Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

Still have my 20 year old Pact MKIV. I was about to order a set of skyscreens for it, but I was told that the newer ones are only marginally compatible with the old (non XP) MKIV. The spacing changed from 24 inches to 18 inches and the timer would have to be manually reset each time you set up to accommodate the spacing difference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I'm in the market for a timer, and I'm glad i came across all this info.... thanks guys.  Wasn't really finding to much out there that really talked about the differences between manufactures and models. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give a high five to the folks at Competition Electronics.  Went to change the battery on my Pocket Pro and broke off the 9 volt connector.  Wouldn't seem to be a problem until you realize all the Radio Shacks have closed up and gone away.  After the SS NATS we were going through Rockford, IL to see some friends so I went by, knocked on the door and asked if I could buy the part. 65 cents (including tax!) later I had the part and they even soldered it on for me!  Well worth going a few blocks out of the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Being cheap, I have been using a phone app for dry fire and not using one at all during practice sessions.  The apps are not sensitive enough for dry or live fire and have always had to place the phone on a desk or table and dry fire beside it for it to record anything.

Yesterday, I manage to pick up a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II for $40 brand new in the box at an estate action. But it does not do me any good right now as my house is up for sale and all of my guns and shooting equipment are at my dad’s (70 miles away). Can’t wait to start shooting and practicing again.

• 4 months later...
On 6/5/2017 at 8:58 AM, beckham said:

Being cheap, I have been using a phone app for dry fire and not using one at all during practice sessions.  The apps are not sensitive enough for dry or live fire and have always had to place the phone on a desk or table and dry fire beside it for it to record anything.

Yesterday, I manage to pick up a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II for $40 brand new in the box at an estate action. But it does not do me any good right now as my house is up for sale and all of my guns and shooting equipment are at my dad’s (70 miles away). Can’t wait to start shooting and practicing again.

Nice score! I missed out on most of this season because I bought a house and had to get it ready to move in. I feel your pain. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

although i personally like the pocket pro II theres nothing wrong with the cecd7000. We use them ocassionally at our local matches and I've also seen them used at the larger matches. You cant go wrong with any of the big names honestly.

• 3 months later...

I'm surprised there really hasn't been any new comers to this market.  I just ordered a Pocket Pro II a few days ago after doing all this research and most posts are several years old.  Granted they have a specific purpose but there's always room for improvement in materials, quality, etc.  The one thing that turned me away from the CED was the non user serviceable battery.  Hope I made the correct decision.

2 minutes ago, Yoakam said:

I'm surprised there really hasn't been any new comers to this market.  I just ordered a Pocket Pro II a few days ago after doing all this research and most posts are several years old.  Granted they have a specific purpose but there's always room for improvement in materials, quality, etc.  The one thing that turned me away from the CED was the non user serviceable battery.  Hope I made the correct decision.

I have owned almost every shot timer on the market and the ones I haven't owned I have used them at some point during matches or practice sessions. In my opinion, the Pocket Pro II is the best personal practice live fire shot timer on the market. It uses a 9V replaceable battery, its super fast and easy to review your strings of fire, and very rugged. The only feature that it doesn't have, which is more of a dry fire feature, is the ability to setup a Multi-Par Time to track separate activities within the same drill. From a Dry Fire use perspective I think the CED 7000 is the best shot timer as it has a Multi-Par function and you can adjust the beep volume so you don't drive your family nuts with all the beeping. The primary issues with the CED 7000 is its dedicated rechargeable battery and fragile construction. When I was using the CED 7000 for live fire practice I constantly battled the dead battery issue because I forgot to recharge it before going to the range. It is also not constructed in a robust manner so dropping it when running yourself on drills will likely result in breaking it.

The only negative I have for the Pocket Pro II is the LCD screen isn't protected from moisture well. The pocket clip angle has the screen pointing straight upwards so you can see the screen easily. But it being pointed upwards also promotes collecting water in wet range conditions. While practicing in rainy or wet range conditions I have ruined the LCD screen on my Pocket Pro II a couple of times. Both times I ordered a replacement LCD screen from Competition Electronics and soldered it in myself for about $10 and it was back in action. You could also send the shot timer back to CE and they can repair it for you at a minimal charge.

30 minutes ago, Yoakam said:

Actually there have been, google "amg lab commander" ;)

commander small.JPG

Edited by alexmg
added picture

10 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I have owned almost every shot timer on the market and the ones I haven't owned I have used them at some point during matches or practice sessions. In my opinion, the Pocket Pro II is the best personal practice live fire shot timer on the market. It uses a 9V replaceable battery, its super fast and easy to review your strings of fire, and very rugged. The only feature that it doesn't have, which is more of a dry fire feature, is the ability to setup a Multi-Par Time to track separate activities within the same drill. From a Dry Fire use perspective I think the CED 7000 is the best shot timer as it has a Multi-Par function and you can adjust the beep volume so you don't drive your family nuts with all the beeping. The primary issues with the CED 7000 is its dedicated rechargeable battery and fragile construction. When I was using the CED 7000 for live fire practice I constantly battled the dead battery issue because I forgot to recharge it before going to the range. It is also not constructed in a robust manner so dropping it when running yourself on drills will likely result in breaking it.

The only negative I have for the Pocket Pro II is the LCD screen isn't protected from moisture well. The pocket clip angle has the screen pointing straight upwards so you can see the screen easily. But it being pointed upwards also promotes collecting water in wet range conditions. While practicing in rainy or wet range conditions I have ruined the LCD screen on my Pocket Pro II a couple of times. Both times I ordered a replacement LCD screen from Competition Electronics and soldered it in myself for about $10 and it was back in action. You could also send the shot timer back to CE and they can repair it for you at a minimal charge.

That's good to know that they will sell you parts.  Most electronic manufacturers want to repair it themselves or tell you to buy a new one.

3 hours ago, alexmg said:

Actually there have been, google "amg lab commander" ;)

Good to know.  I hadn't heard of that one.  Look forward to seeing them put to use and see how well they hold up.  Competition is good for the consumer.  The more manufactures that build them the better quality/features we can expect to see in the future.  I did think this might be a good business venture...but I guess someone else thought so too. 

Edited by Yoakam
Added content

2 hours ago, Yoakam said:

That's good to know that they will sell you parts.  Most electronic manufacturers want to repair it themselves or tell you to buy a new one.

Thinking about the missing Multi-Par feature I called Competition Electronics and suggested that they add that feature to their next version of shot timer. They said they are in the initial stages of designing a new shot timer and appreciated the feedback on additional features like that.

The other thing they said is that the newer Pocket Pro II timers have a clear plastic shield over the LCD now so they are more water resistant than the older ones like I have. They said the plastic shield was deployed a couple of years ago so if you are buying a new shot timer today it should come with it. That is good news as the LCD getting wet was the only physical down side to the Pocket Pro II.

9 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Thinking about the missing Multi-Par feature I called Competition Electronics and suggested that they add that feature to their next version of shot timer. They said they are in the initial stages of designing a new shot timer and appreciated the feedback on additional features like that.

The other thing they said is that the newer Pocket Pro II timers have a clear plastic shield over the LCD now so they are more water resistant than the older ones like I have. They said the plastic shield was deployed a couple of years ago so if you are buying a new shot timer today it should come with it. That is good news as the LCD getting wet was the only physical down side to the Pocket Pro II.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll check it out once it's in hand for that feature. Might have to get another when the new one is released. 

On 1/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, HI5-O said:

I was told about this timer at our last match. It looked good and I just pre-ordered one today. Always wanted a smaller timer than the Pocket Pro

https://www.amg-lab.com/

It's a great timer...  Check out the video...  Lots of new features...  Two start time delays for dry firing (fixed plus random)...  Bluetooth connectivity pulls stage times from AMG timer directly into PractiScore...

17 minutes ago, euxx said:

I didn't want to ruin all the surprise...  😉

The 'Time Chart' option in PractiScore Competitor is an amazing tool...  Extremely helpful to see how you visually compare to another shooter that shot the match and stages (and was timed with an AMG timer)...  It's a great tool to see/compare splits and transitions with someone that's faster than you...  or a group of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been in the market for a timer lately and thought that I would be able to save a bit on buying used. It became clear that not many people liquidate timers and when they do, its at a price close to new and they go quick.

MidwayUSA has a CED7000 for 119+Shipping and I found and old discount code for $15 off so essentially $110 shipped for a new CED7000.

Obviously, ill probably spring for the belt clip and maybe even a spare battery just in case.

Is there another deal out there that beats this? I haven't been able to find a new one for much less.

4 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

Ive been in the market for a timer lately and thought that I would be able to save a bit on buying used. It became clear that not many people liquidate timers and when they do, its at a price close to new and they go quick.

MidwayUSA has a CED7000 for 119+Shipping and I found and old discount code for $15 off so essentially $110 shipped for a new CED7000.

Obviously, ill probably spring for the belt clip and maybe even a spare battery just in case.

Is there another deal out there that beats this? I haven't been able to find a new one for much less.

Just get a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II. You don't need to buy any other accessories for that timer and it works awesome.

6 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

https://www.amg-lab.com/

If you're a competitive shooter, you might want to go with the AMG Labs timer... 

It's a great timer, plus it has the ability to export stage times directly to PractiScore tablets using Bluetooth...  Individual shot times are also saved in the PractiScore match database and can be downloaded into PractiScore Competitor where they can be displayed graphically...  Multiple shooters can be compared visually on a shot by shot basis...  It's a great tool!

...and more stuff is coming for that AMG timer.

Charlie, you really may need to rethink your recommendations fro the PocketPro ones. At least until they will figure out how to rip off feature of AMG timer :)