Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doubles?

mhop

It never bothers me in the least to pull a target and get a competitor out of my hair (if I had hair).

Right -- because it isn't supposed to be personal. I have nothing invested in the shooters score or performance. I do have something invested in my performance as an RO -- and I want to do that as well as I can...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see a guy shoot a perfect double at a match (I saw the edges of the bullet hole move when he shot the second time). But even though I told the RO it was still called a miss. It was definatly one of those prefect doubles that was called a miss.

On a different note I worked a major match and the stage I worked had clamshell targets and several people wanted that second shot that was missing a grease ring from passing through the no-shoot. They didn't get it.

Since we're talking about doubles here, any opinions on the picture on the other thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160292

Hey guys, that was my target and I don't mean to tell you where to post, but I'd like to have a single place where people give their opinions on that particular target.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Flexmoney
Agreed. Image removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the Front Sight archives... a "double every 667 years" ... p8 January 1995 Front Sight

Don't know about this fellow's math, but wholeheartedly agree with his conclusion.

His assumptions are faulty (random distribution within a circle the width of the entire target, centered on the A-zone). I scored 1500-ish targets at the LPR nationals this week, and decent shooters were pretty consistently hitting a much smaller area. At the stage next to us, folks were routinely putting 6 rapid fire shots in a space not much bigger than 2 playing cards side-by-side.

However, I do think one would expect to see at least as many easily discernable near-doubles (small figure-8's) as real non-discernible doubles. I saw 2 or 3 very small figure-8's (one was more like an oval), so it seems plausible to me that a real non-discernible double *could* have occurred.

Thanks for all the kind words. I was just alerted to this tread while shooting the nationals. I don't want to win unless I earn it. Just because something is correct in the rules doesn't make it right. I just try do what is right.

I've actually shot a handful of perfect or nearly perfect doubles. Can't think of one in USPSA though. All in GSSF and almost all on the first target of Glock M or Five to Glock. But that's putting 6 rounds into a four inch circle at 5 yards. The odds go up, a lot.

I do remember watching a Super Squad shooter claiming a double on a very close target, angled on the ground. He was very convincing. Until you watch the footage on Shooting USA and see the second round hit several inches away from the target.

Just shot both Nationals. The RO's were all very ready to pull out overlays on doubles and edge hits on request and spontaneously.

I was given (with out my asking) very close scrutiny of a single hole on a swinger (RO: "Looks a little oval shaped there..."); after much judicious application of TWO overlays, I was given a two alpha's on the one hole. Three or four targets later I was given apha-mike and charlie-mike on another swinger and a static (RO, commenting on calling the hits, againw w/o my asking: "Sorry, those holes look perfectly round to me").

Seemed more than fair, and I thanked the RO for his care in scoring.

Just shot both Nationals. The RO's were all very ready to pull out overlays on doubles and edge hits on request and spontaneously.

I was given (with out my asking) very close scrutiny of a single hole on a swinger (RO: "Looks a little oval shaped there..."); after much judicious application of TWO overlays, I was given a two alpha's on the one hole. Three or four targets later I was given apha-mike and charlie-mike on another swinger and a static (RO, commenting on calling the hits, againw w/o my asking: "Sorry, those holes look perfectly round to me").

Seemed more than fair, and I thanked the RO for his care in scoring.

That's how it's supposed to work.....

I've seen a whole lot of "perfect" doubles granted and only one I know for sure was there. I was shooting Area 4 one year with Jerry Miculek. The stage was one of those overlapping no-shoot-shoot-no-shoot A-zone only things. Jerry runs through the stage and there's only one hole in one of the A-zones. Jerry then asked the RO to overlay it, and the RO couldn't see it. Jerry finally decided to pull the target since there wasn't anywhere else that fat .45 bullet could have gone barring abduction by space aliens. Troy (I think it was Troy) carefully pushed back the cardboard and then you could see the two barely separated grease rings. Jerry said as far as he knew it was the only one that good he'd ever shot too.

My experience as well. I put one into the C zone after it clearly had made its way through a barrel. The RO knew I had taken another shot at it so spent quite some time looking at the jagged hole in the cardboard looking for a second clean hit. Alpha Mike in the end but very nicely done.

Close targets and Tula ball ammo in my G34 will clover leaf when I do my part. I could possible get a double at some point if I shot that combo more but its my RMR'd carry gun so I don't shoot it in open.

The bunch I shoot IDPA with have a running joke of calling Doubles when we miss. Everyone knows we are joking and laugh at it. We don't over do it to make it annoying but get 1 or 2 jokes in a match. Me and another guy from the group had a great USPSA squad and I totally flubbed and missed an easy shot. He said looks like a "perfect double" and the RO went to check! We had to tell him it was a running joke among us.