Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI trigger in STI grip?

Ssanders224

Guys,

I would like to put an SVI "insert" type trigger in my STI gripped limited gun, but I have heard from a few people that it takes A LOT of fitting and grip modification?

However, there sure are a bunch of STIs out there with SV triggers....

So whats the scoop? Will the channels in the STI grip have to be changed? Trigger bow changed?

Thanks for the info.

They can be an absolute PIA to fit into the STI grip. My experience is that the bow (in the grip itself) is too long) leaving the sear not able to settle into the hammer hooks. You can reshape the bow so it is shorter front to back which can be very time consuming as the bow grows side to side when you try this. If you have access to a milling machine you can mill the sear to gain clearance or you can buy a "gunsmith fit" trigger from STI and reshape the shoe to the length and shape you want.

If you just want the "cool factor" you are going to have to work for it.

Pat

Compared to a SPS (believe that they are identical to STI but not 100% sure) the SVI trigger bow is thinner and a little longer. Also the "blade" is lower compared to the channel in the grip.

The SVI bow will be sloppy and in worst case the corners can fall out of the channel and jaming the trigger.

I prefer to install the SVI trigger on stock trigger bow.

+1 to snake32, the catch being that it is the "old" SV style. I bought a new SVI insert at Nats last year, what a waste of money. Smoked it trying to reshape the bow. It now sits in the bottom of the parts drawer as a reminder of what not to do. Buy a blank and shape it.

You need to widen the trigger shoe channel in STI frames to get the trigger in. Takes a fair amount of time with a file, but you can do it.

The length of the bow is another issue. Do a search on here for the thread by Dan Bedell on using the STI bow on the SV base. It's not that hard of a change to make. As mentioned above, you can also reshape the SV bow to shorten it to give you adequate take-up. I modified a trigger anvil and made a punch to move the center of the back of the bow forward, but as Pat Miles said above, it will take some time fitting the width of the bow to the grip.

I think the easiest fix is to just swap the bows.

Edited by jpl

It's a PIA for certain, the channels need to be widened and they are a tad long,

all as stated above.. It's max cool and I've done it on all my Double Stacks, but

if you're not well versed I would definitely hire a 'smith that knows how to do this

particular mod...

One way to do it but kinda pricey is to unstake both bows and put the SVI shoe on the STI bow. I have done it and it is not that hard to do. You just have to make sure everything is square and true. After you are sure it fits restake and fill all the spaces with a good 2 part epoxy and you are all set.

One way to do it but kinda pricey is to unstake both bows and put the SVI shoe on the STI bow. I have done it and it is not that hard to do. You just have to make sure everything is square and true. After you are sure it fits restake and fill all the spaces with a good 2 part epoxy and you are all set.

I tried to modify the SVI bow, but it did not work for me either. I did swap the bows and it has worked well for me for over a year now. I did not use the epoxy, but I like the idea and next time I have it out I will add some.

My gunsmith does mine for me. Trigger is more expensive than the smith work. You can modify the grip or modify the trigger. I didn't want my grip modified in case I went back to STI triggers so we narrowed the SVI trigger. Works great., but like I said I let the professional do it instead of my neadthal self grinding on it.

funny I was just about to search this and low & behold just a few posts down. So obviously the best method seems to replace the SV shoe on a STI bow, I couldn't find a procedure for doing that however. Any thoughts?

funny I was just about to search this and low & behold just a few posts down. So obviously the best method seems to replace the SV shoe on a STI bow, I couldn't find a procedure for doing that however. Any thoughts?

On the back of the SV shoe the bow is held on by two pieces of aluminum that are part of the shoe. I carefully bent those back to release the SV bow.

I used a Dremel to remove the plastic STI trigger shoe from the STI bow. The STI bow had a bit more metal where the trigger shoe was so I had to remove some of the metal to get it to fit into the SV shoe. This was not hard to fit.

I then put the SV shoe on the bow and pushed the tabs back in place making sure the shoe was straight. I did not put epoxy in the joint and it has been ok for over a year, but I think that is a good idea.

The top and bottom of the trigger shoe is also A bit too tall so some material was removed there for fitting.

For smaller things like this I usually do it myself because of the time it would take to get the work done by my smith.

• 2 years later...

On the back of the SV shoe the bow is held on by two pieces of aluminum that are part of the shoe. I carefully bent those back to release the SV bow.I used a Dremel to remove the plastic STI trigger shoe from the STI bow. The STI bow had a bit more metal where the trigger shoe was so I had to remove some of the metal to get it to fit into the SV shoe. This was not hard to fit. I then put the SV shoe on the bow and pushed the tabs back in place making sure the shoe was straight. I did not put epoxy in the joint and it has been ok for over a year, but I think that is a good idea. The top and bottom of the trigger shoe is also A bit too tall so some material was removed there for fitting.For smaller things like this I usually do it myself because of the time it would take to get the work done by my smith.

I know this is an old post but does anyone have pics to what this all looks like, I would like to do this to my sti and have heard its easy but I'm kinda a visual learner??

• 7 months later...

I just fit an SVI trigger into an STI frame. A tad of filing on the top and bottom of the trigger and sides of the grip.

Bought an extreme grip especially for this purpose. Then used markers as an indicator of the high spots to file out the grips where it was tight on the bow and the sides of the trigger. Came out absolutely perfect. Very patient use of a small flat file and you will be very happy.

Adjusted the trigger for no pre travel and then used the screw to adjust out the over travel.. 2.5 lbs and a great feel. I think it looks great too. Two matches through it with perfect function

post-53044-0-29005300-1431643922_thumb.j

Edited by Bigsampson