Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot weather clothing

The heat is getting brutal down here and its only the first week in July...thought I would pass on some clothing ideas ....DuPont has a distressed nylon fabric called "Supplex" that feels like cotton but dries like nylon (I've seen some generic versions also)... a little shade and a breeze and it gets down right cool...vent back "fishing" shirts of Supplex are becoming popular with the shooters on the west coast of Fla... I wear long sleeve versions (I'm still on probation from my dermatologist after my last bout with skin cancer) whenever possible...many of the guys wear straw extreme wide brim yard hats, but they usually lack a good sweat band, and I have a real problem with sweat in my eyes....for years I relied on elastic/sponge bands from the welding shop to go with the straw... I picked up a USMC digital camo wide brim hat at a gun show and it works great, whatever they use for a sweat band wicks water well....most clubs don't say anything about the camo, if so I'll paint the thing pink ....that way it will compliment my tennis wrist band....I was unable to find a particular style of cargo pocket Docker shorts that my local retailer would consistently have in stock, especially with 1 3/4 belt loops, so decided on Royal Robbins 5.11 shorts... a little heavy but very durable....I'm overweight so to help my ankles wear 8inch lightweight Bates side zip boots.... I accessorize my wardrobe with an oversized colored bandanna... it gets dipped in the cooler about once every half hour from noon on and gets tied around my neck.... any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.... I try to overdrink with the CamelBack, and go thru a couple of quarts of GatorAde a match....regards

Besides, all of that stuff looks pretty cool flapping away on top of that Harley! :P

After all of your research are you going to start shooting pistols again?? Mikey is lonely and gets picked on without your there to protect him. ;)

Leo

Les,

I'm a firm believer in wearing long sleeve shirts as well. I wear white long sleeve dress shirts $10-$14 at Ross Dress for Less. I like the vent back idea so I'll look for some white Supplex fishing shirts.

I take pity on the other shooters and wear long pants. Trust me you really don't want to see my knees or shins! I wear Dickies Khaki work pants. The belt loops are a little tight but I can get a Safariland inner belt through the loops without much trouble. It's a little hard to find them with a 36 inch inseam and a 32 inch waist.

Nolan

I tried a " Heatgear " brand skull cap for use under my hardhat , and ended up going back for some underwear. I dunno what this stuff is but it wicks sweat really well.

They make shirts and other stuff too.

Available at Dick's sporting goods ( and probably somewhere online )

And before you make fun of me for my underwear choice, the NFL guys supposedly wear them too.

Travis F.

Underarmor is correct .

Heatgear is the type . They also make Coldgear and Turfgear ( for astroturf ).

Man, discussing my undies on the internet...

Will the wonders never cease ?

Travis F.

Under Armor rules!

When I lived in KC a friend who's a trainer for the Seattle Seahawks came to town and gave me one of their long sleeve shirts to try right before a softball game that I roped him into playing with us. He said only if I put it on and wore it the whole game. It being May in KC (hot and humid as hell) I pegged him for some S & M freak, but did so, as he stated it works for the NFL.

I'll tell you what. Even though it was a long sleeve shirt, I felt comfortable and temperature-wise cool the entire time. It's now too big, but am buying a whole new set of Under Armor next week. They have loose t-shirts now and they are super comfortable. Too, as IPSC shooters like to wear our polos blazin' with logos, etc., the undershirts are perfect!

Military, LE and high performance atheletes can't all be wrong.

Rich

My gf doesn't like to wear her armour when she goes outside, especially when it is hot out. So I told her about UnderAmour and now she is nice and comfy :) under her (inadequate) body armour. Too bad the agency she works for won't let her or anyone buy better equipment. :huh: They have to suffer with whatever is given to them. I doubt the vest she wears will even stop the round from her sidearm (which is a pos), much less a round from a M16A2.

Nike, Reebok and a host of other companies make products similar to UnderArmour.

It was 95deg and 79% humidity at last weekend's match. I wore a Cool Stuff brand long sleeve shirt that is marketed towards motorcycle riders (my other hobby). You're supposed to wear it underneath your body armor against your skin. It uses phase changing filaments weaved into the fabric to regulate skin temperature. The filaments in the cloth contain phase change "bubbles" that stay solid below 90deg and change to liquid above that. Your body releases heat through your skin to regulate core body temp and the shirt absorbs that heat so it feels cool against your skin. When your skin temp drops below 90deg, the shirt releases the heat back to your body so it feels warm.

http://www.motocoolstuff.com/technology.htm#

So back to the match. A couple people gave me grief about wearing long sleeves on a hot day before I told them what the shirt was. During the course of the match I noticed I wan't perspiring as much as I normally do. The shirt can only absorb so much heat so on really hot days your skin temp may go higher, but the shirt helps delay dehydration through sweating. The shirt also uses synthetic fibers to wick away perspiration to give evaporative cooling as well like the Underarmor shirts.

Magellan and Columbia make the long or short sleeve fishing shirts that are vented in the back. I buy mine at Academy or Bass Pro in Texas. They are very cool and and dry quickly in a light breeze. They come in many bright colors too. I love to fish and shoot in them during the hot summer months.

There are some very nice cotton shooting shirts for trap and skeet shooting that work very well. They have a mesh panel across the shoulders with an outer panel open at the bottom that matches the shirt. Normal body movement pumps air in the back and helps keep you dry and cool. The shirts are available in short sleeve, long sleeve and various material weights. Cabalas and Bob Allen are good places to start shopping. For rifle and shotgun in 3-gun shooting the quilted (stiffened) shoulder pad works great for fast and consistent mounts. Many other kinds of shirts seem to get caught up in the recoil pad.

Steve ;)

For the budget minded shopper the place to go is the Wal-Mart Super Center. In the fishing department you'll find a line of shirts and pants called "Sports Afield". Super lightweight, space age material, long sleve, vented, UV protected, double flip up collar, velcro tabs, buttons and pockets all over the place... $19.00. Matching pants...also $19.00.

Here in Florida where match temperatures are 94 degrees with 94% humidity, I just gulp a bunch of water first thing in the morning, get nice and soaking wet and stay cool as a cuke all day long. Not really, but the right clothing helps.

I forgot to mention the " big gun " for those really stinking hot days from hell.

The neck wrap things , the ones you soak in water and wrap around your neck ( you can also refrigerate them for a real kick ).

Thermocool is the brand I have now, some sort of technology developed for NASA.

My son told me they contain the same stuff as the super absorbent diapers, I cannot verify this though, and do not advise wearing diapers until absolutely required. :rolleyes:

They seem to help some. but they hold quite a bit of water, so they are heavy. ( probably less than a pound, but take some getting used to ).

Travis F.

I have found that along with cool clothing, (which to me include light colored cotton shirts) the best thing I can do is exercise in the heat. I walk about 4 miles three days a week. somewhere around April when the weather started warming up, I started exercising outside. Today it was almost 95% at 4pm when I was walking. Terribly hot and muggy.

But I have found that if I exercise in the same conditions I want to play in, those matches only find me hot and sweaty, not physically drained.

FWIW

dj

forgive the thread drift

dj

I'm casting my vote for Cabela's. They carry those Columbia shirts and the Supplex vent back fishing shirts up to 5X. They also carry 7 pocket hiker style shorts and pants made with a "stretch" fabric. I'm always on the lookout for products that work well for the gravitationally challenged and these things are awesome. They're durable, look pretty good IMO, have plenty of pockets, and I don't have to worry about having a blow out or squashing the boys every time I have to drop to one knee or lunge for something. I wish the belt loops were a little narrower but I just skip the one under my holster w/ my innerbelt and everything holds just fine. They're worth every penny.