Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm Major Powder?

shooter995

HS-6 has a progressive burn rate that is ideal for 9mm Major. I like it because of it's availability, recoil impulse, it's high consistency in pressures right at max, and it disposes bullets on target.

Edited by 9mmMike

You're loading short (compared to some other platforms.) I'd use the slowest powders (and the shortest bullets) available just to keep the pressure down as much as possible. I'd suggest N105 (yes you can make major with it in 9mm) 3n38, AA7.

Could you share your Major 9mm recipe with N105? Thanks.

You're loading short (compared to some other platforms.) I'd use the slowest powders (and the shortest bullets) available just to keep the pressure down as much as possible. I'd suggest N105 (yes you can make major with it in 9mm) 3n38, AA7.

Could you share your Major 9mm recipe with N105? Thanks.

9.6 grains, 1.19" OAL, Win SR primers, 125 grain Zero JHP out of a 4.5" shorty with 4 popple/bbl holes (Brazos ProSx) got me 168 pf.

9.8 grains got me 171.

You can't get much more than 9.9-10 grains in the case. However, with a longer bbl and or no bbl holes, you could make major probably closer to the low 9's.

I had one of the first 17L Glocks and shot it major until 9MM was outlawed for major. It was most accurate at around 1432fps with a 130gr .38super bullet (.356). That was a PF of 186 ( when PF was 175 for major ) The cartridge was loaded with the bullet as far out as possible with that particular gun. Used small rifle primers and 4756. unfortunately, that was a while back and I don't remember the charge weight. Was loaded on a Dillon 1000 by Tommy Weston, who was Area 4 Director at that time.

Let's talk OAL, with AA#7, 10gr with 124gr MTG CMJ, I kept cranking down on the seating die and measuring trying to get to my normal 1.165, well it never happened. After a while I put a case with no powder in it and the thing was 1.120, so I ran another one and watched carefully as it moved to the crimp station it grew, no matter what it came out 1.180. This was a problem since my gun had a short hole in it, so I had to cure that with a Manson Head Space reamer, opened it up to 1.185. Not sure if a Glock will even take that in the mag. N105 I ran in 38SC with 115gr and had issues with the OAL growing on a hot day. 3N38 will likely be similar. You will also encounter the dreaded powder sling with these very full cases. Is it worth it, won't know till you try it. Every gun is a bit different.

There is no such thing as a safe 9 major round, if there was it would be in the load books. I tend to think of them as less dangerous at a longer OAL, I run SPP mostly magnums, lite it up. I've tried about everthing except N105 and at major they all start to flatten the edges of the primer. When you start to see no corner well that it definately not working.

Hello: Guys he has to load short--like 1.140" OAL short. I was using HS-6 and Auto Comp with the Glock 17 I built to try open. I was also using 115 grain Montana Gold JHP. I tried 2 different comps, the Jager and the Lone Wolf. The Jager shot flatter but the Lone Wolf was softer. I liked the Jager better. I also liked the HS-6 better since it was softer also. I am not sure the other powders listed would work with that short of OAL. Thanks, Eric

Let's talk OAL, with AA#7, 10gr with 124gr MTG CMJ, I kept cranking down on the seating die and measuring trying to get to my normal 1.165, well it never happened.

I just loaded up 26 rounds: 10 grains of AA7 with a 124 grain MG FMJ (I don't have any CMJ but would think their length is similar.) I measured ten of the middle rounds (I never measure the first or last 8 for OAL as all 8 stations aren't full on the 1050.) I loaded for 1.135 and got a range of 1.134 to 1.138" using mixed brass. I'll measure them again in the AM to see if they grow.

You can also use a shorter bullet. The 124 FMJ MG was .584" while my 125 JHP Zero was .565" Just using a different bullet can net you down almost .02"

After a while I put a case with no powder in it and the thing was 1.120, so I ran another one and watched carefully as it moved to the crimp station it grew, no matter what it came out 1.180.

Don't know what to tell you here unless you have a typo. If you put a round at 1.12" next to one that is 1.18", that should scare you. If you're saying that it's growing that much without any powder, with all due respect, you need review your reloading procedure.

You will also encounter the dreaded powder sling with these very full cases. Is it worth it, won't know till you try it. Every gun is a bit different.

AA7 is easy to load as its so dense. At 10 grains, you have a shade over .2" of empty case. You do have to go very slow with N105 and 3n38.

There is no such thing as a safe 9 major round, if there was it would be in the load books. I tend to think of them as less dangerous at a longer OAL, I run SPP mostly magnums, lite it up. I've tried about everthing except N105 and at major they all start to flatten the edges of the primer. When you start to see no corner well that it definately not working.

Most of the info I've seen have the OAL's on the shorter side. I think if you load as long as you can with the slowest powders, you might be close one way or the other. If you're loading with a faster powder and/or shorter OAL, you're definitely past SAAMI specs.