Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versatile handgun powder?

Scott L

I recently got back into USPSA and the reloading that goes with it. I'm expanding the calibers I reload, which is going to include 9mm, 40, 10mm and 45ACP. Of those, I plan to shoot the 9mm minor for Production and maybe Limited on occasion, along with 40 major for Limited. The 10mm and 45 are mainly just for fun. I've already got a lot of lead heads for 40 and 45, and have been looking at Berry's plated or Bayou for the 9mm.

What I'd really like is to find one powder that can cover all of the above calibers with lead, plated or jacketed bullets. I've been using Titegroup and AA#5 since I still have a couple pounds of both. Once the Titegroup is gone I think I'm done with it, and Accurate just isn't that common in the local shops.

From the reading and searching I've done in the caliber specific reloading sections here, I seem to see WSF and Solo1000 pop up for multiple calibers and with any type of bullet. Additionally, I've been able to find both powders locally at reasonable prices. Any thoughts on these two powders for multiple calibers and bullet types? Any recommendations on load data for Solo1000? I can't seem to find handgun data for it.

Scott

Edited by Scott L

VV320. I would avoid clays for 40major

+1. I use clays for 40 minor (but n320 works well too), and also use n320 for 9mm and 45. probably switching back to n320 for 40 minor even, if some careful testing backs up my impression that accuracy is better.

WST is another one that should work well for all 3 calibers. I haven't tried it yet, but it's often touted as a poor man's n320.

I can rarely find n320 locally tho, so I just order it from powder valley. 4 lbs plus shipping and hazmat costs about the same as 4 1-lb containers locally, and i can get 10k or so primers too for the same hazmat.

Clays has its uses but is a very fast burning powder and has limited use in that respect. Hodgdon doesn't even list it for use with 10mm, for example. It also tends to yield velocities on the low side even when used at max loadings.

WSF is a much more universal powder.

Winchester 231 is another generic powder that works in many calibers.

There is some data for Solo 1000 at Accurate's website.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Winchester Super Field. Works very well and safely for major and minor .40, minor 9, most .45 loads and 10mm. Solo1000 and Clays are just a waste of time for 10mm. WST would be okay for everything too...a little better for minor and a little worse for major and 10mm. If you are working up loads for .40 major in a 1911/2011 and plan to load long, I might just push you towards WST and say get a pound of 800X for the 10mm.

The variations in Solo1000 lot to lot pretty much nix it for major for me.

Thanks for the responses. I expected VV320 to be a response. I'm not against it because of the price, I've seen the comparisons and understand if you buy more than a pound at a time the cost difference isn't that great. My main concern with VV is finding it locally if needed, I've seen 2 bottles of it locally and I don't think either one was 320.

As for the 10mm, I'll probably end up with a different powder if I want to really load to the 10mm power level. At this point I was just thinking some lighter practice loads. And as for Titegroup, I've got A LOT of lead waiting to be loaded and I'm not happy with the fog produced with Titegroup and lead bullets. I'm actually looking to use the rest of the Titegroup I've got for 9mm loads with jacketed bullets, then switching over to a different powder.

Again, thanks for the info. At this point I'm really leaning towards WSF as it looks like there is good data for all the calibers and I know it's available locally if needed.

ETA: For 40 major I'm running a Glock 20 with 40 conversion barrel, so I am loading long at approximately 1.190". Again, I've got a lot of lead to use up.

Edited by Scott L

I would go with Winchester 231. Its been around forever, has a proven track record, it's inexpensive, and readily available ALL THE TIME. It may not be as high zoot as the newer stuff, but there's a reason its been around so long.

Smitty

Clays for heavy lead bullets to just make PF. WSF, 231/HP38 are good for jacketed slugs. I load 9mm, .38 and .45 ACP for IDPA/USPSA/ICORE, and those three powders handle them all very well.

Scott - I'm a bit late to the party here but I use AA5 and clays.

AA5 works great in 9mm. I use 5.3 gr under a 147 gr Precision Bullet.

I use clays for light .45 target loads. For that, its 4.0gr of Clays under a 200 gr SWC. As others have said, Clays is a very fast powder and isn't suited to high power loads.

But for low power loads, I really like it. At these lower pressures, it burns much cleaner than anything else I've ever used. (At similar power, Win 231 smokes like black powder)

Also the fast impulse seems to provide a little better slide speed than slower powders. Finally the cleanliness results in noticeably less gunk in the gun. Not a bad thing.

Hope this helps.

Don thanks for the info. I'll keep Clays in mind. Not really looking for high power stuff, just a powder that will work in all my calibers and give minor or major PF where needed. Just started loading 9mm with Titegroup to use up the 3.5# I've got, hope it's better with the JHPs than it is with lead.

Don thanks for the info. I'll keep Clays in mind. Not really looking for high power stuff, just a powder that will work in all my calibers and give minor or major PF where needed. Just started loading 9mm with Titegroup to use up the 3.5# I've got, hope it's better with the JHPs than it is with lead.

Well, when you are done with the titegroup, AA5 works well in 9mm also.

Personally, I use WST for 9,40 and 45.

I started using WST in my 45 acp back when it replaced my old favorite, 452AA. A few years ago, I started using it for my 40 limited gun. When I got my production gun, I started using it for the 9 as well.

It is slightly reverse temperature sensitive. All my loads were developed in 90 degree temps and when the mercury drops to 40 degrees it will pick up between 3-5 PF depending on caliber. However, none of the loads show any signs of excess pressure at the colder temps.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Jeff

Personally, I use WST for 9,40 and 45.

I started using WST in my 45 acp back when it replaced my old favorite, 452AA. A few years ago, I started using it for my 40 limited gun. When I got my production gun, I started using it for the 9 as well.

It is slightly reverse temperature sensitive. All my loads were developed in 90 degree temps and when the mercury drops to 40 degrees it will pick up between 3-5 PF depending on caliber. However, none of the loads show any signs of excess pressure at the colder temps.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Jeff

Same here except I also use it for .38spl. WST is a very versatile powder.

Don't you all know that Unique is supposed to be THE powder for loading everything?

Yeah, I never liked something that was mediocre at everything.. but it seems that some people use it for EVERYTHING including low velocity rifle ammo..

It is generally a middle of the road powder for shotshell and pistol use.. and unless you run it at the top of it's pressure level in pistol, it can be a little sooty/dirty.

• 2 weeks later...