Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you shoot IDPA if 5" revolvers were allowed

COF

There is a discussion on the IDPA forum about increasing revolver participation. There are probably a dozen different areas to look at for doing this but this poll is simply looking at the 5" revolver and whether this would increase participation.

Jerry

Edited by COF

Hello: Since I have a 5" 625 I would shoot ESR. Shooting ESR with a 646 major loads is not much fun. I shoot SSR with my model 66 and 115PF loads it is like shooting a 22 :cheers: I think IDPA should allow 5" revolvers for ESR since there are alot of them out there shooting gun games already. Thanks, Eric

I think you may get a guy hear or there at a local match that will try it for a match but I don't think you will up the overall number of revolver shooters. look at USPSA revolver participation where most any revolver is legal with major or minor loads, moon cliped or not and see how small the turnout is.

Mike

4 inch barrels are prohibited in Canada therefore the US IDPA has a special clause for Canadian competitors to visit and compete with our longer barrels. Ruger makes its Revolvers just a bit over 4 inches and therefore are sold in Canada. Does that mean American owners of Ruger DA revolvers cannot compete because of the 4 inch rule? The more the merrier I say.

4 inch barrels are prohibited in Canada therefore the US IDPA has a special clause for Canadian competitors to visit and compete with our longer barrels. Ruger makes its Revolvers just a bit over 4 inches and therefore are sold in Canada. Does that mean American owners of Ruger DA revolvers cannot compete because of the 4 inch rule? The more the merrier I say.

6. Stock Service Revolver Division (SSR)

Handguns permitted for use in this division must be:

A. Any revolver of .38 Caliber (.357” or larger) or larger that

utilizes ammunition with a rimmed case and is not reloaded

with a full moon clip.

B. Barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the front of

the cylinder).

C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 42 oz.

D. Be loaded to the division capacity of six (6) rounds in the

cylinder. Seven (7) and eight (8) shot revolvers are permitted,

but may only load six (6) rounds.

It's 4.2" maximum length.

IDPA is not for me. If they let me use my open gun and do away with all the ridiculous reloading and cover rules, maybe I would.

this poll is simply looking at the 5" revolver and whether this would increase participation.

Please stick to discussion of this topic for the poll.

Thanks

The local IDPA club lets me shoot even with a 5" barrel. But I only do so when there is no USPSA match and want the trigger time. The club gets the additional fee and I get trigger time. I figure Dirty Harry carried a concealled 6" Model 29 so the whole "5 inch guns are not practically concealable" thought process doesn't fly.

I'll stick to my 4" mountain gun that I run in ESR. IDPA really doesn't have any distance type shooting to want more sight radius. as far as allowing a 5" gun to be shoot in a sanctioned match, they should allow it and see how many more shooters they could get to come out and play. and if they actually do see the real life light, they should allow us to run the 7 and 8 shot snubbies that many people who do carry every day, do actually carry.

I don't know how I can answer this poll. I already shoot my 4" Model 66 in IDPA. If they allowed 5" revolvers, then I could use my 5" 625. If they don't, I'll simply buy a 4" 625 when I decide to shoot ESR.

While I was bummed when they changed from 5" to 4", I certainly understand the reasoning -- my 5" 625 is huge.

6. Stock Service Revolver Division (SSR)

Handguns permitted for use in this division must be:

A. Any revolver of .38 Caliber (.357” or larger) or larger that

utilizes ammunition with a rimmed case and is not reloaded

with a full moon clip.

B. Barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the front of

the cylinder).

C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 42 oz.

D. Be loaded to the division capacity of six (6) rounds in the

cylinder. Seven (7) and eight (8) shot revolvers are permitted,

but may only load six (6) rounds.

It's 4.2" maximum length.

Yes thank you, I stand corrected

Around here the problem is that all IDPA matches are held on the same day as USPSA matches. Many people such as myself (who enjoys shooting both disciplines) typically choose to go to a USPSA match because the round count is higher so I am not certain that simply allowing the use of a longer barrel will be enough to attract more shooters to IDPA.

How many of the yes votes all ready shoot IDPA? Probably should have asked them to not vote.

FWIW I have a hard time seeing how drawing a fraction of USPSA shooters, who themselves are a tiny, tiny fraction of the gun owning population, would make that much of a difference in IDPA-revolver population.

Even those that would come over all ready have preference for USPSA. Every bit helps, but not much in this case.

Of course, we're only talking about revising a bbl length rule which I have no feelings on anyway. As for the founding principals a 5" N-frame is a large gun. The 4" L-frame is bigger than a full-sized 1911; the 5" N is a monster and that's looking at my tapered bbl profile 5" N-frame. The full lug is just that much bigger, even if just a little.

IDPA is not for me. If they let me use my open gun and do away with all the ridiculous reloading and cover rules, maybe I would.

I could not agree more ! Preach on Brother !

I'll stick to my 4" mountain gun that I run in ESR. IDPA really doesn't have any distance type shooting to want more sight radius.

This too.

I have only shot a handful of IDPA matches before I had enough but I do not see where anything over 4" in any format is much of an advantage.

My IDPA club has enough revolver shooters that the change from 5 to 4.2 inches means they don't want to or can't participate anymore since they don't own a short barreled revolver and certainly don't want to cut theirs down just to shoot IDPA.

As a 625 shooter, I still don't get the logic of allowing 5 inch barrels in semis and prohibiting them in revolvers (as opposed to a 4 inch). I don't think the extra length makes that big of a difference to justify cutting out a group of shooters who have USPSA-legal and previously IDPA-legal revolvers before the rules changed on them.

Edited by WillC

We have an exemption in Canada to allow 5 and 6 inch barrels, but we cannot compete in the US with them.

Ruger and S&W have 4.2" revolvers.

International competitors cannot bring their 4" or less firearms into Canada as they are a prohibited firearm, but they can bring in their 4.2" or greater firearms.

As a 625 shooter, I still don't get the logic of allowing 5 inch barrels in semis and prohibiting them in revolvers (as opposed to a 4 inch). I don't think the extra length makes that big of a difference to justify cutting out a group of shooters who have USPSA-legal and previously IDPA-legal revolvers before the rules changed on them.

The rationalization is that a gun legal for IDPA should be something that you can carry concealed. I can, and do, carry my 5" 1911 concealed. I can, and do, carry my 4" K-frames concealed. There is no way in heck I could carry my 5" 625 concealed -- it is just a much larger gun than a fullsize 1911.

The goal of the rules change wasn't to cut out some shooters or to reduce their advantage. The goal was to be consistent with the intent of IDPA, and 5" N-frames simply aren't consistent with carrying concealed.