Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy Glock Trigger Mods

Steve Koski

I want to lighten up the trigger pull and perhaps put in a lighter recoil spring (Glock 17) and see if I can get less muzzle lift. I hear of a couple options:

1) Minus connector, Extra power trigger spring

2) Minus connector, Reduced power striker spring (say from 5.5 to 5.0 lbs)

Whick do you recommend? Which is compatible with a reduced power (say 13 lb) recoil spring?

Thanks,

Koski

I want to lighten up the trigger pull and perhaps put in a lighter recoil spring (Glock 17) and see if I can get less muzzle lift. I hear of a couple options:

Whick do you recommend? Which is compatible with a reduced power (say 13 lb) recoil spring?

Thanks,

Koski

Those are part of any equation. As are bullet weight and power factor you are running. A heavier recoil rod also helps.

I have a g17 and here are my mods. 15 lb recoil spring, reduced power safety spring, Jaeger lightened striker with a 4 lb firing pin spring, stock trigger spring, stock 5 lb. connector. This gives me a pretty good 3 lb trigger. I tried the minus connector this would get me down to 2.5 but I didn't like the feel. Tried the extra power trigger spring, but with the lightened striker spring reset didn't always work. I had no trouble setting off primers with the stock firing pin but for extra insurance went with the Jaeger. If in doubt you can just use federals. I have tried just about every combination available, even tried the ny+1 and the minus connector but trigger pull increased to 6 lbs but was nice. Of course everything is polished in accordance with the glock 25 cent trigger job. I tried the 13 pound recoil spring but sometimes would not go into battery. All of the springs work in conjunction with each other. You change one and it effects others, however most of the parts are cheap and that is what is fun, trying to find the right combination that fits your shooting style.

I want to lighten up the trigger pull and perhaps put in a lighter recoil spring (Glock 17) and see if I can get less muzzle lift.

How's about increasing grip strength ? More effective in reducing muzzle lift than "stuffs" in IMHO .

I prefer option 1 w/ oem trigger spring. Reliability is my priority. And it does not overpower my 13# ISMI rec spring. Trigger pull is down 2+#.

But why mess w/ these if muzzle flip is your concern? Lighter rec spring is just a minor factor in recoil management imho. And If its a 9mm, the more its not much a concern.

ETA: sorry I missed the lighter trigger pull concern. Still its option 1 for me.

Edited by BoyGlock

I found 3.5lb connector lightened and smoothed (ZEV) trigger action considerable, but made striker release difficult to determine.

I also replaced trigger, striker, and safety plunger springs with good (reduced trigger effort) results.

Contrary to popular opinion, I found the ".25 cent trigger job"/polishing job to be worthless.

Thanks,

Koski

Every Glock is so different that it's impossible to say exactly what result you can expect, but here goes.

1) Minus connector will take some weight off the trigger (about 2 lbs typically), but it will make it spongy with a rolling break. The extra power trigger spring will make the pretravel lighter and take about .5 lbs off the total trigger pull.

2. The reduced power striker spring will dramatically change the feel of the trigger, and will make it about 1.5 lbs lighter in my experience.

What I recommend is the Dot connector with an extra power striker spring and the stock striker spring. The dot will take about 1 lb off but not have the rolling spongy break of the minus connector.

With a 13 lb spring you can still use the stock striker spring, but if you go lower than that you probably ought to go with a reduced power striker spring otherwise it could be dangerous.

If you are going to get a new connector and you are willing/able to go away from stock go with a Zev or Ghost Rocket. Go with the extra power trigger spring but if you stay with the stock striker stick with stock weight striker spring (buy the spring kit from Zev and replace all of them). If you are changing recoil spring weight the 13# should be fine. Think about a SS guide rod if it is legal for your competition. Also think about a titanium safety plunger and lighter spring there.

$.25 trigger job and pay attention to any surface that touches another. In my case it did not reduce any pull weight but it smoothed the pull out a lot. Be sure you pay attention to the:

trigger safety plunger (top and sides)

trigger bar where it touches the safety plunger

trigger bar inner surface where it mates with the connector

trigger bar to striker surfaces

connector (yes even if you buy a Zev or Ghost give it a quick swipe with the Dremel)

On the $.25 trigger job on both of my stock Glock trigger parts there were lots of machining marks and roughness. Getting rid of those can make things a lot crisper and more predictable.

My experience has been a little different than Beltjones and as he said they vary slightly.

1. Minus connector approximately 16oz. reduction. Trigger spring 6# approximately 4oz. reduction.

2. The 4# firing pin spring approximately 16oz. reduction.

Edited by JBP55

I stop using reduced striker spring as this make the gun unreliable unless I use federal primers. The lightest trigger pull I have w/ oem striker spring was 2#5oz initially then upped to 2#7oz (maybe the trigger spring had set) and 100% reliable on all primers i use, win cci russo(russia) fed. My set up is glockmeister trigger spring and Lw connector, everything else is oem and polished.

If you think you need anything more than a quick connector swap and a polish, I think you should seriously reevaluate your priorities.

Yep! A glock trigger will NeVeR feel like a 1911 trigger, no matter what parts you change, polish, or swap. Do the .25 cent trigger job and maybe a little more, but keep it 100% reliable, no matter what primers you use. Get used to the glock trigger and focus more on shooting on the move, accuracy, and speed. A Master class shooter with a stock Glock will always win against a C class shooter with a $5000 open gun every day all day.

Edited by Red Ryder

i

All of the above plus tuning your load to work well with the lighter recoil spring. Reduced power striker springs sometimes require the use of federal primers. The extra power trigger spring is needed to keep the reset strong.

Pickup a copy of the Glock in Competition by Robin Taylor, all of this and so much more is covered. Depending on the how you will use your Glock you might find a couple other options to be worthwhile.

It's very difficult to get 2# trigger without changing the fulcrum location on the Trigger bar.

And experienced shooter like yourself shouldn't have any trouble with handling these mods.

Sent by someone using something.

A Master class shooter with a stock Glock will always win against a C class shooter with a $5000 open gun every day all day.

But a C class Glock shooter will always be smoked by another C class shooter with a $5000 open gun. This supports the fact that gun modifications can help the shooter perform better.

A Master class shooter with a stock Glock will always win against a C class shooter with a $5000 open gun every day all day.

But a C class Glock shooter will always be smoked by another C class shooter with a $5000 open gun. This supports the fact that gun modifications can help the shooter perform better.

The point is that the gun plays such a small part. Priorities should be shooting on the move, speed , and accuracy

• 1 month later...

I am using a lightened striker, 4lb striker spring, 2 lb safety spring(i think), minus connector, and an extra power trigger spring. Seems to good to be true. It has not failed to reset in 400 rounds at the range. Very short, very light. Any thoughts on issues I may run into?

It seriously rivals the super light 1911 triggers I have used/ owned.

Edit to add that it has the Glocktriggers Challenger trigger bar, also the FP safety spring that came with that trigger bar, so not sure of the weight.

Edited by lrf

Keep it stock with a $0.25 trigger job. Easy, cheap and dead nuts reliable. Glocks are basically as perfect as you can get for an out of the box, mass produced factory pistol. If you want to tinker to make a better gun, pick up a 1911.

C class is all? ;) Here are the two club matches I've shot this month. Granted my G34 isn't "stock", I did change the sights, replace the guide rod and recoil spring, and made the trigger heavier by swapping out the minus with a dot connector from a G17...

http://combinedresults.info/index.php/match/6917

http://combinedresults.info/index.php/match/6849

Point is, I would highly advise people to learn to rock hard with the stock trigger in your gun of choice before modding it out. You can't buy skill.

C class is all? ;) Here are the two club matches I've shot this month. Granted my G34 isn't "stock", I did change the sights, replace the guide rod and recoil spring, and made the trigger heavier by swapping out the minus with a dot connector from a G17...

http://combinedresul....php/match/6917

http://combinedresul....php/match/6849

Point is, I would highly advise people to learn to rock hard with the stock trigger in your gun of choice before modding it out. You can't buy skill.

I agree.