Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major New or Used?

thebridge

what do you use?? new or "once" fired brass for 9 major?

I have been using only new brass AND once from the same gun for major loads. With thousands of once or more fired brass it would be nice to use these if its "safe". I have noticed that in the beginning I used some glocked brass and I could see where the bulge stress had been.

Here are the details... glock 22 40/9mm kkm, 8.1hs6/124=1350ish.

I'm not asking what you think about MY load. I want to know what brass you use and if you shoot it from a glock, even better.

I shoot a factory STI Trubor in 9mm major at about the same load although I get away with 7.8 grains of HS6 to get to 1340 range

Now to the question. Yes I reuse brass and prefer WCC once fired for my major loads then any range pickups are inspected and put in the standard 9mm pile.

So in short. Once fired WCC for major

Inspected range pickups for standard 9mm.

most 9major shooters i know opted 9mm instead of 38super due to abundance of once fired brass. If i were to buy brass to load i would've picked 38super.

+1. I reuse brass until it disappears or busts.

My load is 7 gr WAC, 124 gr MG JHP, 1.16".

I use once fired Speer for my 9 major loads. When I practice I put out a tarp to catch my brass when possible. I will load that brass to major a second time and then shoot it and let it lay at local matches. I do not reload any brass picked up at matches. I know shooters who have loaded the same brass in 9 major 3 to 5 times with no troubles. I won't take that chance.

Once fired. Use them anywhere from 2-5 times in practice, then shoot them in a match.

I usually try to use once fired at least once in practice before shooting it them in a match. If it goes bang in your pistol once, it'll most likely go bang again.

Thanks guys!! I have been using the brass that I bought new over again. Back in the beginning the dude at kkm said never use anything but new, he was covering his *** I'm sure.

What about Glocked brass? You can see the primer strike and see the bulge from factory barrels. How you all feel about this? Even with the kkm I can still find the worked side after it sees major loads.

No worries about flock brass

All my range pickups get run through the casepro 100 to roll size them which takes all that out of them before sizing.

For the WCC once fired stuff I run it through the press to size and swage to reduce vibration in the loading step.

Thanks guys!! I have been using the brass that I bought new over again. Back in the beginning the dude at kkm said never use anything but new, he was covering his *** I'm sure.

What about Glocked brass? You can see the primer strike and see the bulge from factory barrels. How you all feel about this? Even with the kkm I can still find the worked side after it sees major loads.

I use Lee decap/resize and it heals the bulge fine. I used to use Lee U Die for extra. Its on how you set up your dies on your toolhead that will make the difference.

My caution in reloading cases multiple times to major 9 comes from my gunsmith. My personal experience comes from my time shooting an STI Trubor. After shooting the Speer brass as major 9 twice, on the third loading the primer pockets were noticeably looser. My press did not like CCI sr primers, wouldn't seat them flush or below. I switched from Winchester to CCI for the third loading to major and they would seat fine. This also helped me keep track of what was what. If you are getting multiple loadings, more power to you. Loading twice to major and letting it lay works for me.

Thanks again for the time you all took to answer my question. After reading all of this I must ask where are you getting "once" fired brass? How do you know? Is it military range brass?

You have to get it from a reliable source or trust the person who tells you it is once fired. Some people sell it who work at an indoor range where you must buy ammo from them so they are certain it is once fired. Some LEO sell it because they also know everything fired on the range is new ammo.

I think S&B brass is hard to seat the primer. They are tight whic is good but can result in a high primer once in a while.

They also sell steel cases that are a dead ringer for brass cases.