Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensator for 3gun rifle

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are now carrying a comp that is smaller, lighter and has much less concussion than the "famous" comps on the market. However, it is every bit as effective, if not more so. These are heat treated to increase durability and they won't carbon up the crown. http://www.carbonarms.us/AR-15-Uppers-and-Parts/Muzzle-Brake.html

Are you going to post any videos of it? How well does it mitigate movement to the right? I'm interested in trying both a .223 and .308 version and your price is right.

FYI muzzle movement to the right or left is dependent on which shoulder you use. The energy moves away from resistance.

One of the reasons Mark has made his comp neutral.

And Mark I have a 223 comp…308? not yet.

I realize that about the lateral movement, I just assume most are right handed. I'm a lefty and force myself to shoot righty.

Sounds like you will have another round of comp testing with .308 now in the mix. Looking forward to another one of your great articles on the topic.

I have one of the prototype 308 brakes on my LRP-07 and it's very promising. So far it works as well as any 308 comp I've tried (including the Titan and my own custom brake), is on the lighter side of concussion, is short and light weight. Unfortunately, the cost of 308 will make it take a bit of time to run as many rounds through it as has been requested.

In general, I've come to appriciate shorter, lighter brakes. I would rather have an 18" barrel with a short brake than a 16" barrel with a long brake. In our neck of the woods, we reach out pretty far (up to 600yds at one of the local matches) and velocity is important. My 18" rifle, with a 3" thunder or titan is just as long and more nose heavy than my 20" with a cooly or carbon brake. To each his own, but I always chuckle a little when I read about guys saying they need the lightest profile barrel and then thread a brick on the end. In 223 there are tons of shorter brakes which work outstanding (carbon arms comp included), so I will take a short brake and longer barrel for more velocity. In 308, comp designs have not yet reached their limit, competitors should run the one which works best for them (which requires some tial and error), whatever the brand or how ugly it looks. 223 is so light and most brakes work so well that if you are getting lateral movement, it's because you are being lazy and not employing good technique to mitigate your own body movement. 308 requires a lot more from the shooter to counter the reciprocating mass of the bolt stopping against and then accelerating off your body. The lateral movement is much harder to tame in the larger platform and requires considerably more from the shooter and the brake.

I have one of the prototype 308 brakes on my LRP-07 and it's very promising. So far it works as well as any 308 comp I've tried (including the Titan and my own custom brake), is on the lighter side of concussion, is short and light weight. Unfortunately, the cost of 308 will make it take a bit of time to run as many rounds through it as has been requested.

In general, I've come to appriciate shorter, lighter brakes. I would rather have an 18" barrel with a short brake than a 16" barrel with a long brake. In our neck of the woods, we reach out pretty far (up to 600yds at one of the local matches) and velocity is important. My 18" rifle, with a 3" thunder or titan is just as long and more nose heavy than my 20" with a cooly or carbon brake. To each his own, but I always chuckle a little when I read about guys saying they need the lightest profile barrel and then thread a brick on the end. In 223 there are tons of shorter brakes which work outstanding (carbon arms comp included), so I will take a short brake and longer barrel for more velocity. In 308, comp designs have not yet reached their limit, competitors should run the one which works best for them (which requires some tial and error), whatever the brand or how ugly it looks. 223 is so light and most brakes work so well that if you are getting lateral movement, it's because you are being lazy and not employing good technique to mitigate your own body movement. 308 requires a lot more from the shooter to counter the reciprocating mass of the bolt stopping against and then accelerating off your body. The lateral movement is much harder to tame in the larger platform and requires considerably more from the shooter and the brake.

This bears repeating…^^^

There are about 30 223 comps on guns now and everyone is either happy to ecstatic.

One thing I'm definitely not happy about on my JP is that if I ever do a night shoot with non-premium ammo, I get a scope full of hell fire. It is very disorienting to say the least. I have my own land and clubs within driving distance are starting to have zombie themed competitions, so regular night shoots are not out of the question. It may about as possible as my F-150 taking flight, but I would like to see a compensator that worked well, but shot off the flames a little to the side or dissipated them better as to not blind me.

There are about 30 223 comps on guns now and everyone is either happy to ecstatic.

One thing I'm definitely not happy about on my JP is that if I ever do a night shoot with non-premium ammo, I get a scope full of hell fire. It is very disorienting to say the least. I have my own land and clubs within driving distance are starting to have zombie themed competitions, so regular night shoots are not out of the question. It may about as possible as my F-150 taking flight, but I would like to see a compensator that worked well, but shot off the flames a little to the side or dissipated them better as to not blind me.

The Battlecomp, or PWS FSC556 is what you are looking for.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Due to some common design features, the Seekins and the Dynamic Resistance comp (the one we carry at Carbon Arms) the noise and flash signatures are greatly reduced while being much flatter than either the BC or the PWS.

I used the http://www.carbonarms.us/AR-15-Uppers-and-Parts/Muzzle-Brake.html at the Crimson Trace Midnight match with factory ammo and never saw a muzzle flash.

I agree and this is an interesting twist on the topic. With so many excellent brakes to chose from, the debate should no long stop at who makes the flattest shooting brake (which is totally subjective anyways). Tons of options begins to open the door to modern brakes meeting more than just one or two needs. My 20" JP15 and my 18" CTR02 sport the original Cooly comps which came on the barrel. They work as well as any brakes I've tried and I have no reason to change them. My brand new 18" JP15 is my utility rifle. It sports iron sights, FDE cerecote, adjustable stock and would be my go to rifle for SHTF duty. It already has a Carbon Arms brake because the Cooly is a bit concussive and throws a pretty wicked fireball. There is a youtube vid floating around which compares lots of brakes and I was surprised to find that the good ole, Surefire had about the same night time muzzle signature as an A2 birdcage. This got me to considering that different products have different balances of ammenities. Now you can have a short, light, highly effective brake, which is low maintenance and sports reduced concussion and reduced muzzle flash. All this, while looking cool, being relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

co-exprs, how is the lateral movement on the Carbon .308 brake? I am getting more and more intrigued by this brake the more I hear about it. Size, performance, price. It used to be that you could only pick 2 but now it seems like Carbon is giving us all 3.

Sigh... maybe I'm not explaining it well. The one I have is a prototype, so things may change, but overall the performance is very good. Length and weight is a little shorter and lighter than a Cooly. There is less concussion and less muzzle flash too.<br /><br />There is no match legal brake on the market which will eliminate all of the lateral movement in a 308 rifle by itself. That's because the lateral movement is caused by the reciprocating mass of the bolt slamming into your shoulder and then pushing forward again off of your shoulder. The more rigid frame you provide the less your body will turn and the less lateral movement. Making a brake designed to eliminate nearly all of the recoil induced by the bullet accelerating is the easy part. Providing enough forward push to counter act the movement of the bolt is a question of timing and an entirely different matter. I don't have it all figured out yet and this new brake gets into some timing elements I had not considered previously, but the designer (who is not me) took a different approach and in a sense a step backwards in order to go two steps forward into this relatively new application. Some brakes, like the Thunder use jet tuning to eliminate the lateral thrust (which is highly effective), but in 308, that means the utilization of an unwanted pressure chamber and is thus an unacceptable compromise (at least in my experience and opinion). In terms of eliminating raw rearward thrust, this brake works as well as anything else on the market (and I've tried all of the big dogs and a few obscure models), but if you think there is a brake out there that eliminates all lateral thrust in 308, without you doing your part, then you are on a fruitless quest. In 308 there is a lot of personal technique involved as well as rifle tuning. The brake, rifle tuning and personal technique all have to come together to produce a 20yd target with 90% A hit hammers. I need to run this comp in a wider variety of competition scenarios and a wider variety of ammo before giving any more thumbs up than I have, but so far this one is looking pretty solid.

The Battlecomp, or PWS FSC556 is what you are looking for.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely thread drift (sorry) but not so sure those are as good as a true flash hider. Wonder if for 3g, and flash suppression, something like the grffin armaments SD Flash comp would not be a good compromise http://griffinarmament.com/accessories/centerfire-muzzle/m4sd-flash-comp/

Mark

I totally agree that it has become a bit more dynamic than which reduces muzzle flip the most. I'm currently searching for something that does that job and doesn't beat me to death. I will be the first to admit I'm a bit concussion sensitive, even with a lot of round down range I find myself sometimes flinching or anticipating the blast. I might need to suck it up but it really kills some of the fun for me, I shouldn't leave a stage feeling like I just finished a boxing match. JMO

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely thread drift (sorry) but not so sure those are as good as a true flash hider. Wonder if for 3g, and flash suppression, something like the grffin armaments SD Flash comp would not be a good compromise http://griffinarmament.com/accessories/centerfire-muzzle/m4sd-flash-comp/

Mark

Decent flash suppressor, basically like a BattleComp, but no good for keeping the muzzle still for speed doubles. Looked at the Apex on the webpage...doubt we see many use it.

I've run the Griffin, and was genuinely surprised at how well it worked as a brake. Not as good as a competition brake, but was certainly better than most flash suppressors. If what you are looking for is a compromise, then go for it, but it will be a compromise.

Shot my Dynamic Resistance comp for the first time this weekend and it was very impressive. I took a Rolling Thunder off my 16" rifle and put on the DR. First thing I noticed was the weight savings. Not a decision maker for me but you can definately feel the difference. This comp was much easier on the ears than the RT. Muzzle movement/rise was very little with this comp. Not quite as effecient as my RT but better than my Cooly that was on this barrel before. Definately one to consider if you are in the market for a new comp and the price is very attractive also.

Fired dynamic resistance for first time, at 100 yards. Certainly kept muzzle flat. Better in this respect than my previous comps; fsc556, battle comp and griffin arms. Did not feel much muzzle blast, but other shooters on line said it was very loud for a 223 firearm. Would hate to see what more traditional comps are like. Guess there is no free lunch! Was hoping tho!