Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No shoot on a drop turner target.

yuthh

Hi All

Is it legal to put a no shoot target on a drop turner ( Disappearing target)?.How you score if someone hit it. Considering as a regular no shoot ? Thanks.

Y

Edited by yuthh

Is it legal to put a no shoot target on a drop turner ( Disappearing target)?

Is the no shoot the only thing on the drop turner?

How are you planning on using it? What purpose does it serve?

If someone hits it and the bullet passes through onto a scoring target, how are you going to determine which hit that was?

Is it legal to put a no shoot target on a drop turner ( Disappearing target)?

Is the no shoot the only thing on the drop turner?

How are you planning on using it? What purpose does it serve?

If someone hits it and the bullet passes through onto a scoring target, how are you going to determine which hit that was?

i assumed at a casual glance that the no-shoot would be an addition to a regular target, and the purpose would be to make it harder to hit the scoring zone of the regular target.

I would also assume that someone paying attention would not put scoring targets behind it.

Evil would be putting the no-shoot over the top half of the shootable target. Then you have to account for the "drop" in drop turner. Meaning the no-shoot is on top and you have to be careful about the no-shoot dropping into your line of fire. :devil:

With that said, I'll add, I'm not crazy about stuff like this but it really doesn't have anything to do with my own ability to solve the shooting problem at hand. Actually, this one isn't that bad and I'm not even really writing this because of the opening post, but griping about some other more extreme range equipment I've seen in the past.

Some of the gimmickery and gotchaness of stuff I've seen can be a real turn off to new shooters if the evilness isn't contained to a somewhat reasonable level.

Sorry,,,,just triggered old memories of past, "gotcha" stages I've shot from years long past.

I agree with Corey. If you put a no-shoot on a disappearing drop turner,

I believe most shooters would not engage it. Risk/Reward is not in your

favor.

That's the point.Take it or leave it.The reason I like no shoot over hard cover is most of the time when we see disappearing targets. Some people(including myself) try to shoot as many round, as fast as they could in order to get the hit and not even see the sight or dot. Some shot hit the target,some hit the stand. Anyway the target will be only 7 ft away from where you can see it. I just want to make sure I am not doing something against the rule. Thanks for all input guys

Y

If I were going to do a NS on a DT I would put it either high or low so that it left ALL of the A and C zone available, or off to the side so that ALL of the A zone was available. It is a very doable shot, but it can also cost you if you screw up. To me it has to be worth the effort. Make the shot too tough and most people will leave it.

no-shoot on swinging targets.

Now THAT is evil!!

If I remember correctly one stage at the 2010 O/L10 Nats had two scoring targets separated by a NS that all swung together directly behind a wide window . At a distance. I'll try to find the vid.

edited to add Here you go. The stage starts at about 1:00.

Edited by Neomet

Tie a rope to the proper leg of the turner that runs back to the shooting area. Then the shooter has the choice to "reactivate" the turner and it's no longer a NPM.

I've not done a NS on a DT, but I'm thinking about it now....hehe.

There are a couple of threads on here about whether or not what you describe is a disappearing target or not. I don't know that there was ever a clear answer, but setting up something like that at a big match is just asking for trouble.

Edited by sperman

I had an "evil" short course at the beginning of the month. Best 6 on a drop turner that, at the end, showed a no-shoot. It was hose-able, but you had to reel it in at the end or pay the price. We painted the backs of the targets black hard cover to avoid any confusion.

It was quick and people had fun with it. I got 8 shots off and hit it with 7. Best 6 were 5 alpha 1 charlie.

Keep in mind that set-up will be critical here. Normally on a DT, when the target disappears, the competitor is looking at the back, which appears as a no-shoot.

Reverse that, and the competitor could be looking at brown, and might engage that target....

Easily fixed - paint the brown side of the target black.

Also, if you want to force it, put a shooting area somewhere DISTANT that will provide a place to access the drop turner if it's not engaged on movement - making it a non-disappearing target. Then they'll have to weigh taking it moving - or hightail it over to another shooting area to not get the mikes.

Way back in the day when we had surprise stages, I seem to recall seeing a stage where the course designer put a no shoot on a drop turner (no scoring target). A lot of folks automatically started shooting at it as it turned not bothering to identify it as a no shoot. Now *that* was evil. I miss surprise stages.