Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensator for 3gun rifle

The only direct comparisons I have done are SJC, JP, and Miculek. I did some bill drills with all three on the same gun, at the same sitting, all reduced the "felt" recoil the same, but the SJC was the flattest, so that is what my game gun wears.

I guess I need to try some different ones out, but it's kind of a pain unscrewing, screwing, shooting, unscrewing, screwing, shooting, etc, etc....

I did something similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uav22582oy0&list=UUz269DMWoYS4dmmL3MiOAHQ&index=3&feature=plcp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only direct comparisons I have done are SJC, JP, and Miculek. I did some bill drills with all three on the same gun, at the same sitting, all reduced the "felt" recoil the same, but the SJC was the flattest, so that is what my game gun wears.

I guess I need to try some different ones out, but it's kind of a pain unscrewing, screwing, shooting, unscrewing, screwing, shooting, etc, etc....

I did something similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uav22582oy0&list=UUz269DMWoYS4dmmL3MiOAHQ&index=3&feature=plcp

Looking at your video the Firebird comp seemed to have the most muzzle rise. The others were close. How did it feel as the shooter.

Pat

The SJC and Dans Comp felt the best and had the least amount of movement. The SJC felt like it actually pulled the rifle forward. They were all fairly close when shooting 2 rounds, 3 rounds was where there was a difference. During my quick test, The goal was to stand neutral not driving the gun and shoot 3 in the A at 50 yards.

The rifle was a Firebird Billet with a 16" midlength Nordic/lilja barrel and FA BCG, gas wide open. The firebird comp did not work well with this set up, but did feel great on my Firebird 16" carbine FA BCH with the gas turned down. Dans comp works awesome on my 18 rifle length lightened BCG (also its incredible on a .308) The JP felt great on a JP built 18" upper (Probably my favorite gun). But the SJC just works awesome on everything

So I guess what I am getting at is there in no best comp, each one works better on different set ups.

Firebird comp on firebird 16"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920Hw9DBC6k&list=UUz269DMWoYS4dmmL3MiOAHQ&index=7&feature=plcp

JP on JP rifle

I had the Spikes muzzle brake on my rifle for last years season of 3-gunnin and thought it to be pretty effective for the $60 price. I did get a little bit of muzzle flip with it which led me to go another route.

I now have the JP Benny Cooley on my rifle and I'm glad I spent the extra money this time. It's definitely louder, but it shoots incredibly flat.

Since I have started shooting multigun and tactical rifle matches in 2006, I have not found a better compensator than the SJC Titan.I have just about owned and tried them all, always looking for a better mousetrap. My one complaint of the Titan has always been that it was long and heavy at 5.6 ounces and 3" in length. I go through great lengths to get my barrels contoured the way that I like them, only to add 5.6 ounces of weight and 3" of length back to the front. And yes, I feel it and know its out there.

Well, I found a more effective comp that comes in at 1.5" and less than 2 ounces in weight. I spoke with Jered Joplin of American Precision Arms at SHOT earlier this year and we spoke about comps for a while. He now has what is known as the Micro Bastard. He calls it a brake, I call it a comp. I honestly never in a million years expected to see the kind of performance out of this little package that matches what the Titan is capable of. And it does it beautifully without top ports. I actually told Jered that there was no way that this comp would perform the way we need it to without top ports to be able to drive the gun. He told me to try it first and we would modify it as needed. Well, I had to eat some crow. It did not need top ports and performed AWESOME. I am not saying it is better than the Titan, but I consider it an equivalent in a package 1/3 the size and weight.

The current form of the Micro Bastard is made for bolt rifles. It will be available in a 3 gun version very soon. The 3 gun version will be slightly larger in diameter so that wrench flats can be milled on to it and it will taper to a .735 profile to match the majority of barrel contours in use. The thread depth will also be deeper.

I also have one comment on the videos that are presented for comp testing. They all seem to be effective and rather flat. It really boils down to what the crosshairs are doing on the target.

If there is any one thing I have learned, comp testing is very subjective. Pat Kelley is probably the only guy that I know of who has attempted to create an objective method to provide test results aside from MarkCo who has the ability to model gas flow dynamics on equipment that costs upwards of several hundred thousand dollars.

That Bastard (the comp) looks like a contender. I am aware of three new "lighter and shorter" comps that are not far away from hitting the market.

Crosshair timing/vision at the extremes IS what matters.

Since I have started shooting multigun and tactical rifle matches in 2006, I have not found a better compensator than the SJC Titan.I have just about owned and tried them all, always looking for a better mousetrap. My one complaint of the Titan has always been that it was long and heavy at 5.6 ounces and 3" in length. I go through great lengths to get my barrels contoured the way that I like them, only to add 5.6 ounces of weight and 3" of length back to the front. And yes, I feel it and know its out there.

Well, I found a more effective comp that comes in at 1.5" and less than 2 ounces in weight. I spoke with Jered Joplin of American Precision Arms at SHOT earlier this year and we spoke about comps for a while. He now has what is known as the Micro Bastard. He calls it a brake, I call it a comp. I honestly never in a million years expected to see the kind of performance out of this little package that matches what the Titan is capable of. And it does it beautifully without top ports. I actually told Jered that there was no way that this comp would perform the way we need it to without top ports to be able to drive the gun. He told me to try it first and we would modify it as needed. Well, I had to eat some crow. It did not need top ports and performed AWESOME. I am not saying it is better than the Titan, but I consider it an equivalent in a package 1/3 the size and weight.

The current form of the Micro Bastard is made for bolt rifles. It will be available in a 3 gun version very soon. The 3 gun version will be slightly larger in diameter so that wrench flats can be milled on to it and it will taper to a .735 profile to match the majority of barrel contours in use. The thread depth will also be deeper.

I also have one comment on the videos that are presented for comp testing. They all seem to be effective and rather flat. It really boils down to what the crosshairs are doing on the target.

If there is any one thing I have learned, comp testing is very subjective. Pat Kelley is probably the only guy that I know of who has attempted to create an objective method to provide test results aside from MarkCo who has the ability to model gas flow dynamics on equipment that costs upwards of several hundred thousand dollars.

So when is there going to be one available for AR-15 in 223/5.56 ?

• 4 months later...

post-2671-0-66272500-1334240200_thumb.jp

post-2671-0-81642200-1334240219_thumb.jp

I just as soon NOT have anyone else using this brake but me...it is just that good!

Seekins Precision.

Did you have a gunsmith install it? Just noticed their website seems to say that all their brakes should be installed by a gunsmith. Do they have a strange attachment system? Why would a gunsmith be necessary to thread a nut onto a bolt? Thanks!

this old but there's not a lot of info on it. There are two versions of the small ATC 1/2"-28, one is a gunsmith install in which the instructions say to machine the shoulder of the barrel(?) and not the back of the brake.

The end user install version, which comes with a jam nut, is pretty fancy. It slips over the barrel almost 1/2" past where the threads end. I have it hand tight but I might put some soft face pliers on it to jam it up tighter. I can rotate the thing when it's jammed. There is no mention of crush/peel washers for the installation of this brake.

iPhone 3GS pics, sorry

E82E6CF5-794D-4974-BAF3-F0E61BD934E1-9724-000009EC032B2E3E.jpg

930F5803-49E2-437F-852A-2C6205BDB12C-9724-000009EBFAA36C68.jpg

Edited by dukduk

I am putting together a new upper, and I am looking at the Titan and the Rolling Thunder. Brownell's states that the Rolling Thunder will put me in "Open" due to length? Is that match dependent?

No and no. The length is measured from the crown to the end of the comp. The RT is very close, but allowed for the non-open classes, but I have not seen anyone moved to open, nor seen it measured.

Look at App E1 (page 78) for a picture and explanation: USPSA Rifle Rules 2009

Edited by MarkCO

I am putting together a new upper, and I am looking at the Titan and the Rolling Thunder. Brownell's states that the Rolling Thunder will put me in "Open" due to length? Is that match dependent?

No and no. The length is measured from the crown to the end of the comp. The RT is very close, but allowed for the non-open classes, but I have not seen anyone moved to open, nor seen it measured.

Look at App E1 (page 78) for a picture and explanation: USPSA Rifle Rules 2009

Awesome, thanks Mark. Not sure why Brownell's has that in the description...

Mac

• 1 year later...

Yes, this is very much a necro post. Sorry, but I think it may be worthwile for some. LMK.

I just now called APA up and Jered well remembers you and actually used the phrase "eat crow". I laughed and told him of your post and read a bit to him. They(APA) do have a new version for AR15's but not in SS. I thought the bolt version which you used would be worth a try. Jered found the LAST ONE in existance in a drawer and sold and shipped it while I spoke to him and his office gal. UPS showed up while we were speaking. How is that for fast shipping? He did say that the comp has about a 6 inch rise which can be controlled by down pressure which is more natural than trying to hold a gun UP like some cases with the SJC Titan which can ovder compensate. IDK about all that. What do you have to say about that?

One thing I know to be a fact is that the lighter the brake is the less pendulum effect it has. I have fitted heavy comps on the end of my very light weight(31oz) fluted SS 18" Wylde chamber barrel and its horrible to try and control a fast swing from side to side. Anything reasonably light makes side to side transitions incredibly easier and IMO faster. I have a PRI MSTN QC brake on the way too. I may end up keeping both or selling one of them. I have to try both of them out. I think they should be close in weight which is very important for me.

My 3 Gun type AR15 weighs in LESS than 6 lbs even with a Weaver 1-3X optic mounted. The gun is a dream in balance and light weight. Three ounce (3.4ox) Smith bolt carrier and modified JP captured spring (also a Geisslle 3 gun SD trigger and a 6 ounce 15 inch carbon fiber fore arm which i love).

With a Syrac adjustable gas block and the right comp this thing should shoot flat and transition like a dream. Thats the idea. I have everything all set except my brake which is going to take some time with trial and error. Thanks for the link. Wish me luck. is anyone intersted in the last available origional Micro Bastard in SS if it doesnt meet my needs? LMK. I paid 138 for it shipped. It may or may not be for sale.

EDIT: Dukduk, that is one PRETTY custom fluted barrel you have. I hope my 416R Ss will polish up as well. It has traditional flutes but they are really nicely cut. I just love the look of any kind of lighting cuts

Edited by Bdave

• 2 weeks later...

All I've ever had is a JP so I can't say much but I will say that the JP's that are timed to fit on their own barrels are SHARP, extremely nice looking. That crush washer crap is for the birds.

In terms of performance, I don't know what I'm talking about but a high end rifle builder big into the super accurate bench rest scene that I talk to has told me that these packaged units that you just screw on basically just plain suck compared to a custom fitted comp, that the tolerances on the exit hole are always way too large in order to prevent bullet hits.

We are now carrying a comp that is smaller, lighter and has much less concussion than the "famous" comps on the market. However, it is every bit as effective, if not more so. These are heat treated to increase durability and they won't carbon up the crown. http://www.carbonarms.us/AR-15-Uppers-and-Parts/Muzzle-Brake.html