Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you shoot IDPA if 5" revolvers were allowed

COF

You can't compare barrel lengths between semis and revolvers, unless you measure from the breach face to the muzzle--including the cylinder in the measurement. So a 5" revolver has a longer barrel length than a 6" 1911.

Not answering the poll, because my 625 is a 4", and I rarely shoot IDPA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I already shoot IDPA with 4.2" Ruger in SSR. I wouldn't care if ESR allowed 5" revos. They should be held to the same concealed rules as everything else, or require uniformed duty holsters (not exposed game holsters). I wouldn't buy one to shoot IDPA.

Sorry, guys - my first attempt to set up a poll and I took Statistics over 20 years ago. The intent was to ask if you weren't already shooting IDPA, or if you were shooting SSR, would you shoot ESR if they allowed your 5" 625. Could have made it in to several questions but just wanted to keep it simple.

I find it hard to accept that they have the 4" max barrel limit for revolvers, but yet the bottom feeders can still go 5"...I say if the bottom feeders can still go with a 5" then so can the revolvers.

Except that barrel length is not measured the same way with autos as it is revolvers. A 4" revolver with the barrel measured like an automatic has a "barrel" over 5" long, since the cylinder length and gap would have to be included for it to be comparable.

[Thread Drift] Didn't 5" revolvers used to be allowed in IDPA at some point? If so, why were they made "illegal"? [/Thread Drift]

Not to my knowledge, but when I was shooting IDPA, it was only about 7 years ago. Maybe it was different in the beginning.

I actually don't mind shooting IDPA to get some trigger time, but I do not enjoy it anywhere near as much as steel or USPSA.

In the beginning, 5 inch revolvers were allowed. Then a rulebook change happened and it was reduced to the current status.

Some cut their revolvers down, some got IDPA legal revolvers, some stopped shooting.....but the basic result was (IMO) just about the same amount of people shot revolvers "back in the day" as they do now....generally as a percentage.

Shooting revolvers is more about the mental mindset than the length of the shooter's equipment. <G>

Garry N

At first I was offended by IDPA's mandate that revolvers have a 4" or shorter barrel. Then I put 4" model 19 next to a 5" 1911. Nevermind the 4" 625 I have setup for ESR, my "tiny" model 19 is a bit bigger than a full size 1911. The 5" revo's really are too big IMHO.

-ld

post-1007-0-40851500-1342494137_thumb.jp

I really only started shooting revolver to make 4 gun master, they added a new division and did it again to make 5 gun ma. So few revo shooters makes entering a sanctioned match like paying $70 for a piece of wood.

I say if you want more shooters allow 6" revos as there are more of them out there than 5" and even at 4" they can't fit in the box that is supposed to keep guns "carry size".

• 2 months later...

4 inch barrels are prohibited in Canada therefore the US IDPA has a special clause for Canadian competitors to visit and compete with our longer barrels. Ruger makes its Revolvers just a bit over 4 inches and therefore are sold in Canada. Does that mean American owners of Ruger DA revolvers cannot compete because of the 4 inch rule? The more the merrier I say.

This is not true. The Canadian Exemption is for competitions in Canada, only. I wrote the exemption and got it approved by HQ.

To addrss the question at hand our exemption really allows us to have a revolver division up here due to our retarde gun laws. Participation in SSR/ESR is really very small but those that do use their revolvers do it with entusiasm.

I should add the 5" revolvers are very popular for those of us who have carry permits for "Wilderness Carry". Up where I live bears are more of a threat than humans.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

I have been shooting 1 psuedo idpa match some with my 5" 610 to get in trigger time and recently went to a more offical match that was thankfully flexible for first timers and let me shoot it there. I do enjoy uspsa more but might shoot more idpa if that gun were legal. I do carry it concealed some times mostly during hunting season like the wilderness carry mentioned above.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area with an ICORE match held each month. I purchased a 627 for ICORE Limited and I shoot this in USPSA production as well. If you want more revolver shooters, the rules should be changed to accept more revolvers. 6-shot guns only? 4" barrels only? No thanks, there's too many other games where my equipment is welcome.

-Pat Jones

Longmont Colorado