Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Choices ;)

zhunter

OK, I have narrowed it down to a JP Original Kit (using a JP Speed Hammer) or a JP EZ Kit.

The EZ Kit is a or close to a drop in trigger, the Original is one that takes a bit of gunsmithing.

Is one better than the other from a feel/usage standpoint?

Edited by zhunter

For my $$$ JP is hard to beat.

2nd plsace, for the $$$, might be timney.

CMCs have given me problems as recently as this morning. Good customer service. I just seem to have needed a lot of it. Not a fan, at least not today.

OK, I have narrowed it down to a JP Original Kit (using a JP Speed Hammer) or a JP EZ Kit.

The EZ Kit is a or close to a drop in trigger, the Original is one that takes a bit of gunsmithing.

Is one better than the other from a feel/usage standpoint?

they can be made the same, but the ez kit IS ez, no install-remove file install. just adjust the set screws.

and the wilson TTU 3 gun trigger for a great drop in.

Go with the Original JP. The gunsmithing required is minimal. I have only ever had the fit the trigger to the safety once in the dozen or so I have installed. A sixteenth of a turn of the adjustment screw can make a difference between having to fit to the safety or not. By far the most labour intensive part is timing the disconnector. My method is to put 800 grit paper on a flat surface and take 2-3 swipes on the nose of the disconnector till it times properly. The time comes from having to refit the disconnector a few times.

For the hammer, if you have a rounded profile stock hammer, try cutting the tail off first to match the profile of the JP hammer. You might be surprised at the results.

Mick

The Geissele 3 gun trigger is hard to beat. It is awsome - short travel, reset and smooth as silk.It is a very good trigger. However,if you are mechanically inclined give the Jard adjustable trigger a try. It is by far better than any trigger previously mentioned. It will take you into a state of ectasy hard to imagine.

My favorites in a particular order:

Timney- Great trigger pull, even better reset, super easy install, excellent price

JP- Great trigger pull, excellent reset, moderate install, fair priced

AR Gold- good trigger pull, weak reset, easy install, higher priced

S3G- not a fan. A lot of guys absolutely love them. But I do not like the long, rolling travel before it breaks. It's like a 2 stage trigger w/ the second stage that is the same weight as the 1st w/ no stop between 1st and 2nd.

I like JP triggers done by JP. I have felt some good ones that were done by other people, but the few that I have had/felt that were done by JP were better, in my opinion. I like the Gissele better than the AR Gold.

My AR Gold started falling to "half cock" (for lack of a better term) after ~1200 round in my AR10. It still works in an AR15 though, the big rifle is just too rough on it. I hear that they have a new trigger just for 308s now though.

Hurley

The Geissele 3 gun trigger is hard to beat. It is awsome - short travel, reset and smooth as silk.It is a very good trigger. However,if you are mechanically inclined give the Jard adjustable trigger a try. It is by far better than any trigger previously mentioned. It will take you into a state of ectasy hard to imagine.

+1.........Jard Adjustable is indeed a very very sweet trigger, just make sure you loctite everything down when the adjustments are done.

Have you guys commenting on the JP actually tried it ? Mine felt as if it was grinding sand. I very quickly gave it away. Timney is OK. Chip Mcormick is OK. There are many OK triggers.The Geissele is in a class above. The Jard fully adjustable trigger is in a class by itself.

Have you guys commenting on the JP actually tried it ? Mine felt as if it was grinding sand. I very quickly gave it away. Timney is OK. Chip Mcormick is OK. There are many OK triggers.The Geissele is in a class above. The Jard fully adjustable trigger is in a class by itself.

Your JP was either not installed properly or defective. Did you use a GI hammer?

I am not a gambler, but I would put money on the JP trigger being in more major match winning rifles over the last 10 years than any other trigger. Quite possibly even in more major match winning rifles than all other aftermarket triggers combined.

And yes, I have two lowers w/ JP triggers that have more than a few rounds on them.

AR Gold is my fav. It is light, fast has an actual "break" with a super short reset.

Timney would be my second choice

CMC third.

I HATE the Geissele trigger esp the 3g, it is nothing but "mush" it has no real break and just feels awful.

That said, triggers are the most subjective part of the gun. Try as many as you can in friends guns before you buy.

Edited by bpipe95

Geissele for me. The 3 gun trigger certainly isn't for everyone, however I wouldn't call it mush. Its a hybrid trigger, there isn't supposed to be a traditional break. Its amazing out to mid range but takes a fairly compitant shooter to do well with it on those far precision shots. Fit and finish are excellent on all of their products.

AR Gold is my fav. It is light, fast has an actual "break" with a super short reset.

Timney would be my second choice

CMC third.

I HATE the Geissele trigger esp the 3g, it is nothing but "mush" it has no real break and just feels awful.

That said, triggers are the most subjective part of the gun. Try as many as you can in friends guns before you buy.

I love Geissele triggers especially the 3g. Its a personal thing but Geissele triggers are well respected in many different venues. I usually recommend the 3g and the Jp trigger depending on what they like.

Pat

I have/had two JP's, Accuracy Speaks, Jewell, Geiseille 3G flat, Geiseille 3lb(?-Brownells) and Geiseille 4lb(?-Midway).

I have come to dislike any AR trigger that has any set screws.

Reset on the Geiseille and Jewell are like Beretta triggers. After they reset there is take up. Whereas the 1911 doesn't have any take-up after reset.

Though it wore out at about 10K rounds I prefer the Accuracy Speaks trigger out of all of them. Has no set screws. Single stage. Had a lighter pull than the JP's even when the JP's used the yellow springs. It had no take-up after reset. Accuracy Speaks also uses full power springs for reliability.

My favorites in a particular order:

Timney- Great trigger pull, even better reset, super easy install, excellent price

JP- Great trigger pull, excellent reset, moderate install, fair priced

AR Gold- good trigger pull, weak reset, easy install, higher priced

S3G- not a fan. A lot of guys absolutely love them. But I do not like the long, rolling travel before it breaks. It's like a 2 stage trigger w/ the second stage that is the same weight as the 1st w/ no stop between 1st and 2nd.

Bryan, I reinstalled the JP and got the same results. Took it to a fellow club shooter who is a JP nut with about the same results......mush. His triggers, after extensive work on them, were somewhat better. But JP's are over priced. I would not mind owning a Timney if I cannot get a Jard adjustable or the Geissel 3 G hybrid. But I respect your and everyone elses opinion.

++1 on the Jard.

if you are mechanically inclined, the jard will serve you well. i have 2011 that have 1lbs triggers and Jard make you think you have a 2011

i also like the geissle, but i only have 1 ( the 3G model) but have mostly Jards.