Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensator for 3gun rifle

compensators are like anything else, everyones got one and theirs is always the best. i have never liked comping anything for the reason that i enjoy a good night shoot! but im going to bite the bullet and play 3gun... so

who likes what and why?

i like the idea of the battlecomp but everyone says theres is the best.

i also like the warranty of PWS. and the FSC556

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...9&idcategory=6

http://battlecomp.com/store/index.ph...g5b21g65t5cr41

HELP! i want to get it on and shot by the match on the 31st

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two you are looking at are compromises for the tactical world where you want to cut down on signature and blast and still have muzzle reduction. They are not great compensators because of this. They are fine for their intended purpose but not three gun. I would highly recommend the SJC Titan Comp as it keeps the gun flat.

Pat

I've got a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder comp on my 18" competition rifle and a Battlecomp on my 16" LWRC. Not completely apples to apples, but the Rolling Thunder comped gun has muzzle flip comparable to my 18" 22LR upper. The Battlecomp is much better than the stock flash suppressor, but nowhere close to the efficiency of the Rolling Thunder.

I have a Battle Comp on my utility rifle and a Miculek comp on my 3G rifle. I will mimic the above post in that they are two different objects designed with different purposes. The Battle Comp does a great job at flash redirection and a moderate job at compensation. The Miculek does nothing for flash redirection but an incredible job at compensation.

Very similar concept to the Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife. LOTS of mediocre tools that will serve, but NO tools that do their job near as well as the individual specific tools themselves.

Mac

Look at Jim Lambert's comp under the Firebird Precision vendor section. I think he has the best thought out comp on the market and some impressive video demonstrations. I'm still planning on getting one put on my AR he built, just haven't been playing with it enough to bother lately.

Firebird Firearms Dominator Comp

Edited by Erucolindon

My new 16" upper from Carbon Arms has the Firebird Dominator on it. It has a great finish and looks like a quality product. Unfortunately, I've been on forced medical convalescence all this week.....no range time yet. I can make a rough comparison to my Nordic Corvette once I get out shooting again.

The Titan and Rolling thunder are probably the most effective popular comps being used. But they need to be properly tuned to between 1 & 2 o'clock. However after trying about 7 different comps my choice of popular comps is the new Spike compensator. But if you really want to check out the very best go on U-tube and check out the Coheti compensator. I have one of these on my new Stag Arms 3 G and am very happy with it. It is manufactured by a local machinist, shooter /gunsmith. The rest of the comps are now being used as paper weights.

but everyone says theres is the best.

And their right....

Best for them for whatever reason, maybee they made it, or designed it or are friends with the gunsmith down the street, sponsored by the maker or whatever. There are so many variables on the effectiveness of the comps/breaks out there that you really need to try several to find out what works best for your style of shooting on your rifle. Not all rifles will have the same feel or effectivness with each comp. but in my experiance they are all darn close, so close that if you want value as in bang for the buck, I would say to start with the Miculek comp, as at about $35.00 its a hard comp to beat.

MPeltier, no financial interest here.I am simply trying to share my mistakes after wasting a considerable amount of $ so others do not fall to the same mistakes. Again, the Titan and Rolling Thunder comps are good. ( I currently have a Titan that I will sell you cheap.)I just think that the Spike is better. The Spike I will not sell. The Spike reduces recoil as good and noise much better than the Titan and Rolling Thunder in my opinion. And after trying most popular compensators the Coheti compensator, which I did not provide contact information for, is by far the very best and because of this I have it on my new Stag Arms 3 G.

Again the Titan and Rolling Thunder should be tuned between 1 & 2 o'clock for right handed shooters and opposite for left handed shooters.

MPeltier, no financial interest here.I am simply trying to share my mistakes after wasting a considerable amount of $ so others do not fall to the same mistakes. Again, the Titan and Rolling Thunder comps are good. ( I currently have a Titan that I will sell you cheap.)I just think that the Spike is better. The Spike I will not sell. The Spike reduces recoil as good and noise much better than the Titan and Rolling Thunder in my opinion. And after trying most popular compensators the Coheti compensator, which I did not provide contact information for, is by far the very best and because of this I have it on my new Stag Arms 3 G.

Again the Titan and Rolling Thunder should be tuned between 1 & 2 o'clock for right handed shooters and opposite for left handed shooters.

Thank you for helping me prove my point. I disagree however that you made any mistake or wasted any money. In the end you have found the best comp for YOU.....

Any of the mainstream comps will work fine. I've run the JP, Surefire, Titan, Rolling Thunder and the Miculek. My experience was that the Titan provided very slightly (almost unpercceptibly) better functional results, but was cuncusive enough to shake my eyeballs and it loaded up with carbon really fast. The Rolling Thunder works almost as well, but is much easier on the shooter. My JP and Surefire work about equally as well as the Thunder, but are not quite as nice on the shooter (again almost unperceptibly so). The Miculek works great too and is cheap. Right now, I am running the JP which came on my upper, with a right side tuning hole. One of my buddies runs a Surefire and the other a Thunder. All three rifles feel and shoot so close to exactly the same, that I honestly can't say that one is better than the others. There are no flashiders which make good comps and no comps which make good flashhiders. It doesn't matter though, because they are easily unthreaded and swapped out in minutes.

I've run the JP, Nordic Corvette & Surfire. I found the Surefire a little better than the other 2 but not by enough to worry about. At least for me.

I like the look better so I've stuck with it. if I was on a budget, the Nordic stuff is very nice and IIRC, has the lowest price point.

Isn't it great when we share opinions and respect each other ? I have learned an awful lot in this forum and continue to learn. Subsequently I appreciate very much evryone's participation whether I agree or not just the same. Thank you !

Amen Puma! Must be the moderators that don't let Enos forums deteriorate into name calling and bashing. Once people learned that, the trolls don't bother. Plus, everyone here is a shooter, not a keyboard kommando. They really do want to help grow the shooting sports. Others may have more volume, when I want serious answers, I come to Enos. Thanks to Brian, his moderators and all posters.

Isn't it great when we share opinions and respect each other ? I have learned an awful lot in this forum and continue to learn. Subsequently I appreciate very much evryone's participation whether I agree or not just the same. Thank you !

i havent spent much time here in the past but i have gotten the most accurate information off of Enos.

thank you all for your help and input. im looking into a few different breaks now mainly the SJC and surefire.

unfortunately the cost is right up there...

Saying that one comp is "better" than another is like saying vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate. I believe anyone who says one comp is "better" than another is probably looking to sell you their latest wiz-bang comp.