Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

obnoxiuos shooters

thebigdogg316

As much as I tend to agree about the sentiments about obnoxious shooters, I tend to give them space to let them find their niche. Once they find it, they are actually very effective and have amazingly positive contributions to the group.

I've seen this in the past where one shooter was just plain old hard to be around with because of the constant talk and unsolicited opinions about almost any subject under the sun. One day we were short staffed with experienced folks and had a ton of new inexperienced people. We ended asking him to play range officer/safety officer at one of the shooting stations. It turned out to be the best thing that we'd ever done because somehow he was amazingly patient with newbies and teaching them good gun handling techniques.

That was years back and I'd forgotten about until a recent match. Another shooter noticed that his bad behavior was actually dragging the rest of the squad down. I and another RO were trying to keep things moving, but the day was getting long. As more and more delays piled up, even this shooter got tired of the slow pace we were going at. Talk about a 180 turnaround in the squad when he actually started using his presence to "motivate" us to get a move on with getting stages reset and ready for the next shooter. He was still acting like himself, except for a touch more humor, but it was the catalyst that we needed. Wow! I'll shoot with him any day now. I just may need to make sure that I remember to prod him in the right direction as needed.

The tough part, though, is finding that right niche for obnoxious shooters.

There is nothing wrong with squading yourself away from someone if it will make your day more enjoyable, on the flip side of that coin everyone pays the same entry fee and thus is entitled to do there own thing when the buzzer goes beep. Anything beyond that is just good or bad manners and BS (dont take the BS personally and dont let those guys under your skin, they get off on getting a rise from people).

There are only a couple shooters here in the MN scene who I squad myself away from. Most of that comes from my rookie season of shoooting and the way they treated me as a noobie (I finally explained to the one guy "I may be young and I may be a new shooter but it doesnt mean I am unsafe or dont understand wtf is going on") he probably thought he was coaching or being helpful and I really interpreted it as him talking down to me because of my age. We havent had a cross word since and I still squad myself away from him when possible because he tends to be the guy demanding a re-shoot or throwing a fit about something insignificant. It tends to slow a squad down and I dont care for that.

Anyone who shoots with me will tell you I like to bust balls and dish out just as much BS as I am given. Its part of taking off the competitive edge and its just part of my personality. I work construction and on a jobsite no one gives a damn about hurting someones feelings or offending someone, I was raised in the trades and its just how my world works.

If someone is sitting in the shade and not working I am not afraid to hand a string of pasters to someone and tell them to lend a hand. If someone wants to be a show up 15minutes late and leave as soon as THEY are done shooting kinda guy I usually pick up on this after the first time I shoot with them and I then try to work them like a rented mule in the future. If they wont set up or tear down you can be damn well sure I will have them pasting and setting steel at every opportunity.

Life's too short to squad w. a**holes, except me and my buddies... :roflol:

I shoot better on squads where I don't know anyone, or don't really want to know anyone, because I get in my bubble, and stay there... It might be easier if we ever figured out how to squad those who's enjoyment of shooting is outcome-based (BTDT, w. other things, and gotten past it), and those of us who care about it, but are also out enjoying the sunshine and the company of fellow idiots.

And, then, a different squad, on another range, shooting a different sport, for the pure jackasses, cheaters, etc.