Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Carbon Fiber Handguards

loneranger04

I made some mistakes last year while setting up my AR for 3G and probably the worst mistake I made was using a quad rail handguard instead of a smaller diameter tube however I can remedy this by buying a new, lighter handguard. My rifle is pretty heavy since I used a MK 12 barrel and I would like to cut down on that weight some with a carbon fiber handguard. What I have is a YHM lightweight rifle length handguard and I have a rifle length gas system. My YHM only weighs 13oz so going with a solid aluminum handguard wouldn't cut any weight down. What carbon fiber handguards do you all use and what do you like about them and hate about them. Do any of you have trouble with the solid ones getting too hot? Would you go with the rifle length or the extended length? Thanks.

The ap has 2 collars one that goes behind the milspec barrel nut, and one in front. Screws are used to connect the 2 and sandwich the barrel nut between them. Then the float tube slides onto that assembly and is secured to that assembly with screws that go through the float tube and thread into the collar/barrel nut assembly.

I have ran a 15" PRI for a long time and really liked it. This spring I saw what I thought was the best hand guard ever, of course unavailable.Well lo and behold I won one at the Laure match this spring. Look at the 14" one at the bottom of this link http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=17 Flat bottom and sides holes for quick detach sling a well designed handgun and just as light as my PRI. It's the one I'll be using on all my rifles.

Dusty

I have ran a 15" PRI for a long time and really liked it. This spring I saw what I thought was the best hand guard ever, of course unavailable.Well lo and behold I won one at the Laure match this spring. Look at the 14" one at the bottom of this link http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=17 Flat bottom and sides holes for quick detach sling a well designed handgun and just as light as my PRI. It's the one I'll be using on all my rifles.

Dusty

I like the Seekins design, I just wish it was a little longer. I'm tall and have pretty long arms and even my JP 15" feels a little short sometimes. My carbon fiber Firebird 15"(16" OAL) is perfect.

The PRI unit is not as streamlined as the others, but the carbon fiber tube is attached to that large outer nut and keeps rotational alignment with location pins into the barrel nut. It's one of few designs which not only improves the weight of the rifle but also stregthens the barrel nut/ upper receiver/ hand guard joint. From a design standpoint all the stress is still being applied to the upper receiver, in the same place, but in terms of strength and rigitity the PRI is the next best thing to a monolithic upper or the OBR flange style. Fit and finish are outstanding with some nice little touches like an aluminum collar at the muzzle end of the tube to protect the fibers. It's expensive to be sure, but after getting one and seeing how it's put together, I think it's worth the extra scratch.