Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm: 124 or 147?

Lobonca

I shoot IDPA and steels. I have been using 115 gr. bullets and just recently tried the 147 gr. and have MUCH tighter groups. It seems a lot of good shooters also use the 124 gr. What do you recommend?

Use Montana Gold CMJ and Titegroup. Any load suggestions for the 124 and 147 are appreciated.

I have an M&P Pro 9mm.

Edited by Lobonca

...I've come to prefer the "push" style of recoil impulse the 147g bullet gives me verses the "snap" recoil impulse I get from a 115/124g bullet.

Feel is an important factor in making a choice as well as group size with feel being a very personal issue. My suggestion shoot them both and use what you "feel" is the right choice for you.

I hope this helps...

I just finished loading my first batch of 500 Zero 147 gr FMJ. Been shooting 124s for the past few years as I have found heavier bullets are more accurate in glocks, my wife's M&P a couple 1911s and most recently a SA 5.25.

For me personally, at the range I see only marginal differences between 147s and 124s. I realize others feel quite differently though.

I have experienced an abnormally high rejection rate loading the 147s on my 550. (> 15%) The rejection rate improved a little when I increased OAL to 1.14. The cases with the 147s all have a noticable bulge.

Bottom line, I am going back to 124s. They are a little cheaper and I will be spending far less time pulling bullets and reloading the culls.

im on a bit of a tight reloading budget and i couldnt justify jumping to 147 gr bullets. I use 124 gr Berrys and occasionally Zero's. Im using mixed brass, CCI 500 primers and 3.85 grs of tight group @ 1.11 COL. Im getting 133-135 pf out of my P30L and i expect to get about 134-136PF out of my STI spartan and i might back down the charge to 3.7-3.8 grs to drop my power factor down a bit closer 130ish.

I shoot IDPA and steels. I have been using 115 gr. bullets and just recently tried the 147 gr. and have MUCH tighter groups. It seems a lot of good shooters also use the 124 gr. What do you recommend?

Use Montana Gold CMJ and Titegroup. Any load suggestions for the 124 and 147 are appreciated.

I have an M&P Pro 9mm.

3.4g of Titegroup under a MG 147 CMJ produces a 130PF in my M&P9 Pro at 1.14 OAL. 4.0g behind the MG 124 CMJ produces similar results. YMMV

I like 147gr with tightgroup, I have also read some people like 160gr but Ive never tried them. Some people say the heavier bullets knock down steel better. The last couple years I shot .40 and in Sept witched to 9mm so everything I load is cheaper then I was used of. I dont think that $.01 per bullet if not less on a bulk order should determine what wieght to shoot. 124gr vs 147gr saves what? $10 or so on a 1000 round order?

I just shot a USPSA match a couple weekends ago (Production, GEN 4 G17), using several different loads. I haven't gotten a chance to chrono them yet, but they should all be around 135pf.

Berrys 147gr/3.5gr Titegroup/1.135 OAL

Zero 124gr JHP/4.1gr Titegroup/1.125 OAL

Zero 124gr JHP/4.8gr WST/1.125 OAL

Zero 124gr JHP/5.1gr WSF/1.125 OAL

I'll throw my disclaimer that I don't have a ton of competition shooting experience, but I humbly consider myself a mid-level shooter.

I could not tell a difference in feel between any of these loads during the match. On a trip to an indoor range prior to this match, I decided that the 124gr/TG load was probably going to be it for me. It felt the best, and was the most accurate for me by a small margin. The 124gr/WSF load seemed to have the most felt recoil, but was right on par with the TG load's accuracy. I almost wrote that load off. I didn't like the feel of the WST load at all, but accuracy was good.

During the match, I ended up shooting the 124/WSF load the best. I had more "A" zone hits with that load, I felt faster, an the sights seemed to track better for me.

I decided to stay with the 124's, but I will continue my testing with the WSF & TG loads.

I use MG 147's with N320. I have tried 115's and 124's, but nothing compares to the 147's.

135gr BayouBullet puts 147's to shame.

I have heard good things about the 135gr Bayou bullet. I just ordered a thousand the other day to try out. But it will be a couple of months before I get a chance to load them up and try them.

Well I decided that I need to try some more 147's before the start of the season, so I ordered a sample pack from Precision Delta. I'm very happy with the quality of their 124gr, so I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison.

I haven't dipped into lead yet, not sure if I'm going to or not, but I have heard plenty of good things about Bayou Bullets.

I have an M&P Pro 9mm.

Scince your M&P gets MUCH tighter groups with 147's I personally would look no fuurther. If the accuracy were not an issue (all giving equal good accuracy) the 124's are a great compromise of knockdown efficiancy and ease of reloading. I find the 147's a pain to reload.

I use MG 147's with N320. I have tried 115's and 124's, but nothing compares to the 147's.

135gr BayouBullet puts 147's to shame.

I have heard good things about the 135gr Bayou bullet. I just ordered a thousand the other day to try out. But it will be a couple of months before I get a chance to load them up and try them.

They are as accurate as the 147's, cheaper, and I like the feel better, at the same pf there is less recoil, IMHO, YMMV. It could also be that since I shoot open a lot I like the quicker recoil impulse.

As far as reloading goes, the Jacketed 124's are easiest since I can use the bullet feeder, everthing else is the same effort.

Edited by CocoBolo

Why do you find them a pain to reload? I don't think they are any harder or more difficult.

More specifically I find a much higher reject rate when case gaging. I gage every bullet. Pulling bullets is part of the work of reloading and I hate that with a passion. For me 124's are as accurate as147's and I had one pull in the last 1000 due to a split case.

I tried some Bayou Bullet 135's behind 3.9 of AA2 today, and they shot great. PF was 132 @ 1.150 on my test last month, but today I loaded them to 1.130 and they were more accurate. Felt really good, and the sight tracked great. Ran them through the Shadow, PM9, EAA, and HK P30. Very impressed with the feel and accuracy. Was able to clean the plate rack several times and head shots at 15 yds was all in the square box.