Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ or STI

joestefano

I am in the market for a new IPSC OPEN gun. The rub is I want to stay with 9mm. I shoot an Open Glock 34 now and will continue to use it for steel challenge and as a backup. I prefer buying new. I am looking for input deciding between the CZ 75TS Checkmate and a STI Trubor. Any input will be welcome.

I would call Shay with Akai Custom Guns! Shay would be what I'd call an expert on both the CZ and STI. He will not mislead you even if he's not the one to build your gun!

You can check out his website at acguns.com or call him at 954-328-5660. Either way, Good Luck and Good Shooting.

Lets not jump on the 2011 bandwagon too quick now. I've had the opportunity to play with both guns in specific and they are both very good.

The Trubor obviously has the advantage for parts and magazine availability.

The Czechmate comes with so many parts to begin with you'll probably never have to buy any anyway. It comes with several mags too, one of which is a big stick. Personally, I wish it just came with 3 big sticks, but oh well.

From what I understand, the Czechmate's barrel will need to be reemed for longer loaded ammo if one plans to shoot major. We don't have the luxury of SP2 in the states and that is pretty much what the Czechmate is designed to use from what I understand. If I remember correctly the barrel will only take rounds loaded to about 1.145 OAL. That's pretty damn short for major.

I've always been a fan of the slide in frame design as opposed to frame in slide (IE, CZ to 1911). It really seems to cut down the recoiling mass and make the gun recoil faster.

If you have small to medium sized hands, the Czechmate will also fit your hands better.

To be honest, the Trubors and Czechmate I have seen have all had reliability issues. I don't know if it was because of operator care or what, but they had failures. I haven't personally owned both platforms, so I can't comment on long term personal reliability.

The big downside of both guns in my opinion . . . the comp is too small. Also, instead of a Trubor I would definitely go with a Match Master since the prices are similar. It has a lighter slide, same comp, and I believe a full length recoiling system in a shorty, but I could be wrong on that.

As others have said, a custom gun maker would allow a better build with a bigger comp, but then we are talking money for that, is it worth it?

In summation, both are good guns and you won't go wrong with either. Get the Match Master instead of the Trubor though if you decide to go with the 2011 route.

S_I pattern. I think both platforms are equal, but in the USA parts and knowledge of the 2011 type gun are more available anywhere in the country. Same reason I would recommend a S_I over a CZ for limited... Lack of parts and experienced gunsmiths for the CZ.

From what I understand, the Czechmate's barrel will need to be reemed for longer loaded ammo if one plans to shoot major. We don't have the luxury of SP2 in the states and that is pretty much what the Czechmate is designed to use from what I understand. If I remember correctly the barrel will only take rounds loaded to about 1.145 OAL. That's pretty damn short for major.

Not all smiths in the S_I platforms build a 9major gun that requires them to be loaded longer. Also, I run that OAL (1.145) in my "small frame" Tanfoglio, no problems.

To the OP, good luck with whatever you choose to get.

Edited by Glk21C

the barrel will only take rounds loaded to about 1.145 OAL. That's pretty damn short for major.

Not all smiths in the S_I platforms build a 9major gun that requires them to be loaded longer. Also, I run that OAL (1.145) in my "small frame" Tanfoglio, no problems.

I've run my TruBor STI with 1.145" and it runs like a champ

with either HS6 or WAC.

Jack

• 2 months later...

I always listen to Eric. He tries everything.

Many platforms work well.

Angus does an incredible job for CZ custom.

Matt shot a Caspian Open gun for a while. He also does well with STI guns.

Baer uses a Caspian frame on their hi cap guns.

Max uses a Sig for winning what-every area match last year.

SV makes an incredible Open, or least Chris T. thinks so, since he has won enough titles with it.

9mm major in a STI wide body seems to need a smith who specializes in 9mm major, just my opinion. But a few of the well-know smiths have had excellent experiences with their 9mm major platforms.

Comp efficiency seems to be very dependent upon the specific load rather than long, short, etc.... for that comp. My friend had two Bedells - 5 inch and a shorty - who each seem to work better with loads designed of that particular comp. My SV with 8 million holes seems to like really hot loads and produces a profound concussion effect on the RO.

The problem with comparison is that there is SO much diversity within the 2011 that it is hard to expect it to be meaningful. I had some 2011's that simply did not work for my hands, and I had those that felt natural the first second. I presume there is similar variation within the CZ platform. I agree with baa - parts and service availability in the country should be one of the major considerations.

You need to shoot both (or as Czechmates are kind of rare, find someone w/ a TS Limited gun to check the ergonomics). I have a Czechmate and love it - I've shot CZ from Production through Limited to Open. I picked up a Brazos 2011 (9mm) and am playing around with it. Ergonomics aren't quite right yet but I'm still figuring it all out. At this point, the only thing that gives the 2011 the edge in my book is that having spent so much time w/ irons I like the 90-degree mounts to get the dot closer to the bore. Because of the frame angle on the CZ, using a Quinn mount results in the optic being slightly higher than on the 2011.

As for knowledgeable 'smiths... the Czechmate is a factory gun. I've run mine for 2 years now and have never done anything besides clean it. Once you get a load worked up the gun just works. That being said the big stick has puked (FTF) a couple of times but I've never had a problem w/ the standard TS 20-round mags. I think Grams was working on a kit for the big stick so that may solve the problem. But the gun itself is flawless.

The only work I've ever had done on any of my CZ's was to install fiber optic sights and Angus at czcustom took care of that for me.

Edited by grywlfbg

I looked at the CZ and Glock....but went with the S_I platform because of the knowledge base available to me, as well as the fact that it seams most (not all) of the top-dogs are running S_I in Open. I figured that I'd end up with an S_I someday...so why not just go there. I also figured that if I ever got tired of the gun, it'd be easier to trade or sell than the others. If you watch the classifieds, 9mm Open S_I pistols are picked up pretty quick.

I recently was able to shoot my buddies CZ that he shoots in production class in USPSA and IDPA. Very nice gun, even better with the trigger job… Great gun to compete with in production but as far as open class goes; I believe you can't beat a S_I platform.

To the OP, good luck with whatever you choose to get.

May I ask why you landed on 1.145? I have had some problems lately with my mags. I shoot the same gun as you do but I set mine to 1.150. OAL. I use Mac-gar bodies with Henning guts and pads. The mags takes 23 rounds.

Edited by olp73