Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 FNH USA 3G

That version of the FNH rules provided by Springy isn't the one on the FNH match website.

The website appears to be in need of update. The rules that Springy refer to were sent th the RO's familiarization.

I am the person who updates the website. No one has sent me new or revised rules. I'll be happy to put up new rules once I get them from either the Match Director or Range Master. At that time, I will also send an email message about updated rules to the registered shooters in the match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

FNH USA 3 Gun Statistician

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the Rules pdf linked here and see that the Tactical Optics magazine must fit in a box 3" W x 7.5" L x 1" Height. I have been using both Thermold and Lancer 30 round magazines for years. Both mags hold 30 rounds however, both mags have a stiffening rib located about where the rifles mag well would begin that exceeds the 1". The Lancer is about .070" and Thermold about .050" too high. No issue with width or height. Yes, the 2012 rules don't have this language.

Edited by Old3GNR

They discussed, but eventually did away with, a mag limit in tactical last year.

As of now, there is an official FNH 3-Gun Rulebook, and several of the local clubs have been using that as the basis for their 3-Gun rules this year---it is what Springy linked above. They settled on a 7.5" magazine length in tactical (basically enough room for an unmodified 30-round PMag), but coupled magazines are allowed.

Now, I suppose until Larry and Linda put it up on the match website, it isn't official, but I am going to operate on the assumption I only get to use 30s...and I will bring my 48s just in case the rules change at the last minute. ;)

Mag restriction for tac anc optics in play this year. We are doing some final adjustments to the rules.....will be posted on the the website next week.

Limited guns that fit USPSA rules will be ok for our match....remember STI is a factory!

Remember skinny sammies at 45 degrees and possibly upside down?????

Larry

They discussed, but eventually did away with, a mag limit in tactical last year.

As of now, there is an official FNH 3-Gun Rulebook, and several of the local clubs have been using that as the basis for their 3-Gun rules this year---it is what Springy linked above. They settled on a 7.5" magazine length in tactical (basically enough room for an unmodified 30-round PMag), but coupled magazines are allowed.

Now, I suppose until Larry and Linda put it up on the match website, it isn't official, but I am going to operate on the assumption I only get to use 30s...and I will bring my 48s just in case the rules change at the last minute. ;)

Mag restriction for tac anc optics in play this year. We are doing some final adjustments to the rules.....will be posted on the the website next week.

Limited guns that fit USPSA rules will be ok for our match....remember STI is a factory!

Remember skinny sammies at 45 degrees and possibly upside down?????

Larry

Alright, I am NOT interested in getting on any match directors "bad" list. It's hard enough for a super senior to shoot these matches when he's even getting whipped by his wife............

BUT, what happens if someone wants to shoot a rifle other than an AR-223 in Limited or Tac-ops? I've shot my m1a in many limited matches, with a 30 round magazine - same length as a Surefire 60.

There are also a few of us that really want a taller magazine to bi-pod from. For me, a 40 rounder or the Surefire 60 is the perfect height. For this rule we can double the mags and screw a piece of balsa on the bottom of the doubler and the mag length will still be ok?

Alright, I am NOT interested in getting on any match directors "bad" list. It's hard enough for a super senior to shoot these matches when he's even getting whipped by his wife............

BUT, what happens if someone wants to shoot a rifle other than an AR-223 in Limited or Tac-ops? I've shot my m1a in many limited matches, with a 30 round magazine - same length as a Surefire 60.

There are also a few of us that really want a taller magazine to bi-pod from. For me, a 40 rounder or the Surefire 60 is the perfect height. For this rule we can double the mags and screw a piece of balsa on the bottom of the doubler and the mag length will still be ok?

It would seem that 2 30 round mags, cinched together and offset to give you the height you want is a possible solution to this.

I am long armed. I ran a 40 round mag for all my prone shooting until the 60 round Surefire came out. It's the perfect height for my prone shooting mag length.

If you limit the magazine length not just the number of rounds it can hold you are putting taller and or fatter shooters at a disadvantage on prone shooting stages IMHO.

I guess my question is what problem are they trying to solve by limiting mag length? I doubt this change is competitor driven so who is pushing it? With Surefire, Magpul, Nordic, Lancer and others all offering longer mags or mag extensions I doubt it's sponsor driven. I think most would just like to know why the change, what are they trying to accomplish?

I am shooting Heavy Tac Optics so I don't have many options with a 20 rd limit. But I do have extended length (weld-ups) mags that

are longer but still only hold 20. I wonder how those will be addressed? I only use them to monopod off when prone.

Craig

I'm thinking of shooting my Sig 551.

I just did a quick check and a standard 30rd mag is a little over 1" wide (the ribs that set insertion depth into the receiver and the nubs for coupling the mags). It looks like it meets the 7.5"x3", but I was just using a tape measure, so I could be a little off there.

If you're going to implement a magazine size restriction, could we get some kind of blanket waiver for factory 30rd mags that don't fit in the box? (ie, a standard mag with a standard floorplate, not some humongous thing)

I don't know how you'd word such a rule, but it would be nice for those of us who don't always shoot AR's.

Larry, I understand your reasoning for limiting magazines in Tac. But, if you're going to do it, why not just say "maximum capacity of 31"? I know last year you considered 30 max capacity, but of course many if not most P-Mags will hold 31. This would seem to be much easier to implement than a gauge of certain size.

Larry, I understand your reasoning for limiting magazines in Tac. But, if you're going to do it, why not just say "maximum capacity of 31"? I know last year you considered 30 max capacity, but of course many if not most P-Mags will hold 31. This would seem to be much easier to implement than a gauge of certain size.

Sounds like a reason for a mag capacity limit thread.

Hey Larry,

Has the round count been posted yet or am I looking in the wrong place ?

As my wife and I are coming from Oregon I have to arrange getting ammo out there ahead of time.

Thanks,

Jerry

no idea what and how much they have and their prices, but peacemaker is selling ammo, might be easier than schlepping it there.

also, if someone made it home last year with an extra sling from last year's match, kindly drop it off at the check in office at this year's match, thanks.

Round count? Figure on 125 rifle, 125 pistol, 100 shot.

I'll let you in on a little secret. This is the round count of every match other than Blue Ridge, Rocky Mountain, and Iron Man. So, it's 112 rile and 130 pistol? Well surely you'll bring enough extra. :).

Stages will be out this week. Round count depends totally on which gun you want to shoot at what targets. I get this every year from people and I tell them the same thing each year.....not sure how else I can help you out.

After much debate and consulting with my AMD we have decided to not restrict the magazine length in Tac Ops and Tac Lim however there is a round limited and in the rules it states no more that 30 rounds in the magazines after the start signal.

Oh and there will be a 5 stage USPSA match to participate in during a half day off, 5 stand and we will have the bolt guns out to play to 500 yards.

Larry