Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't morematches allow buckshot?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I love all buckshot Paper stages until its time to tape targets.

Wouldn't buckshot wear out steal faster than pistons being as there are 8-9 more projectiles hitting it every shot?

I think some matches disallow it because if an AD occurs up in the air the buck has more danger potential the buck. I also believe some MD's don't want to have to design a stage around bird and buck. You can knock down targets from quite far with some flight control buck.

It is considered a "lumpy slug" and a danger if shot too close on steel.

Kurt - Have you done any testing of Flite Control ammo on steel that might support this position? We currently don't prohibit it at Rio Salado, but if there is a consensus that it does present a special hazard, we may have to do our own testing or design stages with targets further out.

Doesn't seem to make sense. Hitting a steel plate at 7 yds with buckshot wouldn't seem any different than hitting it with a .40 or .45. Why don't more MD's allow the use of buckshot? I think it would add a new dynamic to selecting ammo for the stage, throughout the stage, etc...

Any safety concerns or other issues I'm missing?

i personally dont like buckshots as there is a too high luck factor involved. U just dont know where they end up.

It is considered a "lumpy slug" and a danger if shot too close on steel.

Kurt - Have you done any testing of Flite Control ammo on steel that might support this position? We currently don't prohibit it at Rio Salado, but if there is a consensus that it does present a special hazard, we may have to do our own testing or design stages with targets further out.

I'm not a physicist but I would think that the FliteControl wad with 8 pellets would be a less efficient version of this:

I would like to hear some opinions from the more seasoned MDs/Shooters on this as I have no real data as it pertains to FC Buckshot other than my own shooting and that has been limited to 200ish rounds, with a much lower number of them at steel targets.

Back to the original topic, I did put some buckshot in the stages for next months club match, 2 rounds required. It's not something do often maybe 4-6 times a year for buck and 6-8 for slugs. I find its a good balance for a club match, work the slugs in buck in but only sparingly.

Edited by ClutchUSMC

3matches I shot last year required some buckshot. None or them were tests of shooting, but more for cool factor, and knowing how your gun patterned with your load. The distances were pretty close, and ther were zero no shoots, so if you had flight control, knowing your pattern was not much of an issue.

I like shooting buck, and that FCStuff is awesome, but once the cool factor wears off, it seems to me the same shooting skill could be determined with birdshot. At least in the matches I shot last year, I know stage design and target presentation could change this.

• 1 year later...

I see that this topic is just over a yer old, but it might be useful to readers to have the context, so I'll ask this question here. Any ideas for good buckshot targets, and stages? Goals for the stage would be, most importantly use buckshot, many have it in their home defense shotgun but I personally have never had to use it in a match? Second, while I would like a stage where it can be used and even an advantage I would also not like forcing shooters who don't use it to totally fail, so an option to use bird or slugs would be ideal. I know it can get really expensive, not only for the buckshot but for the targets as well, so some targets-scenarios that aren't too exceptionally expensive as well would be great.

So here is your chance to design a stage or two where buckshot is an advantage. This would probably be used as part of a long stage with a number of strings of fire, so a single (or two) string with buckshot on a 5-10 shot string would be fine, rather than a whole long stage with 15 plus rounds would be great. This is for the Miffliln Co 3-gun match Mar 29th, so if your stage(s) is selected you will get a free entry!

I think it should be allowed and used at the competitors discretion. It does not hurt the steel any more than handgun rounds from what I have seen on my own steel. This would allow new shooters without choke tubes to use 00 buck on targets like the spinner. I think this rule is grounded in fear vs fact. Just my opinion.
Pat