Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks glock34shooter! last question, as I have pretty much decided on this scope...how big is the center dot @ 1X magnification? online manual says the dot is 1/2 MOA...but I assume that's at 6X, and was wondering how large it was at 1X. thanks!

Edited by Jin

the center dot does not change across the magnification range. it is .5 @1x and .5 @2x and .5 @6x.

buy the scope.

Sorry but its a second focal plane scope so that is not correct. At 6x if its a .5 moa dot then its a 3 moa dot at 1x. I just checked mine and that seems about right.

Pat

Thanks Pat. ~ 3 MOA @ 1X sounds good. In the process of ordering one.

I have been comparing the vortex 1-6 vs the Leopold Mark6...hoping the vortex would come out on top due to less damage on the wallet.

Although i like the hash marks for windage; I was reading the recticle is hard to see on the Leupold Mark6 (first focal plane) at 1X.

Thanks Pat. ~ 3 MOA @ 1X sounds good. In the process of ordering one.

I have been comparing the vortex 1-6 vs the Leopold Mark6...hoping the vortex would come out on top due to less damage on the wallet.

Although i like the hash marks for windage; I was reading the recticle is hard to see on the Leupold Mark6 (first focal plane) at 1X.

I have not spent any time looking at the Leupold, But I get plenty of Leupold owners that want to look through my 1-6 Razor. and every one of them say the Vortex Razor has a much more forgiving eye relife distand than the LeupY.

The Joy I get out of shooting has gone up a lot now that I am useing the 1-6

Appreciate the input all. just completed the order through Liberty Optics (Scott).

Will follow up with my initial thoughts of the optic after sighting it in...

Thanks

didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted with the vortex this weekend, but had the chance to at least shoot a bit at 200 to get it sighted in. pretty sweet scope!!! Fine reticle for distance and bright reticle at 1x. and the glass impressed my cousin who has pretty high standards.

Time to look for a throw lever...is MGM switchview a decent choice?

The MGM fits my style the very best, in fact if you buy a Vortex lever it will be made by MGM.

IF your going to be at the TMG this weekend you can try my lever out.

I got to shoot in the Noveske 3G in Colorado couple weeks ago and while there a gentleman took the time to unbag his rifle so I could look through his Vortex. WOW, that thing was just what I'm looking for! I've been running the 1-4 PST and while I like the glass the "HOT DOT" in the new Razor was the best of both worlds to me. True 1x with a daylight visible dot and a very clear simple reticle for LR targets.

Thanks again to the Gentleman that took the time, now I'm on the hunt for one of these!

I got to shoot in the Noveske 3G in Colorado couple weeks ago and while there a gentleman took the time to unbag his rifle so I could look through his Vortex. WOW, that thing was just what I'm looking for! I've been running the 1-4 PST and while I like the glass the "HOT DOT" in the new Razor was the best of both worlds to me. True 1x with a daylight visible dot and a very clear simple reticle for LR targets.

Thanks again to the Gentleman that took the time, now I'm on the hunt for one of these!

That sounds like Jamie, aka Alamo Shooter. I love the 1-6x Razor, if Vortex put the same reticle in a 1-4X, they would dominate the 3 gun market.

I was at Noveske as well, and shot my new Vortex 1-6 in the match after receiving it from SWFA on Thursday. I was impressed. The dot was plenty bright, glass seemed very clear, and the scope was easy to use. My only complaint was that my MGM switchview showed up on Friday, when I was in Colorado.

I ended up having walking past a target, and had two FTN's (all with pistol somehow), and still ended up at 13th in TacOps. The scope did its part, now if I can just do mine!

Got to do some testing with scope on my 308 yesterday. Why does chrono have to quit on range day? Just shot test loads for accuracy and was getting good results.

Moved my steel to 300 yds and tried 4 different bullet loads that rifle was not zeroed with. Put second mark on plate, pow and smack every round hit. Could see plate reacting to hit in recoil before report came back.

Really liking this scope!

Pow waaaiiitttt Smack next repeat! English teachers really got to hate that sentence.

Nice bearcave! I hope to play with the BDC this weekend.

Did a quick comparison to a TR24....the eyebox is not quite as large/forgiving on the vortex, but it is pretty close; which says a lot. Because the TR24 is not picky at all.

What I did initially notice yesterday playing around with 1X on the vortex was that it made objects seem smaller....I am talking about at close objects ~ 15 yard away. And with both eyes open it was a bit disorienting. Then I noticed the focus adjustment was turned all the way in (clockwise). I turned it out counter clockwise a bit and was able to tune the 1x so objects ~ 15 yards seemed truly 1x. I don't know if the focus ring is shipped from the factory turned in all the way, and I don't know if the focus ring also has the dual purpose if fine tuning @ 1x. I guess I will find out at the range when my distant targets seems blurry.

Got to do some testing with scope on my 308 yesterday. Why does chrono have to quit on range day? Just shot test loads for accuracy and was getting good results.

Moved my steel to 300 yds and tried 4 different bullet loads that rifle was not zeroed with. Put second mark on plate, pow and smack every round hit. Could see plate reacting to hit in recoil before report came back.

Really liking this scope!

Pow waaaiiitttt Smack next repeat! English teachers really got to hate that sentence.

Thats what I call the "JOY Factor " any other scope Just wont do any more

How are you guys holding for wind with the JM-1 reticle?

Jeff

I just got finished with the Texas Multi gun that allways has a cross wind of some kind. This morning it was only 10 +

What I do is gage the windage in comparison to the target size and the end mark on the 400 or 500 yard bar. useing the targets today I held two targets width into the wind. And I the long range stage boosted my scores for the match.

Most of the time with 1/4 wind angle as all I have to do is open a small gap from the side of the yardage bar from the up wind side of the target.

At our training range I normaly set the yardage bar at the up wind side.

If -That is IF, I am not spazzz on the trigger the hits work out fine