Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

obnoxiuos shooters

thebigdogg316

what do you do with an obnoxius shooter that is on your squad? i had shot a few matches with a guy that likes to run his mouth. it really gets annoying. i would have switched squads but i liked the other guys in the squad. he is guy that quits during a match because he is "bored"

You could ignore him. You could ask him to keep his mouth shut. Since you like the other squadmates, you could just live with it. You could ask him why he is such a jackass. You could kill him with kindness.

Frankly, not much. You are not going to fix him, and wasting too much effort on him detracts from your day.

Create a void in the universe, and allow him to drop into the void. When he speaks, listen to the wind. When he acts out, study the targets. He's accidently occupying the same range. You may have to intentionally not let that matter.

We have a shooter that's prone to BS - like everything that comes out of his mouth.

At practice 4 weeks ago my BS meter pinned and I lost it and told him that he's full of schlit. He has shown up since. Funny that. :D

I called the President of the club the next day to tell him that there will be a complaint about me (I'm a guest of the club), but nothing has been said. I also told the Prez that if I'm in earshot of his BS, I'll call him on it. My meter is still pinned.

How about realizing we are all different and come from all walks of life. Maybe he thinks your an ass. I laugh and joke around a lot, and I'm sure some people don't like that. I shoot for the competition and the friendship. There are lots of people I don't care for, but I make the best of it. Like the one guy said, pretend he's not there. Have fun.

It seems like the most obnoxius people at a match are the people that are there watching but not shooting themselves and know everything about shooting. Normally once they get called out a couple times they kind of start to get the point. If they dont not much you can do about it unless they are being ofensive.

Some folks show up at club matches to socialize and "hang out."

Some show up to confirm their training over the past weeks, and prep for a major match.

Your interest in socializing should not and my interest in shooting my best should not be allowed to interfere.

My experience has been that the social shooters are far more likely to disturb others.

No hate on the social shooters.............just my observations.

FY42385

If you are "That guy", I have no problem ignoring you. If I am "That Guy", tell me to STFU. If it were me, I deserve it but I am usually the quiet guy in the corner still trying to figure the whole game out after more than 10yrs playing.

All clubs have the obnoxious shooter somewhere. First USPSA club I was a member of had one guy that did a great deal for the sport and the club BUT, he was the most obnoxious SOB I had ever met in my life. I did all I could to never shoot or associate with him. I could have learned a great deal from him if only I could get past his BS. I could not. I look at it as a weakness in my personality and, unfortunately, he is now spread over the 100 yard bay and I will never learn what he had to teach.

Do I miss his BS, NO WAY............. But I could have tried a little harder to put up with it.

Some folks show up at club matches to socialize and "hang out."

Some show up to confirm their training over the past weeks, and prep for a major match.

Your interest in socializing should not and my interest in shooting my best should not be allowed to interfere.

My experience has been that the social shooters are far more likely to disturb others.

No hate on the social shooters.............just my observations.

FY42385

Works both ways, often times you run into those preping for a major match who feel the range and the local match is there just for them.

At work I try to avoid them, but you can't totally, so sometimes I'll correct them.

But I never waste my time arguing, might as well talk to the wall.

At a Match, I'll NOT squad with one if I can keep from it.

There's not enough time to suffer fools.

If others want to put up with it, find others to shoot with.

But with saying all that, if the guy works good I can tolerate about any amount of BS, but then I do say "what did you say" a lot.

At work I try to avoid them, but you can't totally, so sometimes I'll correct them.

But I never waste my time arguing, might as well talk to the wall.

At a Match, I'll NOT squad with one if I can keep from it.

There's not enough time to suffer fools.

If others want to put up with it, find others to shoot with.

But with saying all that, if the guy works good I can tolerate about any amount of BS, but then I do say "what did you say" a lot.

When we go to other matches we don't have to work we typically bring a whole squad with us lol. My group works well together and works hard at resetting, if you don't you get told. Its also fun good because a lot of us ARE prepping for the next major. We still socialize but we are typically there for the competition.

Find a group that you fit in well with and shoot with them. Let the the like minds fix themselves!

The lexington squad has been known to catch squads on a regular basis even with more shooters and a full 32 round COF buffer stage. It does make for a long day when you burn through a buffer stage and still wait for 45 min on a squad to finish while a good half of them are sitting there in the shade.

Edited by EkuJustice

Socialize, BS, whatever, but Set and Tape. Read the WSB, limit your walk through to 5 min. Hey we are all hear to have fun. If you aren't having fun, maybe you need a rest. There are only a very few people in the world that make a living at this. There are a few people out here that can take the fun out of a match. Remember at most club matches a small group showed up 2-3 hours before you and have been busting ass to put on the match. Most of them will be there a couple extra hours to put it all away even with the squads tearing down their last stage. If you show up early do one of two things, help or stay out of the pits. I know that there is little that pisses me off more than having people trying to game out a stage while we are still putting it together.

I either ignore them or I turn to them and ask them how they will shoot the stage or how I should probably shoot the stage and bug them for advise. I play a lot and cross the line while playing often with my humor. If I can not offend someone in some way they are a saint.

I have not experienced it in a while though, I guess I would actually have to shoot to see who the new distractions are.

Jim, am I an obnoxious shooter??????

The person may simply not know that their behavior is offensive. I would take him/her aside and have a private conversation. Try to convey how you feel using "I" statements and avoid making the offender feel embarrassed. People are more rational than we give them credit for.

When I was younger and in this sport, I had a few conversations like that leveled against me, and it forced me to take a serious look at how I want to present myself on the range. Those conversations made me a better shooter.

^ I am painfully ADHD but am able to remain reserved at work...but would let it all hang out on the range. Now I channel that energy into the shooting and less so in the banter and chatting that occurs before and after a stage.

We tend to be more sensitive to people with guns that misbehave because it reflects badly on all gun owners. All of us end up dealing with the fallout.

They might be clueless: The guy who posted about calling BS on someone may have done a favor to that person and to others. Sometimes a little hint is all that's needed. I've been guilty of being inconsiderate of others and received some some "hints" in the past. I'm a better person for it.

Other people getting on my nerves: I get people to stop agitating me by focusing on out-shooting them. I like the competition and it gets my mind off of their BS. I figure if I can't shoot well because of someone's yammering how can I do well in a major at a foreign range?

Good Luck

DNH

The person may simply not know that their behavior is offensive. I would take him/her aside and have a private conversation. Try to convey how you feel using "I" statements and avoid making the offender feel embarrassed. People are more rational than we give them credit for.

When I was younger and in this sport, I had a few conversations like that leveled against me, and it forced me to take a serious look at how I want to present myself on the range. Those conversations made me a better shooter.

Does "I feel your behavior makes me want to punch you in the face" count? :lol:

We tend to be more sensitive to people with guns that misbehave because it reflects badly on all gun owners. All of us end up dealing with the fallout.

They might be clueless: The guy who posted about calling BS on someone may have done a favor to that person and to others. Sometimes a little hint is all that's needed. I've been guilty of being inconsiderate of others and received some some "hints" in the past. I'm a better person for it.

Other people getting on my nerves: I get people to stop agitating me by focusing on out-shooting them. I like the competition and it gets my mind off of their BS. I figure if I can't shoot well because of someone's yammering how can I do well in a major at a foreign range?

Good Luck

DNH

Does "I feel your behavior makes me want to punch you in the face" count? :lol:

DNH:

that was me that called BS. There was a coversation yesterday evening, at the range during an IDPA practice, and everyone who was in attendance at the incident, was happy that he was called.

I think that you be right on the fallout reflecting on gun owners.

On the second point, I can ignore those that irritate my tits.

Homie:

Sometimes that all it takes. The speaking of that, that is.