Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is a really fast split? What are the GM's capable of?

digby7

Just curious what kind of splits guys like Blake Miguez, KC and others with very fast times have?

Doing a bill drill into the berm I can occasionally get down to .15/.16

I know that there is more to improving than just ridiculous splits but I am mainly curious how low a ridiculous split can get? Are people in the .08 range?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only a B class shooter but my normal splits are in the .15 range. The fastest I've ever done was a .10 on a couple of rare occasions. I can pull the trigger fast, sometimes I just don't hit anything while doing it.

I'm only a B class shooter but my normal splits are in the .15 range. The fastest I've ever done was a .10 on a couple of rare occasions. I can pull the trigger fast, sometimes I just don't hit anything while doing it.

How far?

I can do a .17 on a target 5 yards away but definitely not at 15 yards.

This is a really fast split. It was at worst a charlie, didn't shoot any deltas on that stage. Maybe it's a .10 or .11? Wish I checked the timer, had no idea until I watched the video later - anyway don't think I could do it again if I tried...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROBRtvccS4E&feature=youtu.be

And for the record, I'm with the "it doesn't matter" camp.

Edited by DonovanM

Who cares about splits? The money is made in the transitions. :cheers:

Absolutely true!! That, and getting set up in a box so as to shoot as soon as your feet plant.

Sirveyr said, "...many people will be along shortly to offer their ridiculous unsupported claims that are somehow faster than a gun can mechanically function.".

I would love to see THOSE numbers. Back in the 80s, we "assumed" that when we got into trigger freeze, we were out-running the gun. It couldn't be US, right? Then Les Baer (then the Director of the Springfield Armory Custom Shop) rented a stroboscopic camera that ran at something like 600 frames per second. He had some shooters run splits that measured .12 or .13 seconds. The camera showed that the gun had completely cycled and settled back down an excruciatingly long time before the shooters' fingers started to come off of the trigger for re-set. The estimated cycling time was somewhere near 0.04/0.05 seconds.

We were NOT out-running the gun with trigger freeze... Damn, there goes my best excuse.

Who cares about splits? The money is made in the transitions. :cheers:

This, I don't worry about splits. I worry about seeing my sights to get good hits and getting my gun to the next target. The best splits I've done is around .13-.14 range, then again my transition is about the same on close targets :devil:

Second stage is a version of triple nickle

Les Baer (then the Director of the Springfield Armory Custom Shop) rented a stroboscopic camera that ran at something like 600 frames per second. He had some shooters run splits that measured .12 or .13 seconds. The camera showed that the gun had completely cycled and settled back down an excruciatingly long time before the shooters' fingers started to come off of the trigger for re-set. The estimated cycling time was somewhere near 0.04/0.05 seconds.

Amazing!

I am not sure, but many people will be along shortly to offer their ridiculous unsupported claims that are somehow faster than a gun can mechanically function. :rolleyes:

I have clocked .09's with my open gun but I don't have proof. These splits with the rifle sound pretty quick.

I am not sure, but many people will be along shortly to offer their ridiculous unsupported claims that are somehow faster than a gun can mechanically function. :rolleyes:

I have clocked .09's with my open gun but I don't have proof. These splits with the rifle sound pretty quick.

Nice shooting there mister!

Dude you can totally see your post stage adrenaline crash as you turn and take it all in. Like whew! That was cool.