Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't morematches allow buckshot?

Doesn't seem to make sense. Hitting a steel plate at 7 yds with buckshot wouldn't seem any different than hitting it with a .40 or .45. Why don't more MD's allow the use of buckshot? I think it would add a new dynamic to selecting ammo for the stage, throughout the stage, etc...

Any safety concerns or other issues I'm missing?

Edited by jdknotts1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of a good reason either. Shot plenty of buck at my own steel with no issues. MGM told me buck is fine and no worse than handgun rounds on steel. The only issue I could see is shooting buck up in the area accidently when shooting at a airborn clay. It would carry further than bird.

Pat

something about it traveling further than birdshot (if fired at a flying clay), maybe?

It is a bit harder on close steel than both handgun and birdshot.

I have not seen that have you?

Not sure if it hits harder. I would think that since a 00 buck is approx the same size as a 9mm, traveling approx the same fps, they would hit around the same no?

something about it traveling further than birdshot (if fired at a flying clay), maybe?

Not sure if it hits harder. I would think that since a 00 buck is approx the same size as a 9mm, traveling approx the same fps, they would hit around the same no?

Just a thought: Though each pellet is the same as one 9mm - there are many of them hitting at the time - mass and velocity - though I admit that it probably is no different at close range than the same weight of lead in birdshot form..... Though the same logic would dictate that the same weight in a slug would have the same effect, but we know that it does not...

Mark K

Just a thought: Though each pellet is the same as one 9mm - there are many of them hitting at the time - mass and velocity - though I admit that it probably is no different at close range than the same weight of lead in birdshot form..... Though the same logic would dictate that the same weight in a slug would have the same effect, but we know that it does not...

Mark K

Shoot a plate close up with a flight control shell...almost like hitting it with a slug.

We often have DESIGNATED buckshot targets, and even whole buckshot stages. However, we carefully design our stages to avoid the risk of a shooter engaging a flying/flipping clay with buckshot (or slug for that matter) which would be bad... the heavier projectiles travel further and retain more residual kinetic energy. Buckshot =/= birdshot.

Just thinking out loud here, not gonna do the math involved in this, but it seems that buckshot may be in a "sweet spot" with regards to projectile weight and velocity to present a serious ricochet threat on steel targets. That is to say, slow and light enough to bounce off steel, but still heavy enough to do real damage once it bounces. I've been struck by birdshot off of steel more times than I can count. I'd hate to be hit by a 00 pellet in the same manner. Handgun bullets have enough mass to deform and "flatten into" steel targets, an individual buckshot pellet might not, and can ruin your day, even on the first bounce.

DanO

Buckshot stages are awesome. Best 2 on paper and small steel at distance are really fun targets. It should be used more.

Especially if you use the A4 targets and just glue a new one on to the frame rather then pasting, more challenging target and faster reset.

Mark K

Shoot a plate close up with a flight control shell...almost like hitting it with a slug.

We use flight control as a buck shot load at work and yes it works well but I have not seen damage to steel from it like you would see with a slug. Even shoot the stuff on my MGM Whirly gig and spinner.

00 buck pellets are considerably lighter in weight than 9mm bullets. Its more like hitting the target with 9 32 auto pistol bullets at once. I think this rule is based more on percieved beliefs than actual testing.

Pat

I've shot my MGM spinner with everything from cheap 7.5s, AAs, #6 Flitecontrol turkey loads, 8&9 pellet Flitecontrol buck, #4 buck, Ranger Low recoil buck, etc. The Flitecontrol #6s spin it the best, but none of the above loads has caused a safety issue or put undue wear on the target. I have seen slugs hit small knockdown plates. A federal trueball full power slug will put quite a dent in them, a 7/8 oz low recoil slug doesn't but it does leave a mark. In the end F=ma will always hold true so the same amount of lead at the same speed should do the same thing.

I think, and allow at my club matches, any kind of load thats not a slug or steel shot on steel targets. If you want to spend $1 a target shooting buck go for it.

PS the Flitecontrol #6s will drop a knockdown plate at 35 yards, but you better run it by the RO before you do it!

Cost!

If you said, "everyone can use buckshot" soon enough, everyone would have to shoot buckshot at every steel target to remain competitive.

If all it takes is one pellet out of an open choke to take down a steel plate, then there's no reason not to fire nothing BUT buckshot at things that aren't clays.

Edited by DyNo!

I did like at FNH when they said - use what you want to knock down "this" target.

I'm all in favor of courses where there's optional ways to approach it but allowing buckshot on every target would get expensive real quick.

It might be fun on ONE stage at an all shotgun match but in normal 3-Gun, 100 rounds of shotgun on steel being $100 would turn a lot of people off. I wouldn't shoot that match.

I did like at FNH when they said - use what you want to knock down "this" target.

I'm all in favor of courses where there's optional ways to approach it but allowing buckshot on every target would get expensive real quick.

It might be fun on ONE stage at an all shotgun match but in normal 3-Gun, 100 rounds of shotgun on steel being $100 would turn a lot of people off. I wouldn't shoot that match.

I'm talking about the OPTION to use it. Never would I want to use it for every target other than clays, just to have the option. In a combat environment, you would legitimately have the option. I know this is competition but isn't it supposed to mimick combat in a way?

Superstition had an all buckshot stage two years ago. Think it was 16 rounds. Mostly paper but some poppers.

They had one this year as well, mostly steel. JJ set one up for the He-Man match too with all steel. The challenge is knowing your pattern with various loads and chokes vs. different types of targets. I always walk away from those stages thinking I need to work on this at the practice range; and then I forget to until the next time...

Edited by Blockhead

Buck shot also dosent have the spread that bird shot does either so while it may only take one pellet your still having to shoot it at the same level of "precision" as bird shot. The advantage of allowing it is it gives the shooter the option to do so if they feel its an advantage to them. It could allow them to shoot the steel farther out vs having to close in a little with bird shot.

• 2 weeks later...