Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightweight strikers?

Magsz

Hey guys, i ran a search, found a decent amount of information on lightened strikers but ive been unable to narrow down which striker could be regarded as the "best" for my particular needs.

Here is what i require.

1. An extended tip as this is supposed to be the key to igniting primers with 100% reliability. The weight reduction alone isnt supposed to accomplish this unless i am wrong with that statement.

2. I would prefer a striker that is as durable as the factory if that is even possible when going to a lightened striker.

3. Cost is somewhat of an issue. I REALLY dont want to spend 100 bucks on a darned striker as i need to purchase three for my stable of guns. I will plunk down the money IF necessary but i would prefer not to...im sure you guys hear me. :)

I tend to run 4.5 lb wolf striker springs and i am having a 1% failure rate right now. I would like to do what i can to do away with this as a failure to ignite mid stage adds time and well, adding time is probably NOT what we want in this game. :)

What are your thoughts on TI coated strikers versus pure stainless steel?

Also, this is a bit subjective but how do these lightweight strikers change trigger feel?

Thanks for the assistance!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 2 34's, gen 3 and gen 4 and I run the Jager lightened striker with the supplied reduced power striker spring. I exclusively use Federal primers and have had 0 fail to fire. At least 12,000 rounds through the Gen 3 and about 5,000 rounds through the Gen 4 so far. There is a difference in trigger feel, how much depends on what you define as a huge or slight difference. I could tell the difference in mine which is why I put one in my gen 4 as well. I would not recommend mixing stock strikers with reduced springs and vice versa. This is where I had some problems. My way of looking at is you either go completely stock or use a lightened striker with reduced power spring.

I have a pretty extensive collection of 'em: From an 18-year old first generation Lightning Strike, thru several of the newer Titanium Nitride-coated ones, to the L/S lightened steel ones. The only one that I've ever broken was one of the first generations that I broke about 15 years ago with good mileage on it (the lower lug sheared off). They replaced it immediately and told me that they'd made a couple of dimensional changes (more radius in the corners) on the newer ones.

I think that the biggest advantage is the lack of a "clunk" when the firing pin goes forward. You can feel the difference there. The trigger stroke itself is more-dependent of the connector/trigger bar and the sear plate/lower firing pin lug interfaces. If those are correct, the trigger will be nice. The material from which the FP is made is not that important.

Alpha-Charle is "spot-on" with his advice. A lightened FP, combined with a reduced power spring, is pretty cool and reliable. Using the light spring with an OEM FP is just asking for trouble with some primers.

I'm also looking to replace the strikers on 2 guns after replacing the one in my 24. I have a Jager striker because that's what came with my Vanek trigger. It's extended, lightened and they stand behind their product so durability isn't an issue. I don't think there's anyway around the price but if you want to get the best trigger (and maintain reliability) it becomes a must.

I recently bought the Glockworks light weight version for my G21 and found it to be no improvement over the stock FP when using a light spring. When I measured the "extended" tip I discovered it was exactly the same as a stock Glock pin. I had to go back to a stock FP spring to make it work. In summary, a total waste of $80. That's my experience.

I have a Jager striker that came with my Vanek kit. It's awesome, right up until two days ago when the tip broke off. Not sure how it happend, I only have 5,000 rounds through this.

I fired off an email to Jager, I've heard good things so I'm not worried.

I have a Vanek trigger with a Jager firing pin in a G4 G17 which now has 27,000 trouble free rounds fired. I change springs every 10,000 rounds. The first 20,000 I used a 4# spring and the last 7,000 have been with a 4.5# spring all factory ammunition with zero issues. I would recommend the Jager as I have used them in other pistols as well.

I've been waiting for the Jagers to come back in stock. I'm running one of my 17's with a Glocktriggers.com Edge trigger and it's been flawless so far. However the striker is something I've been wanting to swap. This thread has definitely helped me in solidifying that decision.

I've been waiting for the Jagers to come back in stock. I'm running one of my 17's with a Glocktriggers.com Edge trigger and it's been flawless so far. However the striker is something I've been wanting to swap. This thread has definitely helped me in solidifying that decision.

Shooters Connection has them in stock.

Shooters Connection has them in stock.

Excellent! Guess I better go place an order. ;)

I have a new unfired Jager firing pin I will sell if you are unable to locate one.

Picked up a lightening strike lightweight striker.

Yuck is basically all that i can say.

This thing is poorly machined, looks nothing like the product photography on their website (symmetry of machining) and well, it seriously killed my trigger pull.

I can feel the trigger bar CREEPING along the face of the striker leg before it disengages and the striker moves forward. Yuck, yuck and more yuck.

Please, someone tell me the Jager unit is better....

Well, in this case i got "lucky" and found it on closeout at a local shop for 30 bucks.

They normally retail for between 80 and 100 bones so you would think you would be buying quality. This piece of trash isnt even "TI" coated all the way around...

I am going to call the manufacturer tomorrow and see what they have to say about the poor performance and feel.

love the jager one. I can definately tell a BIG difference when putting it in the gun though. The trigger feels crisper with thejager striker in the gun

Did you do any trigger weight measurements before and after?

love the jager one. I can definately tell a BIG difference when putting it in the gun though. The trigger feels crisper with thejager striker in the gun

Did you do any trigger weight measurements before and after?

Nope