Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you could pick the vortex or the Swarski off a prize table,which one would you pick?Blaster

If there were both of them, and you finished that high, you may already have a Swarovski. :roflol:

:sight: OR! Or? a better shotter than me with a Vortex.

Besides How offten does SwarovskE put something on a prize table ? :roflol:

I've not seen a Swarovski on a prize table. If there were one, I finish so low, I'd never know it.

I just got a Razor 1-6, I like what I've seen with it. Now to get it mounted and sighted in.

I got several request to compare the center dot to an Aimpoint, well I was a bit rushed to get ready for the BRM3G

this is my favorite photo of the day scope set at 1X the camera zoomed in just a bit tops of the trees are about 60 yards away

dotphotos10-2012008.jpg

camera moved back same shot dotphotos10-2012009.jpg

(3) 12 yard targets six feet apart the two in the back center are at 18 yards

Aimpoint high setting old battery but still normal aimpoint 2moa dot

dotphotos10-2012006.jpg

C-More

dotphotos10-2012005.jpg

Vortex 1-6 at 1X but the camera is zoomed in

dotphotos10-2012003.jpg

last one the camera focused on the back of the gun

dotphotos10-2012002.jpg

I love It!

I finally snagged one. Optics Planet finally had them in stock and had a 10% off sale going on. Ordered it this morning, got the shipped reply this afternoon. That's pretty good for them as I'm still waiting for a range finder from three weeks ago. Who makes the best throw lever for them?

I finally snagged one. Optics Planet finally had them in stock and had a 10% off sale going on. Ordered it this morning, got the shipped reply this afternoon. That's pretty good for them as I'm still waiting for a range finder from three weeks ago. Who makes the best throw lever for them?

3 Gun Stuff, MGM, and I don't know if Charlie Driesel is making them. I'm sorry if Charlies spelling is incorrect.

Hey fellas, new guy here. I'm actually looking at this scope for work/hunting/play and appreciate all the feedback available here! One thing I am concerned about (pretty much the only thing) is how attaching a flip open scope cap would affect the ocular lens adjustment? Better yet, does anyone run theirs with flip open lens covers and could tell me what sizes work? Thanks again!

So if you could pick the vortex or the Swarski off a prize table,which one would you pick?Blaster

If there were both of them, and you finished that high, you may already have a Swarovski. :roflol:

Swarovski was a sponsor at the 2012 Texas Multigun Nationals. I love vortex optics and I am glad their making this scope but the Swarovski is still top dog but at twice the cost. I do plan on getting this new Vortex for my back up rifle eventually however.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Does the ADM Mount come with the Glass?

I dont believe so.

I was able to mess with one today and compared it to a the z6i. I think for $1000 cheaper... the vortex wins hands down. The razor looks like a $2000 scope. It's rugged, the turrets have a great feel, the FOV is awesome, the eye box is forgiving, and the glass is SUPER clear.

I love vortex optics and I am glad their making this scope but the Swarovski is still top dog but at twice the cost.

Pat

Just curious, what objective data do you have that makes Swarovski Top Dog? Or is it just your subjective opinion?

I only ask since being in the optics industry for the past two years; I have been privy to some pretty nice test equipment that is used to objectively measure optical quality.

I love vortex optics and I am glad their making this scope but the Swarovski is still top dog but at twice the cost.

Pat

Just curious, what objective data do you have that makes Swarovski Top Dog? Or is it just your subjective opinion?

I only ask since being in the optics industry for the past two years; I have been privy to some pretty nice test equipment that is used to objectively measure optical quality.

Anything pat owns is the sh$t. He drank the cool-aid like a lot of others.

Tell you one thing, my ta-11h is going on the block. It's thing is sick.

Swarovski was a sponsor at the 2012 Texas Multigun Nationals. I love vortex optics and I am glad their making this scope but the Swarovski is still top dog but at twice the cost. I do plan on getting this new Vortex for my back up rifle eventually however.

Pat

Pat, dump the glass, get an M1A and shoot He Man Irons!!

Pat

Tell me another scope that gives you the same field of view, a true 1x to 6x of magnification, with a daylight bright reticle with a bullet drop and wind hold marks. All with the clearest glass I have ever seen. I realize you work for Nightforce and have a stake in this discussion. But frankly Nightforce is way behind on the power curve on the low power variable market. They don't have 1-6 and they don't have a daylight visible reticle. Yes I like Nightforce scopes and I own 2 of them but you guys need to come out with a more competative scope for this game. The Vortex scope does look good and I plan on getting one for my back up rifle as I said earlier.

Edited by Alaskapopo

Pat

Tell me another scope that gives you the same field of view, a true 1x to 6x of magnification, with a daylight bright reticle with a bullet drop. All with the clearest glass I have ever seen. I realize you work for Nightforce and have a stake in this discussion. But frankly Nightforce is way behind on the power curve on the low power variable market. They don't have 1-6 and they don't have a daylight visible reticle. Yes I like Nightforce scopes and I own 2 of them but you guys need to come out with a more competative scope for this game.

Outerlimits I was using the Circle dot Swarovski before they every became popular in three gun. I did a lot of research and chose it over the Short dot back them. I upgraded to the BRT version when it came out. Now most of the top dogs use it. Its not a matter of Kool aid. I have to ask what the heck is your problem with me? You seem to like to internet snipe me when ever you can with snide remarks and its getting old. I believe the rules to this forum that the moderators are supposed to be enforcing say not antagonistic tones. We are all adults here lets try acting like it.

This was never me trying to promote Nightforce. Not sure why you felt the need to bring that up? Just asking you how the Swarovski stacked up optically in an objective manner since it was Top Dog, as you mentioned?

I don't need a 1-6. I can still lay some serious smackdown with a 1-4 that does not even have daylight visible illumination. I still haven't figured out how it has been possible without such an illuminated reticle in a scope that is so far behind the curve. :rolleyes: Hmmmmmm.

To answer your question......Kahles has a far superior product than the Swarovski in multiple aspects to include a wider FOV and a daylight visible illuminated reticle. The Vortex measures out on test equipment on the high end as well. I've been priveleged to see how well many optics measure out. The Vortex results were very eye opening. The Swarovski, on the other hand showed me results that I was not expecting considering the money that they demand for them. For a 1-6, the Vortex got alot of things right and is going to be a strong contender moving forward, especially considering the price.

I will say, I ran a Swarovski since the day it came out. Literally 24 hours after looking through the one Jeff Cramblit had, I purchased one. Jeff was the very first to bring one in to the sport. And yes, it has great qualities for our sport. But as I mentioned, I have the ability to objectively measure the qualities present in riflescope optics.

In the past two years I have had a paradigm shift as my knowledge of the internal workings of rifle optics has grown.

Pat

Pat, dump the glass, get an M1A and shoot He Man Irons!!

No one up here shoots heavy metal. I would love to shoot my SCAR more. I shot it the other day for fun in open and took a beating on the rifle stages going against the 5.56 guys. I was just shoting it to for practice with my patrol gear and I have it set up with a Nightforce 2.5-10 and a Aimpoint R1 in a Larue off set mount. Irons are a challenge but its not for me.

Pat

Pat

Tell me another scope that gives you the same field of view, a true 1x to 6x of magnification, with a daylight bright reticle with a bullet drop. All with the clearest glass I have ever seen. I realize you work for Nightforce and have a stake in this discussion. But frankly Nightforce is way behind on the power curve on the low power variable market. They don't have 1-6 and they don't have a daylight visible reticle. Yes I like Nightforce scopes and I own 2 of them but you guys need to come out with a more competative scope for this game.

Outerlimits I was using the Circle dot Swarovski before they every became popular in three gun. I did a lot of research and chose it over the Short dot back them. I upgraded to the BRT version when it came out. Now most of the top dogs use it. Its not a matter of Kool aid. I have to ask what the heck is your problem with me? You seem to like to internet snipe me when ever you can with snide remarks and its getting old. I believe the rules to this forum that the moderators are supposed to be enforcing say not antagonistic tones. We are all adults here lets try acting like it.

This was never me trying to promote Nightforce. Not sure why you felt the need to bring that up? Just asking you how the Swarovski stacked up optically in an objective manner since it was Top Dog, as you mentioned?

I don't need a 1-6. I can still lay some serious smackdown with a 1-4 that does not even have daylight visible illumination. I still haven't figured out how it has been possible without such an illuminated reticle in a scope that is so far behind the curve. :rolleyes: Hmmmmmm.

To answer your question......Kahles has a far superior product than the Swarovski in multiple aspects to include a wider FOV and a daylight visible illuminated reticle. The Vortex measures out on test equipment on the high end as well. I've been priveleged to see how well many optics measure out. The Vortex results were very eye opening. The Swarovski, on the other hand showed me results that I was not expecting considering the money that they demand for them. For a 1-6, the Vortex got alot of things right and is going to be a strong contender moving forward, especially considering the price.

I will say, I ran a Swarovski since the day it came out. Literally 24 hours after looking through the one Jeff Cramblit had, I purchased one. Jeff was the very first to bring one in to the sport. And yes, it has great qualities for our sport. But as I mentioned, I have the ability to objectively measure the qualities present in riflescope optics.

In the past two years I have had a paradigm shift as my knowledge of the internal workings of rifle optics has grown.

My knowledge of the optics is from practical use and not from the technicle specs. I have not looked through a Kahles. The Swarovski was a hard investment for me to make when I bought it even at the LEO price it was expensive but when I got it I loved it. Its the best glass I have looked through and prior to that my Nightforce scopes had been the best. As for illumination I much prefer having a lit reticle then again I shot with red dot sights for a lot of years on my work guns. I find them faster to use. I find black reticles slower to pick up. How many of the top shooters are using a Kahls?

As for beating other shooters using a 1-4, you're a great shooter, we are not discussing who is the best shooter but rather which gear will make the shooters job easier. I will take every edge I can get.

Is this the Kahls scope you were talking about?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/327043/kahles-k16i-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-3-20-mil-adjustments-illuminated-sm1-reticle-matte

Because if it is the field of view listed is less than the Swarovski and this scope costs more as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/812255/swarovski-z6i-2nd-generation-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-3-20-mil-adjustments-illuminated-brt-i-reticle-matte

Edited by Alaskapopo

The Kahles k16i is rather new to the market. Having been debuted at SHOT 2012, their k16i just started finally delivering about 2 months ago to the domestic commercial market. I know Stefan Wiggins and Ryan Zamberlan are using them. I consider them top shooters as they have consistent finishes in the top 20 or better of the major matches, but not real sure why that matters?

I was just concerned as to the way you discounted the Vortex 1-6 by saying the Swarovski was Top Dog. Now I see it was just a subjective opinionated statement; not anything backed by any sort of objective data.

ETA since you added some additional info above: The Kahles has 134' FOV; the specs on Midway's page are incorrect. When you hold a Kahles k16i up side by side to a Swaro, its clear there is several feet more FOV at 100 yards. And yes it costs more, but you asked me to name another scope that outperformed the Swaro 1-6.

Isn't Kahles basically a Swaro with a different brand name and coating?

Kahles is owned by Swarovski (both Austrian made), but the optical prescription is different in the k16i; it does share the same diffractive graded illuminated reticle technology.