Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun decision points

Mahead

I had a layoff from uspsa for a few years and now back to shooting matches. I shoot a Glock 34 in production c class moving close to b. I want to start shooting limited. I like the 2011/1911 platform. Should I look for a para 16-40 or spend 2-2 1/2 times the money on a 2011 gun? Can't for the life of me decide. If I go the para route that's a lot of ammo I can load up with the savings. What to do

If the decision involves spending 2- 2 1/2 times the money, I suggest that you buy the Para. If you still want a 2011 after that, I suspect that you can easily sell the Para.

I have shot both and I don't have a strong preference either way. If I was able to find a Para for a good price, I'd probably consider selling my STI.

WHile they aren't 2011/1911, the CZ Tactical Sports or the Tanfoglio Limited are both great guns that for about $1k. The CZ has an awesome trigger straight out of the box.

Edited by pivoproseem

I bought a lightly used Cameron Custom on here with mags for over $1100 of list.

I would go with the gun you are going to want to shoot, even if it costs more initially, if you can.

• 5 weeks later...

vote goes for an STI Edge or Eagle

What he said. I got a P16 before getting an STI (was cheaper), now I know why it was cheaper (it was new) and won't get another PO.

STI all the way. I have never met a Para I liked. I owned one, and had a gunsmith tighten the frame to slide fit. To do so, the frame rails had to be bent so far down that you could actually see the bend. I've never seen a gun that was half that sloppy before or since.

I have had less than satisfactory experiences with the couple of Para's I've owned. I understand they've made strides in quality, but my money went to a custom 2011.

Well I went with a para 16-40 todd jarrett model. Didn't want to go with a 35 because I love 1911's. I'm loving my para. One day I may (will) get a 2011 but right now the para fills the role

When it comes to out-of-the-box Para 1640s, the SX1640J is the absolute best you could get. Congrats, I hope it serves you as well as mine has for me all these years. I love it and will continue to run it for a long time, much to the chagrin of my S_I compatriots that swear I'm going to hell if I don't change my allegiances.

Get some Dawson basepads on those mags and go tear up Limited!

Good for you on the Para.

I have several of them and they all have worked well (one setup for USPSA). IMHO, don't do a lot, get the mags running and shoot the heck out of the gun. Keep a loose track of your rounds. If you are shoot well after 5K-10K rounds, then start thinking about fine tuning some points. All of mine have the PXT extractor and on my main gun the last month or so has started to show the "problems" and failed me in a match. I have just fitted a new EGW PXT replacement extractor and will test this weekend. Besides, that, I did a trigger/parts polish job, Dawson Front sight, a little loktite on the rear sights, played with spring rates, killed off the series 80 stuff and changed the MSH to a steel one. The gun has been super reliable. It possible your new one has a lot of this done already.

Have Fun

Yep, I got it used from a fellow USPSA shooter. 80 series parts are gone, trigger job done and mags have Dawson bases on them. I've thought about just ordering the egw extractor to have on hand in case the power extractor craps out also may fit an oversize firing pin stop with less of a radius similar to my 45's

I have only seen a few paras run reliably. I have seen many of them crap out in one way or another. They are cheaper because they are cheaper.

There is an STI edge for 1500 on here now. Or at least it was last night. Keep your eye out here and on the Uspsa classifieds. I guess they don't get as much traffic over there because I have seen some real deals there in the past. I bought a brand new edge for 1400 with mags there.