Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed powders

Just when I thought I was over "stupid" I go and dump a half a powder measure worth of H-110 into about 3.5 pounds of W231. I hate to trash that much powder. Could use some advise. Thanks.

Been there done that with VV N350 and WST. I just poked 1/4" piece of copper tube into the bottom of the container and drained it out a cup at a time till I saw the first flake of WST. The appearance of the powder is very different and I had not shaken or turned the jug upside down. The rest went up in smoke.

It is better to be cautions than take chances.

another vote for dump it,..

I store powders across the room in a locker,.. only 1 container on the bench at a time...

for me it was a hopper of Bullseye into 2 Lbs of WSL you can now say you belong to the "done it" group not the "someday he will" group...

John

I go and dump a half a powder measure worth of H-110 into about 3.5 pounds of W231.

It has to be safer to dump it, but just wondering out loud,

"with a Very Light load, in a very large cartridge case (.357)

and a very strong pistol, is it really that unsafe to try one?"

Say, 3 grains under a light bullet, in a .357?

Worth asking the powder companies? They blend powders, from

what I hear.

Flame away ...

Jack

hope this is not a hijack

how about same powder different lots ?

Depends on the powder! Some lots are close in manufacturing then there is Solo 1000. Using a powder measure I usually wind up with a partial cyclinder that goes into a new canister. When it happens then it is back to load testing to see how the mix performs.

Hi-Power Jack

HP38 and WW231 are the same thing.

H110 and WW296 are also identical to each other

HS6 is the old 540 and HS7 is the old 571

231 and 296 are worlds different on the burn rate chart,.. I wouldn't try it.. my hands/firearmsare worth wayyy more than the $20-$30.00 savings trying to salvage powder

Light loads of 296 (H110) are Legendary,..for the wrong reasons....:excl: almost as bad as a heavy charge of 231..:surprise:

Juan> I used to mix lots,..you just have to be careful no sparks etc. and make sure ONLY that powder type is open on the bench,..you mix a pound of one with a different powder you get 2 pounds of fertilizer.... Back when I loaded Hi Power Rifle I would mix all my IMR 4895 and then return to the cans marked common lot "Garand-1" and work up a load then go a whole season, later I did that with my 10mm and a quantity of WSL since Winchester had the same problem as quoted by LPatterson and his Solo 1000 experience..

I can't say you should or should not do it, thats up to you...

+ 1 to dump the mixed powder. Sometimes a mistake comes with a cost, and in this case it is 3.5 lbs of ww231 and some H110. But the lesson, as has been mentioned, is to only keep the powder you are currently working with on the bench. As far as salvaging it, in my book the risk is not worth whatever might be gained. I suppose if you could thoroughly mix the powders and you had some need for 5000+ mouse fart loads in something strong like a TC contender, and you were willing to work up that load for that gun, then it might be a consideration. However, ??? factor would always be in the back of your mind. I'm betting that you never do this again! ;)

As for mixing lots, I agree it depends on the powder as Mr. Patterson stated. Some powders are super consistent between lots (ww231) and some aren't (AA2230, somewhat for AA#7). The AA2230 loads I used in the late 80's are not the ones I use today. I try to finish off as much as reasonably possible of a lot before starting another, and with powders known to have lot-to-lot variance I'll load some trial rounds and chronograph.

Looks like the mixed powder is history. :( Thanks to the forum for giving me good advise and not derision. You people were more concerned with my safety. Walk the walk. I like that. Ok, my lawn just made major PF. :cheers:

Looks like the mixed powder is history. :( Thanks to the forum for giving me good advise and not derision. You people were more concerned with my safety. Walk the walk. I like that. Ok, my lawn just made major PF. :cheers:

Yep. Don't put it on Momma's flowers unless you water the drop. It will burn them (not in the fire sense). Same with your lawn, unless you spread it out.

Yep. Don't put it on Momma's flowers unless you water the drop. It will burn them (not in the fire sense). Same with your lawn, unless you spread it out.

Well duh.