Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming a sponsored shooter

jedmyers

I mean not to sound greedy because I'm really not..but, wouldn't that be considered extra motivation to push yourself to be a better shooter

My exposure to MLM schemes has been that the lower level people are always motivated to rookey doo ... Err... i mean recruit people into being under them at the latest or lowest level. Meanwhile the people at the top are raking it in and laughing all the way to the bank.

The thing you have to ask yourself is "Is my sponsor going to provide their product and their jersey to me for free? Are they going to pay my match entry fees at major matches?".

If either answer is no, then it's time to move on. Who is sponsoring who?

Don't fall for the allure of the kool kid shirts.

Hey,

All I recommend is that you try to align yourself with excellent companies with excellent products that cover your variable costs completely. Variable costs like bullets or ammunition. This sport is so different from that of any other. You can pick up a basketball any time and shoot hoops relatively cheap. The upfront cost of the basketball is nothing and courts are all over the place and generally you don't have to pay to play or practice on them.

With shooting there are multiple variable costs. If you can align yourself with good companies to help cover the cost of bullets, powder, and primers then you'll be able to put the money you save towards match fees, maintenance, travel, etc. If they ask you to wear a logo, be professional, and represent their products in a positive manner I believe that is an equitable price to pay for someone's full support. Think about it... how many people do you see purchase clothes with logos on it for everyday wear and they're nothing but walking advertisements?

Just reach out for what's important, not the silly stuff. Maintain good values and make sure that what you're doing when no one is looking is ethical. Get what you need to keep making the gun go bang.

Sponsorships with good companies are about building trust, maintaining integrity, and having fun while developing friendships along the way.

Robby

Edited by PINMAN44

This is what I wrote earlier in the year:

"First, find a product that you truly like and believe in, then buy it. If it's a good as you thought it was, tell EVERYONE who will listen to you about it, show it to them, let them try it and so on. Then after you've turned a lot of people onto the product and the potential sponsor learns you've been working hard at promoting them on your own, they may offer you a sponsorship. At least that is how is happened for me....I'm not a GM or even a Master. But I love Infinity pistols and I've helped sell a bunch of them, because I believe in the product and the people/Company. Same thing goes for Atlanta Arms and Ammo, Danny Wisner and his Team take great care of me and I try to send them as much business as I can.

IMHO, it will work better if you use/love the product first,, not the other way around. "

Sponsorship isn't really about your shooting, yes it will be easier if you shoot straight, but isn't that important. The MOST important thing for a sponsor, what they search, is someone to sell product, no more, no less. They look for your Public Relations skill, not your shooting skills. You can be a GM, but if you stay in your corner, not talking to anyone, you aren't a good candidate.

They search PR guy, the guy who talk to everyone, and know everyone. They want the guy who will remember the name of the D class shooter meet last year, and as this guy know his name he will feel important and may buy the "put product here" on the PR guy shirt. They want the guy who when a shooter will tell "I feel my CZ trigger is heavy" will take him to the CZ stand and get him the required spring, and will tell the salesman "give this buddy a good price, he deserve it by using our product", by this, the CZ ( or any other product) will stay with this company...

They want a non selling sales person. A PR, an representant.

I know some sponserized shooter, and know what, they are sponserized because they believe in their product and they will show it.

Jed, I can appreciate what you are thinking but let me throw out something you may have not thought of. Right now, when you go shoot, you do it on your terms. You go to a match because it is fun. Or you dont go because you dont want to go. If you get sponsors, every time you shoot, you are doing it as a rep or salesman for your sponsor. Everytime. You dont decide to stay home just because you dont feel like going. Basically you have just gotten another job. Fun has turned to work. A hobby into a job. Is that really the way you want it?

On top of that, every match you attend, you are working. No longer are you there for fun. Maybe that will fit you, maybe not but you at least need to think about the other side.

Good luck, see you in hobbs or somewhere.

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

Hey I appreciate the advice mlmiller1, here lately I've been trying to step up my shooting and get more serious about it. As for the shooting for motivation that's not what Im meaning at all. I think I shoot better under pressure.

It's probably not all it's cracked up to be. It's not.

Do you really want to be a walking talking billboard for somebody? My "captain" called me those exact words. I found it quite enlightening and offensive at the same time. And it resulted in me seeing it for what it really was.

Remember that only a rare few get any real sponsorship. i.e. free stuff. Most just offer some kind of discount program so make sure it is something you will like and use. And be ready for your "sponsor" to introduce a new shirt design more often than you can keep track of. And of course, be ready to pay for them in order to keep up.

DON'T DO IT!! Just enjoy the shooting and get to know some people and something will come along. There are some very good companies in this sport that will give you great perks if you just put there logo on a shirt of your own design.cheers.gif

Jed, I can appreciate what you are thinking but let me throw out something you may have not thought of. Right now, when you go shoot, you do it on your terms. You go to a match because it is fun. Or you dont go because you dont want to go. If you get sponsors, every time you shoot, you are doing it as a rep or salesman for your sponsor. Everytime. You dont decide to stay home just because you dont feel like going. Basically you have just gotten another job. Fun has turned to work. A hobby into a job. Is that really the way you want it?

On top of that, every match you attend, you are working. No longer are you there for fun. Maybe that will fit you, maybe not but you at least need to think about the other side.

Good luck, see you in hobbs or somewhere.

MLM

I hear what you're saying but I don't truly agree. I get up at 5am every weekday to workout before work. I do it for many reasons, but mainly because I think all Cops should workout, be healthy and be able to take care of our Citizens.

So, when Saturday rolls around, I'm pretty tired of getting up early and I need a bit of motivation to wake up to shoot a match. I don't feel pressure, but am glad that Infinity Firearms and Atlanta Arms and Ammo gave me a shirt to wear and therefore the push I need to get out of bed.....

They've never complained about my match attendance or performance....They simply expect me to attend every match I can and represent them in positive manner.

Edited to add: I can wear some pretty cool, very exclusive Texas Ranger shirts and caps any time I want to....but I choose to wear those provided by my Sponsors. Not because I have to, but because I love their products and want to represent them. It doesn't pay me more or less, but simply makes me feel great to represent two awesome Companies and their products.

Edited by SV-COP

I hear what you're saying but I don't truly agree. I get up at 5am every weekday to workout before work. I do it for many reasons, but mainly because I think all Cops should workout, be healthy and be able to take care of our Citizens.

So, when Saturday rolls around, I'm pretty tired of getting up early and I need a bit of motivation to wake up to shoot a match. I don't feel pressure, but am glad that Infinity Firearms and Atlanta Arms and Ammo gave me a shirt to wear and therefore the push I need to get out of bed.....

They've never complained about my match attendance or performance....They simply expect me to attend every match I can and represent them in positive manner.

Edited to add: I can wear some pretty cool, very exclusive Texas Ranger shirts and caps any time I want to....but I choose to wear those provided by my Sponsors. Not because I have to, but because I love their products and want to represent them. It doesn't pay me more or less, but simply makes me feel great to represent two awesome Companies and their products.

I sort of see what you are saying but you are talking about wearing a shirt. You're not talking about cash. Jed is wanting sponsors to help offset his costs to attend matches. I'm pretty sure that is a bigger responsibility altogether. I also wear a sponsor shirt, that I bought myself, because I believe in the product. I do get a "discount" from the folks on the shirt, which I appreciate greatly but I would probably wear the shirt anyway as I really do believe in what they sell.

MLM

Well said SV Cop. All kinds of reasons to align ones self with a company. Doing so because you want to spread the word of that company is a great reason.

I think knowing the product and believing in it should be the first step for a shooter looking for support. Being privileged enough to be supported means being an ambassador of the company and the sport.

This is what I wrote earlier in the year:

"First, find a product that you truly like and believe in, then buy it. If it's a good as you thought it was, tell EVERYONE who will listen to you about it, show it to them, let them try it and so on. Then after you've turned a lot of people onto the product and the potential sponsor learns you've been working hard at promoting them on your own, they may offer you a sponsorship. At least that is how is happened for me....I'm not a GM or even a Master. But I love Infinity pistols and I've helped sell a bunch of them, because I believe in the product and the people/Company. Same thing goes for Atlanta Arms and Ammo, Danny Wisner and his Team take great care of me and I try to send them as much business as I can.

IMHO, it will work better if you use/love the product first,, not the other way around. "

Sponsorship isn't really about your shooting, yes it will be easier if you shoot straight, but isn't that important. The MOST important thing for a sponsor, what they search, is someone to sell product, no more, no less. They look for your Public Relations skill, not your shooting skills. You can be a GM, but if you stay in your corner, not talking to anyone, you aren't a good candidate.

They search PR guy, the guy who talk to everyone, and know everyone. They want the guy who will remember the name of the D class shooter meet last year, and as this guy know his name he will feel important and may buy the "put product here" on the PR guy shirt. They want the guy who when a shooter will tell "I feel my CZ trigger is heavy" will take him to the CZ stand and get him the required spring, and will tell the salesman "give this buddy a good price, he deserve it by using our product", by this, the CZ ( or any other product) will stay with this company...

They want a non selling sales person. A PR, an representant.

I know some sponserized shooter, and know what, they are sponserized because they believe in their product and they will show it.

I like the reverse sponsorship . I the shooter like your product, therefore I help sell and advertise your product. If you like what I'm doing for you and see a positive outcome and then reward my assistance . More better for me and you.

These distilled sum it up for me.

I don't knock paid spokesmen, but you can just tell the guys who get the product. There is a huge difference between the knowledgeable guy promoting a product, and the guy who truly gets what that product is all about.

I sort of see what you are saying but you are talking about wearing a shirt. You're not talking about cash. Jed is wanting sponsors to help offset his costs to attend matches. I'm pretty sure that is a bigger responsibility altogether. I also wear a sponsor shirt, that I bought myself, because I believe in the product. I do get a "discount" from the folks on the shirt, which I appreciate greatly but I would probably wear the shirt anyway as I really do believe in what they sell.

MLM

I hear ya and I apologize for not being clear. But, you're exactly right, I'm purposely not talking about the extent of the sponsorship ($$ amount). To be polite, I'm simply talking about the shirts. But the truth is, if they both pulled their support tomorrow, I'd still give them my business. That is what I was trying to say. The shirts and support are just a bonus and a little motivation when I need it.

• 4 weeks later...

I would kill for an ammo sponsor. That's really the only part of the sport that's expensive to me. Who cares about match fees and shirts? I can blow a $100 match fee's worth of ammo in a single range trip without breaking a sweat.

If I owned a shooting-related company of COURSE I'd give shooters a discount and shirt to billboard my brand of neon shoelaces or whatever at every match they went to.

Also helps to broaden your horizons when looking for sponsor opportunities. The company you work for may be willing to sponsor your trip to an Area match simply for the morale it builds with company employees. If you look outside the box you may find lots of opportunity you never knew was there...

As for the logo shirts - I really like my Techwear shirt - and it would look silly without any logos on it... :roflol:

• 3 months later...

Sponsorship is about money, think first on what you can offer the sponsor to help them make money. And remember nothing is free.

I got a reminder that sometimes, money isn't everything.

I set up a meeting with a local manufacturer of shooting related products (Gun belts, range bags, gun rugs, brass bags, etc). The owner is an old friend and his main sales agent is a close friend.

My pitch was simple. I was hoping to develop a package with his product branded with the guns logo. The premise was a package that the retailer could offer along with the gun and spare mags. The newbie buying an IPSC gun could buy one package plus his choice of holster and mag pouches.

I missed two key points.

1) I didn't realize until too late that he didn't understand how a sponsored shooting team operates. He was thinking it was like a kids hockey team, shooting together instead of independantly.

2) The wider exposure it would bring was in effect unwelcome. He's at a point where the range gear line is a side line, and increased sales would be taking away from his core business.

In the end, I couldn't bring him anything he would have truly valued, and taking anything under those conditions would have been selfish.

Live and learn.