Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock stock sights

Xander

I agree with all the comments regarding the stock sights that Glock insist on using. With that said, after trying several different combinations...I have found (at least for me) the best combination to be Dawson fiber optic front with a stock rear sight.

Again, it's all really personal preference :D

I can't come up with a single "pro", except maybe "Leaving them on will allow you to buy some more ammo".

The "cons" are numerous:

1. They're fragile. I was in a class at Glock and the Instructor was using a brand-new gun that they'd given him that morning. On the second or third draw-from-concealment, the rear sight snagged on something and ripped clean off. It flew downrange and landed at the feet of the target.

2. The "Dot in a 'U'" sight picture promotes shooting high. To line the sights up, most people find that they actually obscure the bottom quarter of the front sight dot with the bottom of the rear sight notch.

3. If the rear sight gets bumped in the least bit, it WILL move. If the front sight gets bumped, it will burr up and will look like a black mushroom.

4. Did I mention that they're fragile?

after trying several combinations such as Warren, Dawson ect, I found I shoot best with the original rear sight and a HI Viz front. Ater 2 years of regular shooting, my rear sight has been fine. I suspect Glock came to the realization that most shooters change their sights to suit them, so why have the customer spend the money on what Glock thinks is best, when most will change anyway. Case in point, my M&P Pro came with pretty good sights, but I changed them anyway, same for my XDM.

I used the stock sights forever simply because I didn't have the funds for a set of sights. I did decent with those but I went out and picked up a Heinie rear and DP FO front and made a world of difference. I'm loving this setup so far on my Glock35.

how about the steel ones, any good?

I don't think the Glock steel sights are much better than the plastic ones. Rounded corners on the rear sight channel and front sight. I like sharp corners on sights. Front sight is too wide for my liking also. Same problem with the Glock night sights.

how about the steel ones, any good?

I don't think the Glock steel sights are much better than the plastic ones. Rounded corners on the rear sight channel and front sight. I like sharp corners on sights. Front sight is too wide for my liking also. Same problem with the Glock night sights.

I agree. The only difference is the material. Way too much going on for me.

I've competed w/ it for some years in Prod. At the time (IPSC) sights should be stock. Performance-wise, I didnt experience the problems mentioned above. And I practiced and competed a lot. With fair share of succeses too :cheers:

Edited by BoyGlock

The sights we use may vary over time due to aging eyes.

I have been happy with Heinies and Warren sights. Night sights are a different topic.

I recently turned 50 years on earth and have found that I am loosing the front sight when shooting IDPA under time with Warren tactical sights.

I put an Ameriglo lumiDot front sight which is the same dimension as the Glock OEM.

These sights can be "charged" to glow with a quick flash of a light if you want them glowing.

With my aging eyes the dot in the goal post seems to work well inside 15 yds. Intend to replace rear sights with steel OEM glocks when these get worn.

One subtle attribute of the low profile glock sight is indexing the gun for close quarters unsighted fire or when time crisis does not allow full sighting.

It is a universal fact that the polymer OEM sights are fragile - both front and rear.

Fiber optic sights may be a good option for competition but I use the same sights for competition that I use for carry.

Best,

Satch

I agree, stock Glock sights are very poor. Even 15 years ago when I had good eyesight my stock G17 service pistol sights were not good. Now at 53 I have a Glock 19 fitted with plain black HEINIE sights. I find these nice and sharp for my old mans's eyes. But it is a matter of personal preference what suits your eyes. But yes the stock sights need to be thrown in the bin.

Edited by malagamarksman

I have the original adjustable sight on my 17, which I have owned and carried a lot since buying it in 1988, they never gave any trouble, i just last year, changed the front to a green fiber optic cuz my eyes are getting worse, my 34 has stock adjustable on it as well, I will eventually change the front to a fiber optic as well but will leave the stock rear.

Come on people get real, it is economics. Glock's original market was the Austrian military then someone suggested that American police were looking for something to replace their revolvers with but without exposed hammers and safeties. Now Glock is selling them by the hundreds of thousands and we have given away tons to the Iraqies for their police and military. Do you really think the average person (military - police) looks for the sight when people are shooting at them. Target shooting is different, if people want the Glock adjustable it is available because it was needed to raise the points so the G26 could be imported. Once here the sight was changed to the fixed sight, now they have more sights so more G26's could be imported. When the G27 was created the same applied.

IN BUSINESS MONEY IS PRIME or else Wal Mart wouldn't be subsidizing China.

I agree with all the comments regarding the stock sights that Glock insist on using. With that said, after trying several different combinations...I have found (at least for me) the best combination to be Dawson fiber optic front with a stock rear sight.

Again, it's all really personal preference :D

what glock are you using? are you shooting POA/POI with it? I have stock sights for now but might jump on the bandwagon. I haven't switched yet because I have a lot of other fundamentals to work on. that includes flinching

• 3 weeks later...

I like the sevigny's, but most of the others mentioned would also be better than stock. The thin front sight with a fiber optic and plain black rear is the biggest advantage. Front sight will really jump out at you and then thinner front sight helps when precision shots are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone competes with it, any pros and cons?

My 2 cents, They are great for the $, but I have recently upgraded a couple of guns to the Sevigny sights and they are very nice. For my comp guns I run the flat black on the back and black serrated on the front. For me, it comes down to personal preference. My 1911s have similar sights on them and after converting it is like riding a bike.

I've been competing with the stock sights on my 34 for a year and have done pretty good with the front white dot painted bright orange but not for much longer I'm ordering a hiene rear and dp fo front sight