Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911in 10mm?

trp

What's everyone's thoughts on a 1911 in 10mm I'm starting to get interested in the idea of one, what are the pros and cons? Anybody that own one have pics and or info on there experience with it?

Will it be used for something specific? (uspsa, idpa, PPC, carry gun, duty gun, etc, etc)

I'll list the cons first.

Con:

Brass availability

Brass cost

If you need to use factory ammo in a pinch, its a pretty recoil heavy round (hence why they came out with the 40 S&W.....)

Pros:

Safe to make major

Easy to find your brass since you'll be the only one shooting 10mm

In the end it depends on what use you have for it.

So I was at the club one day and it was pretty crowded on the pistol range. The gentleman next to me had with him his 10mm Delta, his 30yr old 45acp Combat Commander and 3 grandchildren. Things got very busy, with lots of people talking and shooting and kids running around behind us, and it was getting difficult to concentrate. I heard something big go off and looked to my left to see the man standing there with a stunned look on his face. It took us about 10 min to get the action open on his 45 Commander, to find a 10mm caseing had fire formed to a 45 chamber, complete with rifleing at the tip of the case. Surprisingly the chamber held, but the muzzle expanded enough to not go through the bushing any more. Barrel's toast and the guys shorts too.

I just built me one that is BEAUTIFUL. 6", tri-top ionbond top and hardchrome lower with carbon fiber grips. Will post pictures soon. 165jhp@ 1460 and 200jhp @1300.

Mr. Hill you tease! Pics ASAP! :bow:

I have a Dan Wesson Pointman 7 in 10mm, it is a awesome gun. It is one of the most accurate pistols I own. I also have 3 Smith and Wesson 610's, a Smith & Wesson 1086, and a Witness Elite Match. They are all great shooters. 10's are a lot of fun.

I think the 10mm cartridge is a great one for someone who likes an auto pistol and wants one to carry for a combination small & medium game hunting/self defense pistol on jaunts into the desert or forest.

I currently carry a Glock G20SF for that duty, but since all the other pistols I shoot with any frequency these days are 1911/2011 style, I am looking at 10mm options. There are a few out there, and most are pretty pricey. The addition of a Leupold DeltaPoint or Trijicon RMR red dot sight (sunk into a machined slide) adds even more fun to the thought of such a pistol!

My dad has an original Colt Delta Elite that I got to shoot a few times and then I bought a Kimber Elipse 1911 in 10mm from a friend of mine when it came available. It's a fun gun... if you reload. Factory ammo is super expensive and I don't see that getting any better. My dad used to get decent priced gunshow reloads but the guy who made them went out of business.

If you load for it, you can make it a soft shooter with loads the mimic 40 S&W or load it up hot. My favorite load is with Blue Dot. It turns the gun into a cannon/flamethrower.

If you shoot it in competition, you still might want to mark your cases. They're longer than 40s, but still hard to spot if the brass piles get thick. And my Kimber really flings the brass, like 20 feet.

Me and a friend of mine each shot 10mm pistols it in a match a while back. Me with the Kimber, him with his Glock 20. I shot Federal brass and I think I only lost 15 pieces. My friend used new Starline, but his gun threw the brass weird and I think we lost quite a few more. Here's a youtube video of the fireball fun.

Load Development

USPSA Match

Edited by MustangGreg66

I've had two, a colt delta eliete and then one custom made for me with a 40 slide. It's a pretty rough round.

Are you doing this to carry, or for hunting? As far as I'm concerned I think the Glock20 is your best bet - but dig custom 1911's so dont let me talk you out of one; I just wouldnt do it again.

If it were me, I'd do a Clark .460 rowland and have two bbl's fited to it, one for .45 for normal play, and then the .460 for showing off :)

Once you get the 10mm buck, your.... Well gonna have fun and spend money ;)

My first 10mm I picked up about 10 years ago for $350 was a IAI Javelina 7" Longslide. After that it was all down hill. My most recent, and long awaited purchase was a Glock 20SF 10mm. Buffalo bore and Double Tap both make full power factory ammo, everywhere from 135 to 200 grain with no joke of a punch.

Google Vic Tibbets Delta Elite... You'll start saving up for one ;)

I think if I was gonna start from base, I'd find a Glock frame, preferably one of the rare RTF-2 SF 21 frames, and slap a 6" slide on it ;)

Oh and don't forget once you go 10mm, you also have to take its cousin, the 9x25 dillon. Its like doing a 357 sig barrel swap in the 40... But for the 10 ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a Delta Elite in 1990. Still have it. Used to shoot it a lot.

My SVI limited gun was originally a 10mm. After the PF dropped, I had a .40 barrel fitted to it.

I would use 10mm to shoot competition with due to brass cost/availability, and problems with .40 cases getting into your supply of 10mm cases and causing problems when reloading.

If you hot load 10mm, you need to use the appropriate springs, but you will still beat up the gun if it's a 1911/2011.

I was in the original group that spec'd out the Dan Wesson Razorback and I own one of the limited run ones. I really like it and have shot matches, hunted and backpacked with it. With the right springs and the tougher parts, no worries. I also have a .40 Super 1911 which adds about 200 fps on the 10mm, now that might be over the top for the 1911.

I'm not sure I understand why shooting a 10mm in a .45 would swell the barrel, especially near the muzzle end which is what goes through the bushing. Reason I don't quite grasp it is that the bullet is only .400 in a .452 barrel. This gap around the bullet should drop the pressure drastically. Also, I've inadvertantly fired a .40 S&W in a .45 and it didn't do anything except swell the case even worse than if it had been fired in a Glock.

Not sure how well the 1911 pattern holds up in 10mm but my only experience with those was early on with the first Colts. They are probably much better now.

That said, my woods-walkabout beltgun is a plain old Glock 20. Easy to shoot accurately and fast (better than a large revolver, at least) and a full load is sixteen rounds without reloading. It won't freeze to your hand after Halloween or burn a blister on you in the Summer and you can readily swap out 40 S&W, 357 SIG and even 9x25 Dillon barrels. It'd be hard to imagine a more useful pistol for my region. What's not to like?

Mark

Not sure how well the 1911 pattern holds up in 10mm but my only experience with those was early on with the first Colts. They are probably much better now.

That said, my woods-walkabout beltgun is a plain old Glock 20. Easy to shoot accurately and fast (better than a large revolver, at least) and a full load is sixteen rounds without reloading. It won't freeze to your hand after Halloween or burn a blister on you in the Summer and you can readily swap out 40 S&W, 357 SIG and even 9x25 Dillon barrels. It'd be hard to imagine a more useful pistol for my region. What's not to like?

Mark

The only thing the 1911 provides is a bit more accuracy. My Razorback shoots 3" rested groups at 50 yards, the G20 is about 7". MY RZ-10 has about 1600 total rounds on it and it is still vault solid.

I have a STI Perfect 10 chromed and worked over by Tripp - Its pure love. Load it up, load it down. It does, however, semd its brass a couple of time zones away. I've got 4 10mms, 1 Glock,2 S&W revolvers and the STI - great caliber.

I have a boatlaod of 10's, you can not have just one. Two Bren tens, Glock 20, S&W 1076, and a Kimber Target II , and a Delta. I got rid of the Glock it was just to big for my hands. The Kimber is the most accurate pistol I own ( I have a couple of high priced 1911 that don't shoot as well). Handloads with cast bullets is unreal, but like everyone else has said I can not keep the brass in the same zip code.