Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Budget, Limited Gun

Cheytac

Ok, so I am on a limited budget and wanting to get into the USPSA Limited Division. Yes, I'd love to have a custom 2011 but my budget doesn't allow that.

So; G24, G35, M&P, XDm 5.25, or something else? Which would you prefer or use, and why? Comparisons would be great.

Thanks...

I ran a G22 for a bit until I recently picked up a built 2011.

My next step was to actually buy a LWD G24 slide with the top slot cut and run the 6in gun. I liked how cheap my glock mags are, ran arrendondo basepads (I'd do dawson or another alum instead of the plastic if I did it again). That mags seemed to drop a bit slow if they were empty or had less than 5 rounds.

My glock route was headed to: G24, tungsten guide rod, glocktriggers.com trigger kit, dawson heavy ice magwell, KKM or LWD barrel.

I have no experience with M&P or XD

but, if you have a limited budget, why not shoot production?

If Glocks fit your hands, a G35 tuned up a bit will do nicely (says the guy who does not like them). I love working on them, don't like shooting them. Granted a limited gun can be 'grip enhanced' so it wouldn't be so bad.

M&P's have a much better trigger and (for me) better ergo's. Comparing a tuned M&P trigger with a tuned Glock trigger, both at 2#'s, the M&P is still better for me. Shorter reset, crisper break. Just start with an "L" or Pro.

Parts are plenty for both. Both cost about the same. Both would benefit from sights and trigger work. Both can be stippled to achieve a great grip. I would go M&P, add Tungsten guide rod with 13# spring, and sights first. Then add trigger job, stipple and magwell in that order.

Find which one fits your hand and feels/points good for you and go with it. I've had a Glock 34&35, XDm 5.25 and a custom 2011. I still have the XDm and 2011, but got rid of the Glocks because I just preferred the feel of the others. If I wasn't already spoiled by the 2011, I'd probably have a few more of the XDm's to be honest.

Edited by R-Bros_JLR

Might I suggest you check out here in the the "Factory Pistol" thread. You can find pixs of Limited builds for several of the pistols mentioned. I know the Para P16 wasn't on your list but you might be able to find a used one in the Classifieds here. I had one and once I got ammo length sorted out it was 100%. Sold it though and went back to my Para P14 in .45 and used the $$$$ for something else.

FWIW

Richard

Edited by chirpy

Not sure if your sticking to Glock/XD, but I will throw a different one at you... Tanfoglio/EAA. I started with a g34, and because of my personal preference moved on. I moved on to a Tanfoglio Match then on to a Limited. Great 2011 platform at a reasonable price point, and pretty much run right out of the box. New mag options have made it even better to run them. Both guns really only need a FO front sight. I got a Match for $600, that I shot for a couple years.

Dont know what your budget is, but thought I would offer up a different option than discussed here.

Matt

The Tanfos will cost more than the Glocks, XDs, M&Ps though. A limited 40 runs around 1k new and henning mag sets are around $500. Add in the limited rig and ur close to 2011. But I shoot a Tanfo Stock II now and love it. But it's decked out with all the Henning/EGW parts and has a set if henning mags and the CR-Speed rig so it's deff more costly than my G24 which I can shoot as good usually.

A while back I read about the European American Armory Witness Limited or Limited Pro being a good gun if you didn't want to have to drop a lot of money on a STI or similar gun. For around $1200 new you can get the gun and mags that are ready to go for Limited division. It's not a bad price if you want the 2011 feel. I know that after I got my M&P I dropped another $350 on getting my gun ready to compete in Limited. I was looking at going this direction until I decided that I didn't want to waste my time right now getting used to a 1911/2011 feel.

As for a comparison I liked my M&P40 4.25" better than I like my Glock 34 (same as the 35) as far a ergonomics. I just got a M&P9 Pro Series and after shooting it, I am going to get a M&P40 Pro Series when I switch back to shooting Limited. I don't where you live, but I had Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron in Jones, OK do all of the work on my gun and it is awesome. What ever gun you get I would say save some money and have him do competition job on it.

I took too long writing my ideas. :-)

Edited by Schuster

Will you shoot other games as well? A G24 can only run in USPSA but a G35 can do both USPSA and IDPA. I have run G24 in USPSA and an M&P in IDPA SSP. I like the M&P ergos much better but both are great and reliable guns. I sold the G24 because for me it was a one trick pony. I still have a G35 set up to run both USPSA Limited and IDPA ESP. It’s a reasonable compromise but I would prefer to have it as an M&P. Right now I’m shooting a 1911 in SSTK / CDP, until at least until the SSTK Nats. After that, I might go back to Limited / ESP and see if I can learn to love the Glock or I just may sell it and suck up the loss to move to the M&P.

You can get a used G35 set up for Limited in the $600 - $800 range depending on mod's and mag's. I don't see many used M&P's set up for Limited up for sale.

The money is in the magazines. If you are on a budget, you can not beat the price of Glock magazines.

The G35 would be my choice. You should be able to put together a very competitive Limited Gun package (gun and mags) for under a grand.

Either choice you make will be fine nxt match you go to ask the guys with they types if guns your looking into to try them out. I hve never met a fellow shooter whom has not offered to let someone try thier gun out to see how they like it or not.

How limited is your budget? Limited enough where you're going to reload? Will projectiles cost be an issue? One thing to consider is that Glocks may limit your ability to use lead bullets. Some folks have used them for years with no problems. But lead is not recommended for polygonal rifling. Also, with a stock Glock barrel, you may be fighting the "Glock bulge" in your brass if you reload. This may add expense and time to your reloading.

The Glock is a pretty universal platform. I just can't shoot them. I also have an odd preference for metal frames. My suggestion would be along the lines of an EAA or CZ (although getting a TS ready to go will probably run $1400 with mags before holster and pouches.) If it had to be a lower-cost polymer option, I'd take an XDM based on ergos.

I like the Glock 35 for its versatility. I can shoot just about any division with a couple of exceptions in USPSA and IDPA. All it takes is drop a part here or there and you are good to go. Can't beat the price compared to some of the other options. That way you can spend more on ammo to improve your skills. I have found that for most of us, the gun really doesn't make that much difference. It's more about what's behind the gun, than the gun. But bottom line, shoot what you are comfortable with because if you try to force something, it will never be quite right.

Edited by swatcop

My mistake, I am already shooting a G34 in USPSA Production and the local Multi-Gun matches.

So, with all that has been posted so far, it appears that a G35 is the front-runner.

For some reason, I am being drawn to the XDm 5.25? I guess I need to go handle and fire one if I can find someone with one, or if my local range rents them out.

RUSHARP2, I appreciate the offer but I am in Florida.

I would still like further comments and suggestions.