Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What held you back from buying a Dillon press earlier?

With me, I was suspicious of the accuracy of the powder measure being consistent. Then someone told me about the thousands of pistol shooters who shoot thousands of rounds every year without any blowups. That did it for me. Now I wish I would have bought a 650 instead of a 550. Dillons are really built for the long haul.

I got my 650 as my first reloading press. I asked a few local shooters who loaded with different presses (not dillon) and they told me that if they go buy another one they'd go with Dillon. So i did. No BS warranty, can't go wrong with that. Now that being said, I still can't justify if upgrading to 1050 is good for me :devil: spent my 1050 budget for primers before they are gone, now saving up again and lets see how it goes.

Personally, nothing held me from buying Dillon. For the 650 there is less chance to do a double than 550. I maybe wrong, but if you aren't paying attention things can happen.

I waited because I didn't shoot USPSA or any other high round count matches and didn't need the production rate. I loaded everything on a Lee single stage, which I still have, but do match bulk loadings on my 550.

Start up Cost...When I started out, I did not want to spent the money. I purchased a cheaper brand. Now that I know this is sport that enjoy, I wish I would have made the investment.

If I could start over, I would have made the investment early on and save a lot of head aches with the cheaper loader. I have worked out the issues with the cheaper loader, but I am looking to upgrade in the future.

I didn't think I needed it. Ran a single stage for about a year till I got a 650, then 8 months later upgraded to a 1050. Wish I would have just purchased the 1050 from the get go.

Anytime anyone is looking at a press to get started in reloading, my advice is almost always 1050 or 650, depending on how many calibers you want to load and how much you shoot.

MANY people with they would have gotten a better press, almost NOBODY wishes they would have gotten a lesser press. If there is the faintest thought in your mind about a 1050, get it. If you hate it, you'll have no issues selling it or trading down for a 650/550.

I tried to cut costs by buying a Hornady LNL. Big mistake. I sold it and bought my XL650 and nevr looked back.

Yes the Dillons are expensive but their customer service and no BS warranty are the envy of not on the shooting industry but most others too.

For me it was unpredictable availability of primers, powder and bullets.

I was interested in getting started with reloading about 3 years ago - at the same time these components became scarce.

I bought my 550 last December, and wish that I hadn't waited so long...

Tom

Using a 550 and 650 without a case feeder. I was so glad to return to my Hornady. Told each friend to look into a case feeder ASAP.

Then, I got an RF1050. My son got my Hornady and I got a couple more 1050s. Still see no need for a case feeder on the Hornady and the 1050s quickly taught me that case feeders have their own problems and can be a real PITA.

It was easy for me I looked for about 4 months I knew it was between rcbs and dillon, I knew I was going to change calibers often to keep up with what I shoot. So rcbs was out then I found a great deal on a package 550b and the rest is up in smoke.

Years back I didn't shoot that much. I'd burn a box and go home. Then, my FIL sold his airplane and wanted to start shooting. He likes to be able to burn all the ammo he wants on a given day. We went in halves on the first SDB and it worked great as we only shot .45 ACP and .45 LC. Then we went to shooting a lot of 9mm and my wife bought me a second SDB in 9mm and the rest is history. Simple need drove my timing to start reloading.

My 650 was my 4th press. The ones before it I personally feel were my learning phase. Worked my way up to the price and speed.

Looking back, I probably should have just done it right and bought the 650 as my second press... Heck maybe even first.

Considering my third was a Lee Loadmaster, I think it was more convenience and consistancy moving to the Dillon.

Hello: I was lucky since at the first club I shot with one guy has a 550, 650 and a 1050(thanks Don). I went there to reload some ammo to try the different presses out. Once you load on a 1050 you don't want anything else because of the primer setup. I then bought a used Square Deal B and ended up having 5 of those and really like them. I then bought a friends 550 since he upgraded to a 650. I sold off all the SDB's and found a used RL1050. I then found 2 more RL 1050's and sold the original RL1050 to a soldier who is a 3 gunner. I then sold the 550 to a guy getting into reloading and he loves it. Now I would like to find another 1050. I hate buying stuff twice so I just save up some money and buy the best out there. I have been very happy with Dillon stuff and tell others to buy their loaders. So I guess I was one of the lucky ones who was not held back then :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Just like others said - money.

But when I finally bought that 550, I was like--- " man I'm an idiot, I should have bought this years ago! "

Then 20 years later I bought my first 1050, and it was like---" man I'm an idiot, I should have bought this 20 years ago instead of the 550 ! "

Like Kalaur said above, no one wishes that they bought a lesser press.

It's like buying a gun safe, buy the next size up and even if it really hurts the pocket book, you will be sooo glad you did when the dust settles or the wife stops screaming.

1050 for 38's , 1050 for 9mm, 550 for big bores

post-19948-0-43843300-1335571975_thumb.j

post-19948-0-57975500-1335572002_thumb.j

post-19948-0-19923100-1335572398_thumb.j

Edited by Reinz

I bought a 550 for 9mm and .380 when I first started shooting and then added for every gun I shoot. Now that I have 7 toolheads for all the pistol calibers I shoot it is hard to change from the 550. The 550 has done everything I have asked of it and the Dillon no BS warranty is the best. The US manufacturers could take a lesson from Mike Dillon.

Dave

To me it was the cost, until one day I added up and realized I was spending more on commercial ammo than on groceries. Even with 9mm my saving cost is $7 a box, because I buy bulk or take part in group purchases to split the hazmat and shipping fees.

Now my saving is $200 a month and the press + hardware is about to pay for itself.