Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M & P extra power striker spring

TomMcC

I have the striker spring from Apex tactical that came in my competition spring kit and haven't had any issues... But so far I have only fired Remington primers through it.

Is this a common issue?

I use a lot of WWB and have not had issues since I installed the above kit. I had a few soft primer hits with the factory kit.

CCI primers are harder then winchester

Really?!?

I guess I've been lucky with them so far. The past 2k rounds I loaded with CCI's have run flawlessly, winchesters on the other hand give me a light strike about 1 out of every 10 rounds.

I would rank the hardness of CCI small pistol primers between Winchester small pistol and Winchester small rifle.

I feel Winchester and CCI are pretty close but the Winchester is definitely softer.

If you are getting light hits with the Winchesters you might want to make sure they are fully seated.

Does the heavier striker spring make a difference pull weight that can be measured?

Not as much as it would in a Glock.

It would also have less of a difference if you are using an Apex sear.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread, please...

So if I understand this right, a 6# Glock striker spring is a reliable replacement for an aged M&P45 striker spring? That would be very helpful, since it's apparenlty not a part I can get anywehre but S&W factory...

Does anyone have some 'long term' testing/experience with this setup (6# glock striker in MP45) that they can relate? Do I need to plan on swapping out the spring more often, for example?

Well, I broke down and ordered the whole assembly as you suggested. I hope someone starts making the right spring soon...

OK thanks. I got my assembly from them on Saturday. Kind of an expensive fix, but if it works, it's worth it.

• 1 year later...

I'm starting to get a few light strikes on S&B primers. Will get one every 3-4 hundred or so. I also have the Apex CAEK with the reduced power striker spring. Have around 6-7k rounds with the kit installed. Maybe time to replace all the springs, or just go back to the stock striker spring?

is there a ballpark round count for when to change out all springs?

I got to around 14-15k rounds on my original striker before it started to go t-up on me. I tried heavier springs and it was mostly reliable, but a new striker with the stock spring cured everything. That's with CCI primers. Federal primers would probably be okay with a 4.5lb or 4lb spring.

I'd rather use a different TRS and have a heavier striker spring for reliability.

• 9 months later...

The Glock spring will fit and it works fine if that's what's causing your problem.  Mine was being caused by something else, at the time, so I still had issues till I got the timing issue fixed (striker block not completely out of the way when the sear released the striker).

I did a pencil test comparison of the S&W spring vs. the Glock spring and the Glock spring did seem a bit stouter.

How many of you have tested the ammo you're using for plunk AND spin before condemning the primers or striker spring as the issue?

M&Ps have rather short chambers. Many bullet profiles loaded to typical lengths like 1.125" will actually be in the rifling, and not clear of it. Part of your striker force will be 'stolen' driving the bullet into the rifling until the case rim hits the bottom of the chamber, where it was supposed to be in the first place.

Plunk = drop round into barrel after field stripping. It needs to fall in all the way, freely.

spin = It should sling freely with your fingertips, showing that the bullet isn't engaging the rifling.

Once I reamed the APEX barrel in my gun to accept the fattest profile bullets all the way out to 1.150"... even with a reduced power striker spring it will set off anything I load that is below flush. Even CCI Magnum primers. The gun is no longer picky at all.

With a beautifully short 2.75lb trigger pull, too:

Edited by MemphisMechanic