Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

hey, uhh is this ced7000 timer on its most sensitive microphone setting actually supposed to be able to register the sound of a firing pin strike or you stuffing another mag in your gun? ive seen people use a timer for this kind of stuff like dryfire and reloads but it doesnt seem like its able to hear that stuff

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey, uhh is this ced7000 timer on its most sensitive microphone setting actually supposed to be able to register the sound of a firing pin strike or you stuffing another mag in your gun? ive seen people use a timer for this kind of stuff like dryfire and reloads but it doesnt seem like its able to hear that stuff

I think the 7000A is more sensitive and might pick up some of that stuff. It is made for airsoft. Most people just use the timer with the par settings for dry fire. I just got mine a couple days ago and I love it. It is worlds better than my Speed Timer. I may end up getting the 8000 eventually though, so I can use headphones with it. The 'volume control' on the 7000 is either HIGH or LOW. Even the low setting is too loud when my wife and kid are sleeping. Tried taping the speaker, but it didn't do much at all to quiet it down.

• 1 month later...
Is it  the heat or direct sunlight that trashes the LCD displays of the shrill yellow monsters?

We have tried everything...usually it is a race to get the shooter's time, then get the timer into the shade somehow.

Sun, heat, batteries...I have seen them with pieces of cardboard taped on to work as a sun visor/shade. They are just a pain. No trusting them. Too bad...cause the big display feature is way cool.

sp3000.gif

I don't recall that they give the first shot and split times as easily as the Pact CTII, either.

[edit] to be clear...the display on the hand-held timer portion is what I am talking about crapping out on us...having those big displays has saved a few from reshoots.

I've been using mine for 7 or 8 years now and in all kinds of weather. The only downside I've seen (with mine and others) is that they don't like moisture (rain). We are running ours in ziploc bags, seam at the bottom.

No problems from the heat.

These timers are used at the IPSC Nationals in Canada. Jack is a major sponser. He will come up with a timer that works for a particular stage, along with 1 or 2 backup units.

I won't speak for the display unit, because I've only seen 2 in use.

Edited by RePete

• 1 month later...

CED 7000 is a run away winner.

From my skimming of this thread, I would say that the Pact Mark IV is the most popular, but Flexmoney's comment kind of threw me for a loop. Since this thread is years old, has CED surpassed Pact in popularity, or is the Mark IV still the consensus? I also noticed that Brian is no longer carrying timers, and was wondering if that had anything to do this debate? Basically, I was just wanting to get an update from the big boys as what they would recommend today. Thanks a bunch.

Edited by TheDarkOne

• 2 months later...

I have een research timers again. The only place I can find that sells PACT Mark IV's is Midway, but they are sold out. Customer comments there say they are not honoring their lifetime warranty. All this, and the fact that BE does not carry them anymore, has me wondering if they have gone down hill over the years. Any insight on this, or recommendation on which timer to get would be appreciated.

A lot of people like the pocket pro 2 shot timer.

I just went through this about 2 months ago. I went with the Pocket Pro II for a few reasons.

First, I had a hard time seeing the 7000 due to the smaller print. But then again I have 50 year old eyes so YMMV significantly.

Second, I also found the high pitched beep a little less appealing for the same reason, age. I prefer the buzz type beep of the PP2.

The CED seems to be an outstanding timer but it just was not a good fit for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've read all the online docs for Competition Electronics, Pact, and CED....I didn't find where data from the timer could be downloaded via USB. I see it's possible on one of the chronos. Is this not a feature on any of the current timers? And why the heck not? Or did I just not see it on the product web page?

• 2 months later...

Re reading this and found that I had miss Flexmoneys statement

"I don't recall that they give the first shot and split times as easily as the Pact CTII, either."

You get the # of shots fired, and the split times during review.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys,

has anyone had this happen to their CED7000 timer (& how did they fix it)?

I used a friends charger to charge mine (overnight) & when I removed it, the backlight was on, however the timer would not switch on.

I reset the timer several times, however this has not fixed it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by Stats770

• 1 month later...

So it's now 2011.... what's the one to get?

If computers are outdated by the time you walk out...there's got to be something new now?

I really like my CEI Pocket Pro, (CEI-2800). It has a big display and is easy to operate. It does everything I want to do with a timer. I don't need some answer to a question that was not asked. Some of the other timers I've seen have really small displays. I don't need it to be a chrono or to run remote displays. The Pocket Pro is perfect for me. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is the CED 8000 the only timer currently on the market with a headphone jack? Also will any of the timers available pick up dry fire shots?

I'm curious about the dry fire half of this question as well. Just bought a Pocket Pro II and it doesn't want to pick up my dry fire clicking. The SureFire iPhone app worked for this at first, but has since ceased to work reliably for dry fire practice.

• 2 months later...

I'm curious about the dry fire half of this question as well. Just bought a Pocket Pro II and it doesn't want to pick up my dry fire clicking. The SureFire iPhone app worked for this at first, but has since ceased to work reliably for dry fire practice.

Can you set a par time on the Pocket Pro 2 to tenths of a second like you could with the Surefire app? I want to be able to set it to, say, 2.4 seconds and have it beep both at the start and at the end of that 2.4 second par time. Is this possible? Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Is anyone using the CED 7000PRO? I like the idea of being able to use it to score too. At practice matches we obviously don't print score sheets or use winMSS for scoring so being able to do it with a timer as you walk around to score and patch would be nice.

A lot of guys here (australia) use the CED 7000 and they seem to work great. my club actually has an old pocket pro for loaner timers and it works fine too. At matches a lot of clubs use the yellow IPSC timers (speed timer 3000). I've not seen anyone here use the CED8000. They look a little awkward to use? I thought about the PACT but for that money you can buy a basic timer and a separate chrono. so for me I think I'm looking at between a pocket pro II or a CED7000 pro.

Would love to hear thoughts on the merits of the CED7000 pro. :)

here is the pro: http://www.doublealpha.biz/timers/CED7000PRO/ced7000pro-shot-timer

• 2 weeks later...

no one? hard to find reviews. I've basically only found one and the owner was not an IPSC shooter, a mac user (so couldn't use the PC features) and of course wasn't so happy. personally since I shoot IPSC, shoot outdoors and have a PC I'm keen to hear from someone who has used one. :)