Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Capacity AR 15 Magazines

Most ever was at a match in Fairbanks it was a zombie style match where one stage had us shooting 86 rifle rounds.

For the money the Nordic magazine extension for the P mag is the best thing going. Its 48 rounds and unless you need to go low prone it will work for you. The Surefire 60's are finicky with ammo and I only use mine when needed and I do my best to keep them from going to the dirt.

483020.jpg

Its the mag on the left.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=29311/Product/PMAG-18-ROUND-CLEAR-EXTENSION

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have 2 cproducts 40 round gi style mags. They have been 100% reliable.

Biggest course of fire I've shot was 36 rounds.

funny u should bring up c-products mags. i was a large dealer for them (10,000 ar mags a year). when they were active they gave me 4 samples at shot. in my mind i said no way. most reliable really hi caps i have ever seen. just used 2 at rock castle 3-4 times. have used them for over 1-2 years or so. NEVER had a jam or failure to feed. didn't do anything. BIG NOTE i am also a full line sure dealer. bought 200 surefire mags when i saw them at shot. cancelled all orders after 1st 50 arrived. just a heads up. not fooling with anything so finicky. as Alaska p-- said if u cant drop them or have to nurse them i wont own them. in our goody bag at r/c was a mag pul. bought the nordic extension thingy. gonna give that a try when i get time.

nuff said

jjw

I am pretty sure I have shot well over 90 rounds of rifle on a single stage. Used to happend more often :surprise: I primarily use the magazine that is best suited to the stage and if there is long range rifle from prone, rooftop, etc. that determines the mag I use. A mag change in most 3Gun courses is no big deal. I take at least 2 20s, 3 30s, a 40 and a 48 to every match.

That said, I do use the Nordic Pmag extension 48 rounder on about 1/3 of the stages. Tried some of the other 48+ round options and keep coming back to the Nordic/Pmag 48 rounder.

I still run my oldschool 45 round "suddendeath" mag. I got it before the Pmag extensions etc became popular. I saw 2 nordic pmag extentions at the last local match go bad and not work at all. Usually I take my 45 rounder, a couple 30s, a couple 20s and a coupled 30 round mag. I use the mag best suited for the task at hand

funny u should bring up c-products mags. i was a large dealer for them (10,000 ar mags a year). when they were active they gave me 4 samples at shot. in my mind i said no way. most reliable really hi caps i have ever seen. just used 2 at rock castle 3-4 times. have used them for over 1-2 years or so. NEVER had a jam or failure to feed. didn't do anything. BIG NOTE i am also a full line sure dealer. bought 200 surefire mags when i saw them at shot. cancelled all orders after 1st 50 arrived. just a heads up. not fooling with anything so finicky. as Alaska p-- said if u cant drop them or have to nurse them i wont own them. in our goody bag at r/c was a mag pul. bought the nordic extension thingy. gonna give that a try when i get time.

nuff said

jjw

With the nordic pmag extension just make sure you smooth the internal transition between the two bodies. Mine would hang up until I filed it to a smooth transition. No problems since in the last two years.

funny u should bring up c-products mags. i was a large dealer for them (10,000 ar mags a year). when they were active they gave me 4 samples at shot. in my mind i said no way. most reliable really hi caps i have ever seen. just used 2 at rock castle 3-4 times. have used them for over 1-2 years or so. NEVER had a jam or failure to feed. didn't do anything. BIG NOTE i am also a full line sure dealer. bought 200 surefire mags when i saw them at shot. cancelled all orders after 1st 50 arrived. just a heads up. not fooling with anything so finicky. as Alaska p-- said if u cant drop them or have to nurse them i wont own them. in our goody bag at r/c was a magpul. bought the Nordic extension thingy. gonna give that a try when i get time.

nuff said

jjw

With the nordic pmag extension just make sure you smooth the internal transition between the two bodies. Mine would hang up until I filed it to a smooth transition. No problems since in the last two years.

tks guy the heavy set guy with the Mohawk strip told me about that. i got him to show me 1 as my gun friends think there should be a 7 day waiting period for me to use a dremel. 1 of my best friends is a regional glock trainer. when i ask him he always say WAIT I WILL BE HOME SOON

l.o.l.

Will SMOOTH IT carefully

jjw

funny u should bring up c-products mags. i was a large dealer for them (10,000 ar mags a year). when they were active they gave me 4 samples at shot. in my mind i said no way. most reliable really hi caps i have ever seen. just used 2 at rock castle 3-4 times. have used them for over 1-2 years or so. NEVER had a jam or failure to feed. didn't do anything. BIG NOTE i am also a full line sure dealer. bought 200 surefire mags when i saw them at shot. cancelled all orders after 1st 50 arrived. just a heads up. not fooling with anything so finicky. as Alaska p-- said if u cant drop them or have to nurse them i wont own them. in our goody bag at r/c was a magpul. bought the Nordic extension thingy. gonna give that a try when i get time.

nuff said

jjw

tks guy the heavy set guy with the Mohawk strip told me about that. i got him to show me 1 as my gun friends think there should be a 7 day waiting period for me to use a dremel. 1 of my best friends is a regional glock trainer. when i ask him he always say WAIT I WILL BE HOME SOON

l.o.l.

Will SMOOTH IT carefully

jjw

A pocketknife and a piece of sandpaper is all that is needed. Just scrape the mag and the extension with the knife then smooth it pit with the sandpaper.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I run a couple of old Sterling 40-round mags that I've had for a while.

Once upon a time, they were about the only mags out there that would hold more than 30 rounds in an AR15. They were actually made for the AR18 / AR180, but they have the cut for the AR15 catch as well.

JJW that big guy is kenny Anderson he is a really nice guy and a good shooter. He aslo showed me how to take black electrical tape and secure the area around the joint. Apparantly when you dump the gun in the barrel or bump the mag to hard it could seperate.

Schult

JJW that big guy is kenny Anderson he is a really nice guy and a good shooter. He aslo showed me how to take black electrical tape and secure the area around the joint. Apparantly when you dump the gun in the barrel or bump the mag to hard it could seperate.

Schult

tks he was out of business cards. forgot his name\. he told me about the tape also. not got to it yet but will in a few

will look for something to secure the 2 1/2's better. what about tie wraps cinched down. God knows 1/2 my gear is held together with green duc tape when i'm working some where. would like a better option.

ideas please

tia

jjw

Like Marc, I keep an assortment of mags in my bag. I always have at least 1 20rd for rooftop work, a few Lancer 30's, a C-Products 40 (which holds 42), a Pmag with Nordic extension for 48 and 2 GI mags coupled together for 60. The mag which gets the most match use is my C-Products 40. I've been using it for years and it has been without failure. It is also the perfect hieght for me to monopod. It's all beat up and looks terrible, but it's stainless construction, was cheap, holds lots of cartridges and just plain works.

I run the same mags as 9mmbill but I also carry a 20 round mag incase of low stuff. Most Rifle stages have challenging targets but not high round counts so if you are needing more capacity because you are missing, you should slow down and get your hits. If you don't, you will throw a lot of rounds down range for not as you may not finish the stage in the alloted time. The matches I shoot have minimum rifle at around 40 for a stage with a lot of rifle.

In terms of which mags to run on given stages, most of the time, a 20 or 30 round mag is more than sufficient...that's a tip I got from Benny H.......if you don't need more rounds, running aftermarket mags just increases your likelihood of a failure. While I appreciate that many people have had positive experiences with different mags, I offer the idea that all mags will fail at some point...I've seen Nordic's fail, Lancer's fail, Surefire's fail, etc etc etc.

With that said, I've had the most success with the Nordic extension.

One other thing to consider.......if you're needing more than 48 rounds on a stage, there will likely be a time and place for a reload in that COF that won't impact your time (relatively speaking).

Mark also hit it on the head....mag choice is often influenced by what positions you will be required to use in a COF...if your going to go prone, the Nordic 48 probably isn't your best choice roflol.gif

I think the most I've ever gone through on one stage is somewhere around 60-70.

Lancer 48 rounders work great. They are a big supporter of the sport as well

Yes! I've been running a Lancer 48 rounder for the past year. It works flawless. I also run there 30's. As 45shooter said big supporter of the sport. Just shot the York 3man/3gun this past Sunday, every shooter was given a free 30rd Lancer mag.