Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else prefer handguns over rifles?

Gadgetech

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a kid, all I had was rifles and I was kinda scared of pistols. I bought my first pistol (92F) when I was getting ready for my first police academy and my first 1911 after I made Ranger. These days, I have a few long guns, but pistols are my "crack". I can't get enough of them, ever :cheers: ANd I'm sure you can guess what my favorite brand is :devil:

Edited by SV-COP

I started competing in precision rifle, worked my way to pistols and now shoot as much 3 gun as I can find. I really enjoy running the carbine the most, followed closely by pistol and precision rifle. Shotgun is still a step down from everything else, it's fun but I'd rather be shooting a rifle or pistol.

I shoot the rifle/shotgun better than I do the pistol mainly because I have alot more time behind the shotgun. If I have to fight and have a choice the rifle is what Im going for first with the pistol last.

Whats sad is one of my rifle barrels is only 1.5 inches longer than the pistol barre lol

I used to shoot IHMSA with a Ruger SBH and it's satisfying to tag a ram at 200 yards with open sights. My deer gun is a 14" T/C Contender w/ Holosight in .357 Herrett and it doubles as a woodchuck gun with the scoped .218 Bee barrel. And my "walk in the woods" gun is a S&W M19 4" .357. Now that I have a 1911 I've been having fun at the weekly concealed carry and IPSC-style matches. Steel Challenge matches are shot with an old Hi Standard .22. And I'm looking for a .40 just because I don't have one.

Once in a while I take the .308 to the range to see if I can still shoot it. AR's don't do a thing for me. My shotgun hasn't come out of the closet in a long time. Yeah, I've gone to handguns.

Right now my focus is on handguns. I really like the draw, the movement and the skill involved and the competition. However, I enjoy shooting all guns. 3-gun appeals to me, but I have no room or time or the funds to start down that path. That said, I own hunting rifles, shot guns and pistols.. and competition pistols.

As far as what I 'like', I'm going to echo No discrimination, which I believe was said above.

Gadgetech, Go to the NRA competition website or the online NRA competition shooting magazine and find a match director in your area running what is known as "NRA Smallbore Silhouette Rifle Match". The guys that shoot this sport will loan you equipment. Shoot one of these matchs. Everyone should experience it at least once in their life. Standing rifle position is a very difficult position. I shoot handgun competition because matchs are so prolific in my area plus many other reasons. The closest rifle silhouette match is 2 hours away but it is an addiction so I drive.

I train so hard(3 sessions a day for more than 6 weeks) before a major silhouette rifle match that I actually hate the rifle but love my performance at the match. The great thing is that the intense work with the rifle does not hinder my Production Handgun skills. Going from the 10 meter Air Rifle Match to the Hunter Silhouette Match in one day is the hardest transition I have ever made in the shooting sports.

Edited by atomicbrh

I started off shooting pistols more, because I end up at indoor ranges more often, and I do not have easy access to outdoor ranges where I can actually shoot longer distances/ larger calibers. I like both pistols and long guns though, and I am trying to get more proficient with the long guns by jumping into 3-gun competitions.

Small bore silhouette is what .17? I came across a thread talking about small bore that I'll have to revisit.

Pretty sure it's .22. .17 is pretty much an American varmint-zapping caliber.

I shot rifles competitively in college (Olympic style smallbore) and after 10 years in the Infantry, I love rifles.

Outside of competition, though, I shoot pistols more, because it's cheaper, and ranges are more accessible.

I ask b/c I only own one rifle and that's because it was an inheritance. I've looked into AR platforms as well as precision rifles and the more I look, the more I lose interest and start thinking about how nice a pistol (1911 or otherwise) I could get for the same money. Now where am I erring here? What do y'all like and why? Just trying to look at this from all angles and I'm curious about what you like and why. I must be missing something.

Gadgetech, I shoot both. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The handguns are nice for 25yards and under. But, I prefer Rifles I like long range shooting. I believe it is more difficult to shoot at 1,2,3 or 400yards with a rifle then to shoot 25 yards with a handgun.

I have competed in 3 Gun matches and don't get me wrong they were great fun, but I am definately a pistol man. I don't know if my lack of skill with a rifle is to blame, because I am not that impressive to watch with a pistol either. The difference for me is that with the pistol I want to get better.

I like them all! My buddies made fun of me for shooting in 22 matches, then they realized how much of a blast it is to shoot 75 steel targets in under 90 seconds. And pistols are fun. And shotguns are fun (not reloading them)

I cut my teeth as a whipper snapper shooting skeet and trap, and then IDPA. Couple that with an AR with a real optic and some practice, I'm a formidable 3 gunner! I do love them all, and you will most likely catch me carrying a pistol (or an 11" AR pistol in the car :surprise: ) and fondling a rifle at home. 30 rounds of 223 out of an 11" barrel is just too much fun to not do it all the time!

Guns :wub: