with a longish/lightened slide. You would probably feel right at home in a ultralight 6" 2011... short dust cover frame, tri-topped and lightened slide, maybe even a spiral-fluted barrel. (This happens to the Bobby's specialty, so FGW would be a good choice for this set-up) 6" guns shoot great - very soft, nice long sight radius to help with accuracy and shot calling... A good platform to take you from B to Master.

There are a lot of options in terms of the small parts, but your gunsmith can walk you through some proven combinations of parts that work well together and are within your budget.

I started two years ago with a Glock 35, then went to a Glock 24. I was improving, but slowly. I then traded for a tri-topped Eagle, and progress got better, and I started having more fun and shooting more. Then my slide cracked and while I was getting the money together fot have it rebuilt, a friend loaned me a "nice" 6 inch STI with a THR Tehcnoloigies slide. That gun is nice. I really started having fun and got a little better. I eventually bought the 6inch pistol from him, and teh 5" will go out to Gary Natale on the 21st of November. So right now, The 6" gun I have is my unltimate Limited gun, but I have a sneaking suspicios that it is my "ultimate" becaue I am shooting it more, soing better and thus having more fun. what do ya'll think?

This is a great thread. One thing I would contribute to this is, we also need to remember the mental components also.

Case in point-my cousin is big into USPSA/Steel Challenge like the rest of us. He went out and spent 4 grand on a full-on custom Caspian, and he ended up changing everything all around because he couldn't make it work for him. During all this time, his wife, who shoots Glocks told him to give her L-10 rig a try, and he never would-STUBBORN. He always though of the combat tupperware as glorified boat anchors, and doorstops. She worked him and worked him to give it a go, and he finally did. Now he shoots lights out all day long with a BONE STOCK GLOCK 35!! Turns out, the Glock fit his natural anatomical point of aim WORLDS BETTER than the Caspian did. Moral of the story, as everyone here has said-don't be afraid to try different things. Even if its a major thing like an operational platform. In this case, 1911 based, versus Glock.

He had it in his mind that Glocks weren't real guns because they were plastic, and cheap, and all the other garbage that we've all heard before too. Well, turns out that Glocks are better for him than anything else. Don't let EGO get in the way of what you can accomplish "In The Arena" of competition. Having what works in your hand, and fits you will always work better in the long run, which will bring into play another BIG mental component for what we do-CONFIDENCE. Confidence in your equipment, and in yourself will lower scores, because that opens many pathways of thought about what you CAN achieve!

Shoot well everybody!!

Smitty

As of late, I'm shooting my Glock better than my STI. I switched to STI a year ago, 'cause I like nice flashy stuff, sue me. I am a car guy so the 2011 platform is really cool to me. LOL.

Anyway, I sent the gun off the hard chrome and have really been enjoying shooting the Glock again. I dunno if I should be delighted or upset. Haha. I was seriously dreading having to go back my Glock, but sending my STI out for hard chrome has been a blessing in disguise. It also forced me to explore production, something I probably wouldn't have done, as I mainly shoot Limited.

Now I am thinking about getting a G24 or 35 to match my 34. Hmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Ask your fellow shooters if you can foundle theres first, when I got my first ltd gun I wanted a Bedell but didnt want to wait so I got an edge,good gun but should have waited the Bedell's are very nice,the next one Is a STI Aperio,I got it because I liked the looks and will have Freedom Gunworks do a trigger job ,stipple work and hard chrome every time I shoot it I like it more! Will be even better when i get it back !