Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need a new shooting watch!

steviesterno

Hey all,

Not sure where to ask this, but it seems as good as anywhere. I'm looking for a watch to wear for 3 gun, uspsa, and generally being outdoors where I'm not too too worried about smacking it up. The Omega I got as a graduation present is too nice to ram into barricades.

The problems. I'm looking to spend under $250. I also hate really cheap (feeling and low quality) stuff. I appreciate good gear and don't care a lot about brand names if I can help it for this. I really like the look of the Lumanex stuff, but I'm neither a Seal nor am I going to spend $400 to pretend. I also need an analog dial, but do like some digital features.

Ok, so what do you guys wear and why? I'm liking the Citizens Titanium golf watch because it's light but still study. But if there's something better, I'm all wrists! (and ears, terrible joke).

Steve

I personally dont like to wear a watch while shooting. I dont want anything to get in my way or hang up on anything. If you want one, I have seen some watches with the bands made from paracord. Check out http://www.survivalstraps.com/ you can take your favorite watch and put a paracord survival strap on it.

Consider a Citizen Eco-Drive. There are many different styles (from very spartan to sporty to dressy) and price ranges. They charge via sunlight - the watch face is some form of photo-voltaic panel.

I have the cheapest plastic POS Timex you've ever seen. It's been scratched and soaked and abused. I've had it for about three years. I'm still on the original battery. Best money I ever spent (well, the second best).

I have the cheapest plastic POS Timex you've ever seen. It's been scratched and soaked and abused. I've had it for about three years. I'm still on the original battery. Best money I ever spent (well, the second best).

My $12 Casio might fight you for that.

Too easy in a match, especially a 3 Gun match, to wack the crystal on something, and put a nice scratch across an expensive watch face

Consider a Citizen Eco-Drive. There are many different styles (from very spartan to sporty to dressy) and price ranges. They charge via sunlight - the watch face is some form of photo-voltaic panel.

That's what I have had for a few years now. One of the titanium ones. It's very sturdy and I really like it.

I second Citizen Eco Drive. They are low profile, lightweight, and accurate.

There's a guy on the Sig forum who is the watch guy. I just bought an Eco Drive from him and suggested he contact Brian to become a forum sponsor here. He offers great discounts to that forums folks.

His name is Dave Truong and the business is Mimis Jewelry in California. Google him and give him a call. Super nice guy and always tells me "send it back if you don't like it"

Dave

The Citizen watches are nice but they don't use sapphire glass faces so the glass will get chipped and or scratched pretty easy. It isn't fun when you pay a premium for a Citizen watch and the glass gets beat up so easily. Another thing to watch out for is using automatic winding watches that use a counter weight and hand/arm motion to wind it up. The counter weight winding function on these watches will get damaged pretty easy due to the shock from recoil while shooting.

I prefer to use a Swiss Army Maverick with a rubber strap. This is a fairly light weight and rugged watch. The glass is sapphire so its nearly impossible to scratch or chip. I have lost count of how many times I have accidentally bashed my Swiss Army watch on walls, props, ports, doors, etc while at the range and its held up like a champ and shows very little ware. These watches may be a little bit out of your price range, but if you shop online for them they can be found around $250.

Another thing to watch out for is using automatic winding watches that use a counter weight and hand/arm motion to wind it up. The counter weight winding function on these watches will get damaged pretty easy due to the shock from recoil while shooting.

Not in my experience. I've got a Seiko 5 automatic I've worn everyday for the past 3 years. Relatively inexpensive too, for a watch that looks decent. You can pick them up on Ebay for $60-$70 usually.

That's what I have had for a few years now. One of the titanium ones. It's very sturdy and I really like it.

+1 to this. Great watch for the money. I had a Ti model on when I was in a bike accident involving a tanker truck, watch survived with some very mild scratches on the crystal and bezel. Continued wearing it for 4 more years after that. I still have it, and it still runs, but eventually one of the band pins gave up the ghost. Those Ti bands are not cheap to replace, so it ended up retired.

Now, my everyday casual/shooting watch is another Citizen, but with a leather band. It's held up pretty well. No scratches on the crystal yet, dpesite being whacked against a barricade or 2. *knocks on wood*

Some of the Timex Expedition series have a nice classic analog look, that doesn't immediately make one think "cheap" when they see it. And at 30-40 bucks, if you do scratch it up, not a big deal.

how often are you ramming your wrist into barriers hard enough to damage a watch?

take this with a grain of salt since I have never shot 3 gun but do have some really nice watches.

if its not a dress watch, stop worrying about it and just wear it. if youre really that worried about it, just get a nato strap for it and call it good:

nato-bond-wrist.jpg

if youve got something like a omega seamaster, the sapphire crystal is flush with the bezel and pretty hard to chip. If youve got something with a exposed edge(crystal) that you can feel with your finger nail then youve got a better chance of chipping it.

if your ramming your hand into barriers infrequently as opposed to every time you shoot, if youre at a stage where you are thinking about ramming your hand into something maybe just put the watch in your pocket for that stage.

I stopped worrying about my watches a few years into getting nice ones. You can obsess over every scratch or just enjoy wearing them and realize that these things also need regular service(every 5 years in most cases) and that it will get taken care of when it goes in.

Lastly, stay away from strong magnets if you have a nice watch with a automatic movement.

well I shoot single stack, so I use it to time my stages :P

I'm just a watch guy. I don't know, I like to know what time it is, how long things are taking, etc. They can also be very useful in a pinch, for telling directions, signaling, fire starting, etc. Also used for a couple of basic medical tests, if needed.

I guess I can't really give you a reason why I "Need" one, but I refuse to be one of those young guys that checks his phone for the time. Totally classless. I leave my phone in the car for matches anyway, don't need drama and distractions...

And if you have seen me run a 3 gun match, you know I will be slamming into walls and barricades even if I'm not supposed to be. :devil: That's why I need one to hold up. This will be a general outdoors, hiking, boating, camping, casual watch, too.

I know its off point from your original question, but for future considerations it may be useful. I have a low end Tag-Heuer that's relatively sporty enough for causal yet still dressy enough for office wear. My favorite aspect of this watch is the crystal surface. I've had the watch over 10 years now, and I do anything in it. The crystal still looks as pristine as the day I bought it, not a single scratch. There may be a few dents and dings in the band and body, very small ones, and a fine patina of scratches, but it still meets all my needs from on the range to dressed up. Just like you can either invest in a budget Glock or a blockbuster SVI, you can make an investment in watches and get what you pay for.

Ive only had my Luminox for a few months, but I really like it. I wear it to work every day and wear it when I shoot as well. Its one of the 3000 series with the carbon case and silicone strap. Super lightweight and I bang it around a lot at work and it shows no wear at all.

Why does anybody need a watch at a match? Just curious. The only time I use one is when I am RO'ing at a major and need one to write the time down on the score sheets.

So that pasty white skin under your watch doesn't get sunburned!

I guess I can't really give you a reason why I "Need" one, but I refuse to be one of those young guys that checks his phone for the time. Totally classless.

You know there was a time when those with pocket watches looked down on wrist watch wearers as "knuckle draggers".. Just saying.

Watch story.

I buy Timex Ironman. The all rubber/plastic version. I put it on my left wrist. Watch never comes off until it falls off on its own. A little over 3 years is the record. When it falls off, I buy a new one. They are about $30 bucks at any Wally World.