Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensator for 3gun rifle

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a reason daniel horner uses a rolling thunder, it is the only comp you can tune for YOU.

There are numerous comps that can be tuned, from the simple Nordic Corvette, throught the effective JPs to the Excellent Firebird and I am sure Daniel knows that too.

There is not a "perfect" or one size fits all comp. Anyone who says there is has an interest besides just getting you pointed towards an effective comp! Efficiency is the utilization of the gas energy while IN and just outside the comp. Effectiveness is what the comp does for the shooter when they pull the trigger.

ALL the factors of load, gas volume, gas system, reciprocating mass, dwell time are all intertwined in the effectiveness of a comp. On your rifle with your load, does the mass of the comp affect accuracy? Does the comp combined with your load and cleaning habits affect accuracy and the crown (even creating bullet strikes in the comp)? Plus, do you like a faster, more harsh recoil impulse, or a softer longer, bumpier recoil impulse? How do you hold the rifle and how repeatable is your hold?

I spent some time talking with Eric Lund at Superstition about these concepts, and he fully understands them, which is kind of funny since his comp is the only one I have never tried, but that is going to change.

another one to consider I didn't see mentioned

Miller Precision Hammerhead

very effective at reducing both both muzzle flip and recoil

http://www.millerprecisionarms.com/html/products.html

ccoker, have you used one of the Millers in comparison to a Titan? The Miller does look pretty similar to the two chamber Titan which I have been waiting on a release date for. Different port shapes and other differences I'm sure. Let me know what you think of the Miller please. ....and I thought I had my comp fetish under control :blush:

You said you were thinking of shooting 3-gun, but, you didn't say what division, or what matches you planned to attend. If you're planning to shoot "open" division, or, at matches that allow it in other divisions, the JP tank brake is the best. As a Range officer, at several matches, I get to see hundreds of rifles in action. :cheers:

You said you were thinking of shooting 3-gun, but, you didn't say what division, or what matches you planned to attend. If you're planning to shoot "open" division, or, at matches that allow it in other divisions, the JP tank brake is the best. As a Range officer, at several matches, I get to see hundreds of rifles in action. :cheers:

It is a good brake but a lot of us Open shooters also shoot Tac Optics with the same rifle by just removing the bi pod and side sight. So for that the Tank brake is out and while its a good brake I don't see it doing better than a Titan.

Pat

comps.jpg

I really like the SJC, I didn't need to do anything to it.

When I got the Rolling Thunder I was really unimpressed because it was throwing the gun around. I did a little more research on here and learned how to tune it (very simple). Now I really like it. I can't give you a real side by side comparison because the guns are set up differently (barrel length, gas length, buffer & carrier weight) But I will say this about the Rolling Thunder, the last time I used it in the fall I was getting teased because the guys were pasting a number of the targets with one paster over both holes. (and not exactly close targets either)

The SJC SEEMS louder to me, but it's also closer to my face on that rifle.

Edited by cas

CCOKER,

Please compare the Miller Precision Arms compensator's size, weight and noise reduction to the Titan. The MPA Hammerhead's video is very impressive.

Also what do you know about the new Titan compensator coming out ?

Any and all information that you provide will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Puma

Today I shot a battle comp and my new surefire back to back. The battle comp is awesome for what it is and what it does and is really a great solution on a tactical gun but it's not nearly as effective as the surefire brake.

Just picked up a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder. I'll be comparing it to Arredondo's and Miculek's. Bummed that the Rolling Thunder didn't come with a crush washer or anything. I fired up the lathe and made a spacer, but it was a PITA.

Ben, please share your experience with the Rolling Thunder compared to the Arredondo and the Miculek. I just ordered a Arredondo, but I'm still interested how you find the difference. Which one of the Arredondo and the Miculek did you prefer?

Just picked up a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder. I'll be comparing it to Arredondo's and Miculek's. Bummed that the Rolling Thunder didn't come with a crush washer or anything. I fired up the lathe and made a spacer, but it was a PITA.

Best way to do that, if you have a lathe is take material off the back of the comp until it clocks up where you want it. Thats the way its done at Triangle. Very little material needs to be removed( a few thousands at most) and it looks seamless. Other wise, use a crush or peel washer.---------Larry

Edited by Larry White

I've owned:

SJC Titan (still on my rifle)

Surfire MB556

PWS FSC556

F2 Comp

The best 2 hands down for me are the SJC and SF. They are both very close, but the SJC would get the edge since it's like $40 cheaper

The PWS was a effective comp/flash hider. But it's main purpose IMO is to bridge a comp and a FH. It does a good job, but in terms of a pure comp, it wasn't quite there.

The F2... I had heard good things about it, so I tried it and it just didn't work for me. My muzzle would do like a weird figure 8. It wasn't effective at all for me.

I did some testing on Saturday

My 16" midlength with the Miller Hammerhead vs my 18" riflelength with a PRI/MSTN

The latter definitely had much less concussive effect and the gun was a little easier to stay on target doing double taps

I know some of that is upper config with the longer barrel and rifle length gas system

I need to do a test between the two comps on the same upper

post-2671-0-66272500-1334240200_thumb.jp

post-2671-0-81642200-1334240219_thumb.jp

I just as soon NOT have anyone else using this brake but me...it is just that good!

Seekins Precision.

Did you have a gunsmith install it? Just noticed their website seems to say that all their brakes should be installed by a gunsmith. Do they have a strange attachment system? Why would a gunsmith be necessary to thread a nut onto a bolt? Thanks!

The only direct comparisons I have done are SJC, JP, and Miculek. I did some bill drills with all three on the same gun, at the same sitting, all reduced the "felt" recoil the same, but the SJC was the flattest, so that is what my game gun wears.

I guess I need to try some different ones out, but it's kind of a pain unscrewing, screwing, shooting, unscrewing, screwing, shooting, etc, etc....