Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Budget, Limited Gun

Cheytac

But bottom line, shoot what you are comfortable with because if you try to force something, it will never be quite right.

I agree with this. I bought a glock35 because it was the best option at the time for the price. It has been an up hill battle to master it and I'm proud of myself for sticking with it. However, as soon as I reach my goal I will be getting something else because it just doesn't quite jive with me. I too am in a budget and am probably moving to the M&P pro platform. The balance is nicer than the XDM in my opinion and the trigger is like a dream come true compared to my glock. I have a friend that has shot an M&P 9 pro for 200 rnds a day for the last 6-7 months and cleaned it only once with no malfunctions. That's good enough for me!

If you are shooting a G34 then I will have to deff push you on toward the G35-24. You already have the muscle memory built in. Mag pouches and holsters are interchangeable between the 34/35 I think you may make a mistake going to XD now. Not that they are a bad platform but it will be much cheaper and an easier transition which for you means instant results. Maintain the same type of sights as on your 34, (Sevigney Comp recommended highly here) and same mag/slide release length. All u need is ammo and mags and Glock takes the cake on mag prices. Of course u can find a used CR Speed for Glock holster add their mag pouches and their belt and presto change o you are set for Limited/Limited 10, then change ur mag angles and adjust their position on belt, swap out the holster and boom back to production and 3-Gun you go!

But I do gotta say thatvtge forward set sear trigger from Apex is nice in the M&P Pro 40 and they handle great and the grip angle is soooooo nice! But mags are a touch higher (+ side note-they

are all metal :) ) and you can get the sevigney comp sights

Each will extoll the virtues of the platform they use and I'm no different. I run a Para 16-40 Limited w/ Dawson FO sights. I use Para mag bodies w/ Dawson followers and extensions and Wolf 10% springs. I had Shay at AKAI throat the barrel "long" and it'll run 100% with anything I want to feed it. I currently run 40 major 180 lead @ 1.20 from Doug @ DC AMMO and rested I can cover all shots with the palm of my hand at 15 yards. I have less than $1200 invested. Pick whatever appeals to you and shoot snot out of it. :cheers:

I have been looking hard at the XDM 40 with the drop in trigger kit. The triggers I have felt are very nice, probably the best I have experienced with a polymer gun. I like the grip safety and the fact that they have not had a history of extractor/extraction problems.

Well I simply "extoll the virtues" of the G35 due him shooting a G34 already. I have shot everything except and STI, CZ, and M&P that I have put my .02 in on. It just makes good practical sense. The OP says he's on a budget. So depending upon said budget that will put almost all steel guns or S_I platforms out of the question. Sure maybe the gun price isn't that bad but putting everything else with it then u r in deep. I still stand bye the advice of try the ones ur thinking of first. Run you a few mags of the power factor floor ur planing to use and see what u like. But for pure Limited Budget, Limited Gun then G35 is gonna be the best fit. I ended 2011 with an EAA Tanfo Stock II and look how it fits my hand but my P16 is on it's way back from FGW soon I hope and I'll be making my decision on my 2012 pistol then. Either way I like the all steel guns always have. I started with a gen 3 G35 in limited first (picked up off classifieds here mind you, as well as my pair of P16s, G24 parts, and my Stock II...). My G24 was put together from parts it was never a bought G24 and my first P16 was traded for the EAA while my other was getting a much needed face lift..Thanks Bobby Keigans...I shoot all three platforms well enough but gotta find one the one I am gonna stick with.

Ok, back to a few questions that I didn't answer when I should have, my apologies.

Budget, I do not have a set dollar figure, but I can't put down over a $1,000 right now. So my idea was buy a gun, change sights, & trigger. That would get me started, along with a few magazines.

Reloading, I don't reload now. I'd love too but again the budget doesn't allow for the initial start-up. Maybe I should stick with the "production" division and put my money into reloading? Anybody have some equipment that they aren't using that would be willing to loan it out for a fella shooter to get started with?

Wow, I looked at some magazine prices. You non-Glock people pay bigger money for your magazines... :surprise:

The G35 is looking good. I have a few magazines already. And I could use my "Production" holster to get started in "Limited" then add a better holster later.

My being drawn to the XDm platform is most likely due to TGO using it...? So, if that is the reason, it isn't reason enough to change from the Glock platform that I am currently using. I'll still check it out and the M&P. However, I believe that it would be best, for now, to stick with the Glock.

Any further info,suggestions, insights, etc would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy once, Cry once, get an STI and be done with it.

LOL my philosophy and my vote. After I bought a Ranger 2, I had to sell my Glock, end of story. Now I have a Tactical .45 for Limited 10 - I just have no interest in shooting the .40 "Short & Weak" and if I ever did go to a .400 barrel it would be for the 10mm. Hmmm...Perfect 10 for Limited? Maybe in a couple years...ok, back on topic...

I shot and loved my Glock for years; it just runs like a champ, mags are cheap, add-ons are everywhere, etc. Tried the XDm 5.25 and just did not like the way it sighted, felt in the hand, trigger...Not sure, but I just didn't care for it one bit. If you like Glock, stick with Glock for now.

Since you brought up reloading, it took all of 15 minutes for me to find a used dillon Square Deal B in the classifieds, got it for $280. Just post that you want to buy one, it's that simple! Then, hit up Midway for a tumbler, scale, calipers, bullet puller, chamber checker, primer flipper and you are set to reload for under $500. Granted, you'll need powder, bullets and primers, plus time, but hey...it's the way to go and where you'll want to be someday, anyways.

Still, my vote is either Glock, or check the classifieds for a 2011...they really are as sweet as you think, and the first time shooting one is almost a religious experience :devil: Seriously, the first time out with my Tactical, I put 300 rounds through it grinning like a mad man the whole time...best 30 minutes of my life :cheers:

The mags...yeah...those aren't cheap. So my new vote is save up another $500, sell your Glocks, organs, pets, etc. because it is soooooooo worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Buy once, Cry once, get an STI and be done with it.

OK, I can understand this for the better trigger and such. But then would you go .40 or .45? It "seems like" it's a bit more touchy to get the .40's running in the 2011 pattern....?

Ok, so I am on a limited budget and wanting to get into the USPSA Limited Division. Yes, I'd love to have a custom 2011 but my budget doesn't allow that.

So; G24, G35, M&P, XDm 5.25, or something else? Which would you prefer or use, and why? Comparisons would be great.

Thanks...

I've been very happy with my Apex/SSS M&P .40 Pro. :D (BTW, I have an STI Edge, and I shoot better with my M&P!)

Edited by rack&roll

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind getting the redding glock g-x whatever die for fixing the glock bulge then you can rock a G35 pretty inexpensively in limited. Then when your stills eclipse the capabilities of the platform you can move on to a STI Edge or something like that. I would love to buy an edge or similar but I am also building a limited gun on the G35 frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is someone elses 2 cents...I started shooting limited with an m&p. its been an awesome pistol for me. magwell from sss and trigger job by Dan Burwell. you can get a used one for under $500. That said, I also just got into my first 2011. Its used and awesome-er.

Can't tell you what I prefer as I've only shoot a few Limited guns and even then just a few rounds through each, but I can tell you what I have. I have a S&W M&P FS 40 and a SA XDM 5.25 40. I'm currently running the XDM with the M&P as a backup. Got the M&P in a trade and have about $982 into the XDM. That includes the gun, 4 mag extensions (20 rounds), mag well and tungsten guide rod.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you already have a G34, you could just get a G24 top end from Lone Wolf for cheap. Get a set of sights and a mag well from Dawson, buy mags and extensions (I went with Arredondo) and you're ready to go.

That said, if you're planning on shooting USPSA on any sort of regular basis, you need to reload or you will waste a lot of money on factory ammo. A good beginner progressive reloading set up (Dillon Square Deal) should probably be your first priority.

• 1 month later...

I don't think you ever said what your budget was but I would seriously look at the CZ Tactical Sport (used one).Then when you wanted to switch to a STI type gun, you would be used to the steel framed gun already.

Till I can save up the money, I'm using my single stack 1911 with 10 round mags. I'll probably shoot more L10, but I'll shoot limited with it. If the courses are 8 round neutral like they are supposed to be, I know I'll lose a little bit of time with reloads between shooting positions, but that is just motivation for me to get faster/smoother with my reloads. :-)

I can run the single stack,,or I can shoot my G17 and run limited minor. A's are still worth 5 points in minor, so till the day I've got the money, I have plenty options to shoot.

Besides, I have to get my press back up and running (it is on its way back to Dillon for refurb, right now), I have to get a new loading bench built, and I have to get a supply of reloading components. After that I'll start saving up for my limited gun,,,,press conversion kit, more components and etc.

All while crying over the increases in the costs of our game since I got out of it about 5 years ago. :o

• 3 months later...

Just a thought if you really want an xd get a standard xd in 40 in 5". Get a good trigger and sights and your pretty close to same price as xdm but with a better trigger. Plus mags are $22 at brownells (last I checked) this leaves you pretty close to just under $1000 after holster. Having said that a sdb will allow you to shoot more with what you have and money left over for accessories for your current gun.